• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCG recommendation

Keyword phrase for the article about about 9310............"when appropriately treated".

Which, due the highly commercialized use & HT'd by every Tom, Dick & Harry with a furnace, means it's not a universally consistent & as rigidly controlled as C-158.

When it's good, it's good. When it's not it's not.....................so the odds of getting good product is expotentially increased by only buying from a tried & true source with a good rep in the parts industry. Who maybe does some actual QC testing.

I deal with materials & coatings daily.

MM

Last edited:
Keyword phrase for the article about about 9310............"when appropriately treated".

Which, due the highly commercialized use & HT'd by every Tom, Dick & Harry with a furnace, means it's not a universally consistent & as rigidly controlled as C-158.

When it's good, it's good. When it's not it's not.....................so the odds of getting good product is expotentially increased by only buying from a tried & true source with a good rep in the parts industry. Who maybe does some actual QC testing.

I deal with materials & coatings daily.

MM
+1 on this.

Given the small surfaces (lugs) of the bolt, heat treatment is a delicate dance between making things too brittle or leaving them too malleable.

I may be speaking out of my ass here, but the last time I went down this rabbit hole I remember reading something about C-158 being a little easier to work with as far as heat treating goes, and that 9130 was a fine material but doesn't offer as much leeway so you have to be even more judicious with temperature control.

FWIW... 🤷‍♂️

The next step up the ladder is LMT & KAC's Armet 100, but that obviously makes the bolt 3-4x more expensive.

The HM Defense design with a blind hole for the cam pin also increases the strength of the bolt significantly as well, not by material change but by design.

HPT, IMO, is also not a good thing on a bolt either as it deliberately overstresses the bolt before it ever gets into service......................... other means of material lot control is a better route to take.

But in the end, if the bolt/extension is correctly HS'd & the bolt generally lasts the lifetime of a barrel, then it would also be prudent to put a new bolt in with the barrel change.

Lots of different views on bolts, I guess. Buying from a known & time proven source, no matter the material or the design, is the best insurance in getting reliable performance for the everyday consumer.

YMMV

MM

Last edited:
Reactions: jg6.5
here you go boys, get em while you can

The company I work for does heat treating. You need to be sure the part reaches the proper temperature, you have the right atmosphere, and you quench the part fast enough. Bolts are relatively small parts, if you can't treat them right you're pushing them through too fast or something is out of spec.

The company I work for does heat treating. You need to be sure the part reaches the proper temperature, you have the right atmosphere, and you quench the part fast enough. Bolts are relatively small parts, if you can't treat them right you're pushing them through too fast or something is out of spec.
very true, it's was an early problem with nitriding process leading to premature broken bolts.

The future will be in the cryo hit and bolt lug cut which apparently increases carp158 3x in strength. Lots of cool things happening in this space.