• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCG fires out of battery?

Belisarius

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2007
ar15 in .223, aim surplus $120 bcg, have had it for 3 years.
First, out of nowhere I got a slam fire. No firing pin indentation on the primer. Same load ever since I got the ar.
Next thing, I got a case head separation, out of nowhere! And again! The trigger slap killed my finger. Blew out a mag release and a magazine, upper and lower intact.
Because I had that feeling, I swapped the bcg with my .300blk, and yes, no issues at all.
Well, then I fired the .300blk, my trigger finger is dead. I haven't been slapped like that since last week when my wife asked me about her weight.
Anyways, for 3 years everything is perfect and then a sudden change.
Any thoughts?
Thank you!!!

Maybe headspace issue? Or throat erosion?

Make sure there is nothing "binding" the FP and FP channel in the suspect bolt.

Also double check the various parts, FP retaining pin, cam pin, FP etc for wear or possible cracks.

And it is possible your brass is wore out or brittle from constant resizing.

Same lower? Firing out of battery and extreme trigger slap? How many rounds fired with that lower? Maybe the problem is in the FCG.

OFG

Deep clean the bolt carrier; as in carbon scraper and ultrasonic cleaning?
Scrape the carbon off the back of the bolt?
Inspect closely for excessive wear on the carrier?
It does seem like the common part to trouble is the BCG.

Reactions: nickweis
start over :p

Reactions: Belisarius
trigger slap is a hard trigger reset that hits back your trigger finger
I'm guessing the primer cup is too soft and the bolt face hitting it is enough
It happened only after I started using remington 7.5 bench rest primers

I'm still not getting it. Doesn't a primer need a good indent to ignite?
Not at all, all that has to happen is for the hammer to hit the anvil. With full protective gear on place a primer onto a hard surface an hit it with a hammer. The yellow cake that's in the primer is shock sensitive, you can remove the cake an hit it with a hammer an it will go off as well w/o being in the primer, same as striking the old style strike any where match. In fact 57 old style match heads in a 7.62X51 case would push a 147 gr FMJBT to 2000FPS out of a M14,...BTDT

start over :p

i got two of these yesterday. what a good price. $31 off a piece, so thats why i bought two.... the shelf life on these is incredible.

Reactions: db2000