• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Basic Reloading Equipment For a Newbee Reloader

stangfish

Nemesis
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2011
West of East
I see the question asked on several Forums requesting advice on how to get started or which kit to buy. This is what I think is required to produce quality rifle reloads. If I missed something or you have a favorite tool, post it and I will add it. If this has been covered before sorry.

*A Mentor(Thanks 427Cobra)

*Relaoding Book(s): Sierra is the Benchmark but it is good to have a couple depending on whose bullets you use.

*Single Stage Press: A turret or progressive is nice but for making quality ammo it is not required. RCBS Rockchucker,Lee Classic, Hornady LNL ...

*Powder Throw. RCBS uniflow....

*Powder Scale Balance Beam: RCBS 10-10, 10-5

*Powder Scale Electronic: If you choose to go this route over a beam scale, A Gempro 250 at the minimum.(No cheap stuff. You will regret it)

*Powder trickler: RCBS, Anything really (you can add weight to the lighter ones to keep it stable.

*Powder Funnel: Get a set for different sized cases; RCBS, MTM

*Reloading Block: The Frankford Arsenal works.

*Case Trimmer: A must; Lyman or Wilson(requires holders)

*Deburring Tools: Flash hole uniformer, Inside and Outside Chamfer Cutter, Carbide Primer Pocket Uniformer/Cutter.

*Dial Calipers: Quality is good, Good resolution required for accuracy.

*Case headspace gauge: To help set up you dies so you dont bump your shoulders back to far; Hornady Case Headspace Gauge

*Dies: You can spend a lot or go cheap. The important thing is you understand how important all of you case prep is.

*Stoney Point: Actually a Hornady OAL gauge. Used to find the lands on your barrel. Requires modified cases.

*Priming tool: Hand primers are fast. RCBS is a pain but works good. The older Lee was pretty good, Don't know about the new one.

*Bullet puller: At some point you will need one. Inertia or collet just get one when you can.

I borrowed this,
(Maggitas)Here is the setup I have

1. Forster Coax Press
2. Forster National Match seating dies. Redding is great too.
3. Thulmers Stainless Tumbler
4. Imperial sizing wax
5. Sinclair International Loading blocks
6. Giraud case trimmer
7. Hornady headspace gauge & ogive gauge.
8. L.E. Wilson case gauge
9. Mitoyoto dial calipers 1 digital 1 analog.
10.RCBS Chargemaster 1500. If you need more accuracy buy a Acculab scale and a Harrell's powder measure. If you really want the cat's meow then you can get a Prometheus II.
11.RCBS Kinetic bullet puller
12. Satern Powder funnel
13.Lyman & Sierra Loading manuals
14.Hornady Priming tool
15.Sinclair International Primer Pocket uniforming tool.
16.A LOT OF PATIENCE.

Thanks Maggitas

Re: What I think a new reloasder should have.

A new reloader needs a mentor, the tools used to reload ammo is subjective.

I started reloading 2 months ago. I set it all and was getting ready to try to reload my first bullet, Then i decided to have a buddy come over and help me. I thought i had a clue of what to do. I was wrong. A mentor is the best investment to be made in reloading. He saved me all the headaches.

awesome info. Thanks.

I'm about to venture into reloading and was looking around for some kind of quality kit that would get me most of the essentials, because I'm not even sure what I do or don't need.

Something I think is missing from the list, RCBS precision mic. Makes finding lands a breeze and much more reliable than any DIY tool I have tried.

I bought the hornady single stage deluxe kit. Then bought a case trimmer separate.

To add to the list. A battery backup to plug all your electronic gadgets into. They love clean power.

Re: Basic Reloading Equipment For a Newbee Reloader

Stangfish, The top part of your list will serve you well for life, and load fine ammo. The bottom part of your list will do the same thing while going first class. All of the companies offer kits that will serve your needs. You can usually sell used reloading equipment and get most of your money back, if you buy a kit and want to up-grade sometime later. Its up to you and your budget whether you go entry level or first class. Either way, you can load ammo that as good or better than factory ammo.
A mentor would be great. Most shooters/reloaders are friendly and willing to help a newby, just ask around at the range or gun store. This site is large enough that there is probably even a member near you. If I only had one book, I would choose the Lyman. I have an electronic scale, a RCBS chargemaster, but I kept my beam scale for back-up. If you load military brass you will need a tool to remove the primer crimp,and theres several types. Hope this helps, Lightman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daddypop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something I think is missing from the list, RCBS precision mic. Makes finding lands a breeze and much more reliable than any DIY tool I have tried. </div></div>

I think that was addressed with the Hornady Stoney point in both list. I found the RCBS to work well but the Hornady is very veratile and works well with the same stuff as the Hornady Case Headspace gauge kit. I will add it to my list.

Liteman, I agree one hundred percent. The two lists fit both of my objectives as you discribed. Some new guys don't know anyone that can mentor them. So I thought that if they knew the stuff they would need up front they would have some idea of what a complete reloading bench my contain.