• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCG stuck in the forward position after dry fire on PWSmk216

Nailz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
Maple Valley, WA
I have a PWSmk216 and am having an issue with the BCG sticking forward after pulling the trigger during dry fire. I'm unable to pull back the charging handle in any way. The only way to release it is to slam the stock down, it will then allow me to pull the charging handle back. I can also simulate this by removing the upper and tapping on the firing pin, it will stick in the exact same way.

At this point everything has been cleaned, I have swapped out firing pins and it still does the same thing. At the range this afternoon, I was able to successfully fire 20+ rounds with no ejection issues whatsoever, but testing the final round, the bcg would only lock back about 50% of the time....

Hoping some of you may have ideas? I have done some searching already and haven't been successful finding anything to this point.

Thanks as always for the help.

Is it possible there is a burr where the bolt and barrel extension engage and dropping the hammer actually puts the bolt into full battery? Is it a new rifle/ barrel, bolt? Or has iit all been working and this just started?

It's a good question and I can't tell whether there is a burr or not to be honest... I have had the rifle since it was new, and had to send it back after about 200 rounds for problems with failures to eject. I got it back and put another 100-150 rounds through it and the tip of the firing pin broke off. I sent in the pin and they replaced it and this issue has now started to occur.

I guess I'm not understanding how the bolt can lock without a round on a trigger press but with a round in it gets pushed back, or without a round and no trigger press I can work the bolt back and forward with no issues at all. Shouldn't it get stuck at any time?

Sounds like the firing pin is sticking forward. The Bolt/cam pin is the issue. First failure to eject,then broke firing pin,now this. The cam pin is locking up on the firing pin after the hammer hits it.Bolt and or cam pin are screwed up. Swap out both and retest.If you replace bolt check Headspace before firing. The recoil when live firing is why it unlocks . Not locking back is do to the sticking using up energy and short stroking.

Reactions: Dank27
I'm with FNARSHOOTER.

Some steps for analysis:

o Can you hear the FP "rattle" when shaking the BCG? Can you easily move the FP in the BCG? These checks should be done with the bolt in the extended and "in battery" position.

o When holding the BCG vertically with the bolt down, can you see the FP extend into bolt face when moving the bolt in/out of battery?

o Does the FP slip smoothly through the cam?

o Does the FP slip smoothly through the bolt?

o Does the FP slip smoothly through the bolt with cam in position, while not in BC?

I am inclined to suspect FP bore alignment since you stated the bolt operates freely, except when dry firing. This leads me to think the FP is being driven into the assembly, binding the carrier group.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome.

Sounds like the bolt if you replace the bolt check headspace before firing.

Answers below.....

I'm with FNARSHOOTER.

Some steps for analysis:

o Can you hear the FP "rattle" when shaking the BCG? Can you easily move the FP in the BCG? These checks should be done with the bolt in the extended and "in battery" position.

No, once it gets into the bolt and goes through, it sticks

o When holding the BCG vertically with the bolt down, can you see the FP extend into bolt face when moving the bolt in/out of battery?

Yes

o Does the FP slip smoothly through the cam?

Yes

o Does the FP slip smoothly through the bolt?

smooth until the tip goes through, then it sticks in place

o Does the FP slip smoothly through the bolt with cam in position, while not in BC?

same as within the bolt, sticks at the tip....

I am inclined to suspect FP bore alignment since you stated the bolt operates freely, except when dry firing. This leads me to think the FP is being driven into the assembly, binding the carrier group.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome.

I swapped pins and cams, as these were the only extra parts I have, with the same results. With what I have provided above, does it still sound like it needs a new bolt?

Thanks again for the help.

Nailz, good elimination, and it appears to be the bolt. When you replace the bolt, ensure headspace is checked as FNARSHOOTER stated in his last post. Most likely, it will be within spec, but you cannot be too cautious. I have seen disastrous results, and it's not a pretty sight - for the AR or the trigger-puller.

So I finally relented and sent this back to PWS for warranty work, just got word from them that they replaced the bolt and it was headed off to QC. Good call guys on the bolt being the issue.

I will say that as many issues as I seem to have had with this rifle, PWS and their customer service has been very good. Looking forward to getting it back...

I had something happen like this before. Short of the story, the BCG was a different manufacturer that was out of spec wit the upper. I'd have to take the butstock off to get the bolt out. Once retailer provided the right BCG, all was well. Strange deal and I was ultra careful checking it over before firing.

I have a PWSmk216 and am having an issue with the BCG sticking forward after pulling the trigger during dry fire. I'm unable to pull back the charging handle in any way. The only way to release it is to slam the stock down, it will then allow me to pull the charging handle back. I can also simulate this by removing the upper and tapping on the firing pin, it will stick in the exact same way.

At this point everything has been cleaned, I have swapped out firing pins and it still does the same thing. At the range this afternoon, I was able to successfully fire 20+ rounds with no ejection issues whatsoever, but testing the final round, the bcg would only lock back about 50% of the time....

Hoping some of you may have ideas? I have done some searching already and haven't been successful finding anything to this point.

Thanks as always for the help.
It's your firing pin. Swap out for another

• Love
Reactions: clcustom1911
My favorite..."If you wanted to make a silenced rifle, to shoot things you aren't supposed to, in a state where suppressors are illegal, how would you do that?"