• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Advanced Marksmanship Basics Of Shooting With Limited Equipment

Vamike9

Patriot
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Virginia
    www.youtube.com
    Hey guys,
    Posting this here for myself and every other shooter striving to become the most complete long range marksmen they can be.

•What are the absolute essential skills to get long range hits with limited equipment?

•What's the math involved and how to use it as quickly and efficiently as possible?

It's always a pleasure to hear from you guys on your long range experience. Thanks for helping us all.

As limited as possible, the rifle setup but without any aids. For example, no ballistic calculators or range finder. Just your dope card for that specific setup.
    Math Fundamentals for long range, before it changed via technology.

•Mil Ranging Formula
    •Finding out what angle you are shooting from.

Anything else that is helpful, thanks.

With a milling reticle, dope card, pencil & paper and you have what you need. You can estimate the look angle pretty well with some practice.

Invest in Ryan Cleckner's book. It gives you all you need and more to get reliable hits without breaking the bank.

I started with a couple of books (Plaster’s and a FM IIRC), Fed GMM 175’s, a cheep Loopy 3-9 Mil Dot, a Mil Dot Master, a notebook, pencil, backpack for a rest, and hooked my thumb in my shirt collar instead of a rear bag. I had some dope calcs generated off of the web (no chrono data). Fired 5 rounds and walked 300 - 750 yards and back to check the target.

First thing I would encourage beyond that - a spotter with a Mil Dot, learning to range (in the absence of a LRF) and reading wind are critical.

You can do a lot with a mildot master and a dope card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now days in spirit of keeping it lite - I carry on my belt a Kestrel / LFR / and Adaptive FDAC cards. While not as exact as tuned software, it should be a first round bingo in pretty much any condition.

Hey guys,
    Posting this here for myself and every other shooter striving to become the most complete long range marksmen they can be.

•What are the absolute essential skills to get long range hits with limited equipment?

•What's the math involved and how to use it as quickly and efficiently as possible?

It's always a pleasure to hear from you guys on your long range experience. Thanks for helping us all.

learning to control breathing
    learning to control heart rate
    learning to accurately judge wind (within 3-5mph) at you and up to about 1/2 your shooting distance

experience...shoot as often as you can in as many conditions as you can...write everything down- this includes YOU...diet, mental status, breathing, HR. Most people miss this key component in shooting...they'll take info down on wind, temp etc but nothing about themselves. If you have an off day you'll wan to know why...tracking YOU will help figure out the why.

do you reload? This can go a long way to finding a load that works for you...I'd spend more money here than on something such as a weather station.

Find a coach that can work with you one on one...

You can concern yourself with all the math you want...if the shooter skills aren't there the math doesn't matter.

Range card
    Proven rifle with ammo that matches range card
    FFP optic with mil based reticle
    Adjustable sling

That's all you need.

I too highly recommend Ryan Cleckner's book "Long Range Shooting Handbook". It is an excellent guide for beginner to intermediate shooters, offering great information, tips, and gear suggestions. For a beginner, I would recommend reading it before investing too much money in gear. Also, I am looking forward to getting his upcoming advanced level shooting guide.

Start with Cleckner's book. I have already handed out 4 of them to local friends. I think it's that important that they get to read his work.

Cleckner's book will guide the shooter toward the further steps involved in meeting their goals.

I am not among the MilDot Literate, and also consider an LRF to be a most basic and mandatory tool. Between the LRF, a solid zero, and a good Drop Table, I find my bases are covered enough to get close first round shots. Beyond that, I adjust.

I am a firm believer in walking before running. What some may consider basic equipment is the stuff I use long afterward. I think that LR is the great equalizer. Highly refined and customized equipment buys less and less as the distances increase, because the vagaries of the winds betray even the best shooter's edge that comes from such improvements. Judgement and experience are the main implements, the rest is just tools.

I use factory rifles, and suggest the Savage 11VT as the primary trainer. I have a pair of them (223 and 308), and use them for F T/R sorts of applications. I will be rounding out the selection with another 308, which will be rebarreled to .260 for F Open type applications. The rifles themselves have all the required features for LR shooting, and the .223 makes for an identically configured trainer to distances that I limit to 600yd, but which can probably reach a good bit further. I don't because the 308 is better suited for beyond 600.

The 223 will also serve as the best place to begin handloading. The 11VT 223 uses a 1:9" rifling twist, and works really well using handloads employing the Hornady 75gr HPBT-Match bullet, The 75gr A-Max (and probably the ELD-M) are most likely to be too long for proper stabilization in that twist.

My optic. After a decade going on two of experimenting with less expensive scopes, this one meets my own requirements as a beginner scope. I show both the Target and the MilDot versions. I don't do MilDots, so I use the other scope. These scopes prefer not to be gorilla clamped right up next to the turrets. I use these rings, moderately tightened, at least 1" away from the turrets.

The highly refined custom rifle is not going to be the best choice for the beginner, who needs to become well enough versed with the basic knowledge before the additionally sophisticated equipment can contribute its own specialized additional capabilities. Skills must come first, then the means to employ them to their fuller potential. One cannot count on the better gear to gloss over the gaps in the basic knowledge.

Good ammunition is a must. Where specialization is concerned, I would delve into handloading first. The 223 and 308 have a vast selection of good commercial ammunition choices. The .260 probably best serves the handloader.

Greg

Last edited:
    Minimal equipment and good for learning shooting fundamentals?
    Simple for me, a good 22 LR trainer with an aperture rear sight and a hooded post front. I traded an unfired CZ455 for a Remington 513 trainer and have a ton of fun with it. Still playing to find out what it likes for ammo before I stretch its legs but I am encouraged with the results thus far at 50 yards with just Federal Match Target bulk stuff. Occasional vertical flyers but that might be cause I'm resting the stock on a back pack and this gun is not free floating. It will group within 2 MOA, no problem.
    Most of the guys my age started out with a cheap hardware store 22 rifle. Mine was a Marlin 81DL and I shot the hell out of that gun. If it moved in the woods it was fair game although, once I remove the rose colored glasses, I missed more than I scored but what do you want from a 7 year old with his first gun.

Last edited: