• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Battle of Khe Sanh 50 years

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
1517081436634.png
Battle of Khe San

Many of you have probably seen this pic before. Supposedly it is during the battle of Khe Sanh that began 50 years ago as of January 21st, 1968

Reactions: Basher
Interesting that I am hearing some news reports referring to what the media did in reporting the signifigance of Tet as "Fake News".

That has been my belief regarding it. I hope some veterans are getting some satisfaction of this little mea culpa of sorts.

Ill give the commies props for putting everything in place without it being discovered exactly what was coming but tactically it accomplished nothing and eliminated what was known as the "VC".

Strategically it was significant only because the media participated either knowingly or unknowingly in the plan. Had they reported things like the executions in Hue, the depredations of the Viet Cong and the effectiveness in the US Troops stomping the enemy down perhaps things would have been different.

Instead we were presented with a South Vietnamese General eliminating an enemy murderer VC Colonel with no context of what the picture depicted.

Had that media been around to report the Battle of the Bulge Europe would be 80 or so years into the 1000 year Reich.

Reactions: Stevo86
The media was there to report the Battle of the Bulge, they just told it how it actually went down.

As noted, they knowingly or unknowingly, joined the fashion parade of bashing the military. Unfortunately, they did this at all points along the decision/actionable chain. That if something didn't work as planned, not only were the soldiers on the ground at fault, so were the military planners as well as the politicians who put them there.

The first American military officer killed in Viet Nam was 1946. Which would make our involvement Harry Truman's doing. It could have been stopped by Eisenhower, but instead was escalated. Same under Kennedy. Johnson really escalated the war and Nixon got us out. But, where does most of the blame lie?

The media does what's fashionable at the time. They've learned that spin always trump's truth. And some are definitely trying to destroy the freedoms that we have. They hide amongst the masses. And, work to rally the masses against the system we have.

Anyhow, good point. Tet and Khe Sanh should be two different topics I think though. Tet began 50 years ago day before yesterday.

I cut that picture out of Life magazine ...well 50 years ago. Still have it in the archive.
Regards,
Jim

That picture was taken by David Douglass Duncan. He was from Kansas City and a childhood friend of a mentor of mine. He had a huge collection of books David had published and inscribed to him as well and many unpublished photographs going back to the 20's or 30's. Duncan was often with the Marines in WW11, Korea and Vietnam.

DD Duncan is still alive at 102 if Wikepedia is up to date.

In WWII

David_D_Duncan_cropped.jpg

Hard Corps.

Reactions: sandwarrior