• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BC Question Related to kestrel 5700/AB

eugevita

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2020
Pretty sure this is a bit of a newbie question so perhaps one of the experts here can set me straight.

I was creating two new gun profiles on my Kestrel app to upload it to my Kestrel 5700 (standard version). I noticed that when I selected the bullets for each of my profiles the BC provided by the Kestrel bullet library differed from the one that was listed on the ammo box (I was using Hornady 140 and 147 ELDM factory 6.5CM ammo).

I was initially quite confused as to the difference between what BC the bullet library showed vice what was on the box. Am I correct to assume that this discrepancy is due to the fact that Kestrel used the BC assigned to a specific bullet by Applied Ballistics which should be more accurate than what is on the factory box?

Thank you!

If I remember correctly, hornady uses 300yds or something not too much further for box BC.

AB and Berger give them average BC out to 1500.

Regardless, it doesn’t matter. You have to true your data anyway.

Reactions: eugevita
As above the kestrel numbers are closer to reality than the advertised numbers if you’re shooting them at extended ranges.
I didn’t find the kestrel numbers were perfect though.
I’d try .309 on the 140 and .320 on the 147.
I think those are the BC’s that worked for me.
Should get you close.

Thank you gentlemen! Totally onboard with the importance of truing, just wanted to confirm that the numbers in the Kestrel are based on the more thorough analysis from AB...thanks again!

I've found through trial and test that the BC listed for the bullet on the Hornady web site ... is most accurate. 140-AG is .580 (G1) ... and 147-ELDM is .351 (G7). Use those, with a solidly chronographed Muzzle Velocity, and you'll be dead-on out to and through 1,000 yards. Shot a match over the weekend out to 1,300 yards with the 140's using that BC, and never had to adjust (Kestrel) elevation to consistently get good hits.

The BCs listed in the library for use with AB Embeded devices like a Kestrel are averaged BCs from our laboratory testing. BCs often listed on boxes are advertising BCs meant to sell a product. Not always, but often.

The BCs listed in the library for use with AB Embeded devices like a Kestrel are averaged BCs from our laboratory testing. BCs often listed on boxes are advertising BCs meant to sell a product. Not always, but often.

Thank you this was what I was thinking and your confirmation of my understanding is exactly what I was looking for!