• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCG & accuracy?

Hopar

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2023
SF Bay
How does a BCG effect on rifle performance that leads to accuracy?

With a quality bcg it really doesn’t have an effect on accuracy if it locks up correctly. If the bcg is machined poorly it will release to quickly starting its rearward travel early causing accuracy and reliability issues not to mention torn case rims.

Last edited:
Reactions: doubloon and Hopar
How does a BCG effect on rifle performance that leads to accuracy?
My understanding is that the bolt is the important part, more so than the carrier group. To get peak accuracy, the bolt and barrel need to be machined to get ideal head spacing. I will freely admit that I am not a good enough shot to eek out any performance this way vs just proper (in spec) head spacing.

Reactions: Hopar
Within reason, it won’t. As long as you buy an in spec BCG, and the bolt is fitted properly, it won’t have an impact on accuracy. Out of spec BCGs and bolts will of course, but unlike a high dollar barrel, a high dollar BCG won’t shoot any better.

I have a Stag BCG (lefty) in mine and it’s been flawless. With a white oak barrel, hand loads and a 2.5-10 scope, it’ll beat up a 600 yard IPSC as long as the wind is friendly. No need for a Noveske or NP3 coating, or anything like that.

OK. You guys put me at ease. My JPbolt and Krieger barrel were matched.

Thanks for the replies.

The bullet has exited the muzzle before the bolt carrier starts to move, let alone the bolt starts to unlock.

^^^ this
As others have mentioned, it’s more about functionality of the gun.
Improper headspace is probably the only thing that could affect accuracy really.

Reactions: rpoL98
The bullet has exited the muzzle before the bolt carrier starts to move, let alone the bolt starts to unlock.

Yes, which is why I stated it causes three things not one. Concerning accuracy, if the bolt doesn’t lock up properly then the headspace will be considerably off, which will affect accuracy.

I had a 308 AR that suddenly started grouping very poorly (4"-6" at 100 yards). I literally replaced every other part except the BCG one piece at a time because I didn't think it could possibly be the culprit. Then a friend handed me the BCG out of his LaRue at the range and the groups immediately shrunk back to sub MOA. I still don't know exactly what the exact issue was, but it was definitely something in the BCG.

I went down the service rifle rabbit hole on the cmp forums years ago reading about what those guys focus on with their rifles and ammo.

This was one of the better arguments I found for better carrier fit. I think it's more about leaving no stone unturned.

If I'm doing a no bullshit pure accuracy build, I'll usually opt for the Young National Match BCG that is slightly oversized and provides a tighter fit.
I can’t speak to YNM bcg but I have an AR10 EXO nickel boron coated coated and it seems slightly tight fitting in my Seekins SP10. Could be anything out of spec I suppose but anyway it gets dirty fast suppressed and can stick sometimes after <50 rds. I’m not sure if want a tight bcg.

I can’t speak to YNM bcg but I have an AR10 EXO nickel boron coated coated and it seems slightly tight fitting in my Seekins SP10. Could be anything out of spec I suppose but anyway it gets dirty fast suppressed and can stick sometimes after <50 rds. I’m not sure if want a tight bcg.

Can't say I've ever experienced that, especially with a large frame. As far as I know there isn't a large frame BCG that is specifically oversized on purpose.

I've ran numerous BCG's in my SP10's..JP (Full and Lomas), Lantac and now a RCA Titanium and they all have performed 100% reliably.

Reactions: db2000
Can't say I've ever experienced that, especially with a large frame. As far as I know there isn't a large frame BCG that is specifically oversized on purpose.

I've ran numerous BCG's in my SP10's..JP (Full and Lomas), Lantac and now a RCA Titanium and they all have performed 100% reliably.
I’ve got a Seekins OTW. The current one is the same way in all my various uppers so doubt it Seekins uppers out of spec. May just this particular carrier 🤷‍♂️

I went down the service rifle rabbit hole on the cmp forums years ago reading about what those guys focus on with their rifles and ammo.

This was one of the better arguments I found for better carrier fit. I think it's more about leaving no stone unturned.

I've never watched any videos from this gentleman but have went down the BCG tilt rabbit hole before and as he mentions above proper fitment is paramount. I will say that there are better options than drilling and tapping the rear of the BCG available, now it's not as cheap but in my opinion and better option.

If carrier Tilt is a concern I recommend buying the JP variable Mass BCG.
Screenshot_20230904_083226_Chrome.jpg

The weights at the rear of the Carrier are easily removable and you can have your local Gun Smith measure the exact amount needed to bring the rear of the carrier up and in line with the center of the bore by turning some custom weights in aluminum or steel also providing more options for tuning the operating mass.

Reactions: Hopar and 912173
Headspace is indeed key - But not quite everything, it seems.

Well made, quality parts always give better results. The good news is AR' parts are across the board so much better now than 20 years ago.

A subtly larger bolt carrier outside diameter or a subtly tighter upper receiver inside diameter tends to produce better precision results, so long as there's still enough room for the bolt carrier to cycle smoothly. More frequent cleaning is required any time tolerances are reduced, of course. This is especially evident when shooting suppressed, which of course is the only way civilized people should shoot.:ROFLMAO:

I wish we could still get Young N/M bolt carriers. Whoever bought Young Manufacturing no longer offers them. (Glad I have a small stash left.)

In their absence, I've found that JP bolt carriers are an excellent substitute in small block guns. They tend to run toward the chubby end of the tolerance scale, and provide a more snug fit in any upper.

In big block guns, JP is all I use. When results are so good, I quit experimenting.

Headspace is indeed key - But not quite everything, it seems.

Well made, quality parts always give better results. The good news is AR' parts are across the board so much better now than 20 years ago.

A subtly larger bolt carrier outside diameter or a subtly tighter upper receiver inside diameter tends to produce better precision results, so long as there's still enough room for the bolt carrier to cycle smoothly. More frequent cleaning is required any time tolerances are reduced, of course. This is especially evident when shooting suppressed, which of course is the only way civilized people should shoot.:ROFLMAO:

I wish we could still get Young N/M bolt carriers. Whoever bought Young Manufacturing no longer offers them. (Glad I have a small stash left.)

In their absence, I've found that JP bolt carriers are an excellent substitute in small block guns. They tend to run toward the chubby end of the tolerance scale, and provide a more snug fit in any upper.

In big block guns, JP is all I use. When results are so good, I quit experimenting.

I've actually switched to the Chrome HMB Bolts with JP Carriers, pretty impressed.

Reactions: Hopar and MSTN
Joe Carlos? I've read a lot (most) of his articles available online. He advocates for either the Young Manufacturing NM BC or JP BC due to them being more snug. Can't say how much of a difference it makes but using one or the other in all of my AR's was expensive. I would like to have about 4-7 more of the YM NM carriers.

I wasn't aware they aren't made anymore. I just thought they were made in batches whenever they felt like making them. Well, no matter as the JP is another high quality fat carrier.

Reactions: Hopar

thank you

still amazed how utterly dumb some people are. It's like no one has common sense, basic math skills, and rudimentary understanding of how the is weapon platform works. amazed!!!!!!!

….

KE Arms. I can’t stand them, and the fact they killed the Young NM BCG just reinforces that.

thank you

still amazed how utterly dumb some people are. It's like no one has common sense, basic math skills, and rudimentary understanding of how the is weapon platform works. amazed!!!!!!!
I am sure one day you were in that "dumb" state as well. You asked questions and learned.
There were people around that were amazed at you as well.

Reactions: PappyM3
Ahh, thanks. I didn’t realize they still maintained the Young Mfg website.
Both Sites are open, and KE Site recently had a Message regarding their Shipping being delayed, due to being at a Match, stating that they would be back in the Shop the following week. Neither Phone Number works, calling will ring three times, then disconnect. Emails go unanswered. I was looking for a YM Fluted and Vented Aluminum Float Handguard, Barrel Nut, and Lock Ring, like the one I used to build a 6.5 CM on a DPMS Panther Upper and Lower. I wanted to build a 22-250 Upper for Varminting, and use the same Float Tube, but it appears those are no longer made, and I'm unwilling to spend 400 bucks for a Carbon Fiber Tube that KE is selling. I've built the Upper, and am using another Manufacturers Handguard now.

Has anyone had comms with either Young Manufacturing or KE, or been able to get a response via Call or Email? Are both completely out of Business now?