• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCM less expensive than Daniel Defense

God help us.

If they get a win with DD then the floodgates will open and all gun makers are in their sights.

Litigious fukks will be the final nail in the coffin.....

FJB, his cabinet and the horses they rode in on. Bastards.
They're probably trying to do what they did to Remington. Strategy looks the same: target the advertising and settle out of court...

Reactions: DubfromGA
I'm not really convinced they're anti 2A, though I understand why some folks see it this way.

Other companies that have "outed" themselves as anti 2A tend to make excuses and hem and haw trying to justify their actions (donations, political speech, etc.... BRCC, Vortex, Springfield, etc...). Best I can tell, DD financially supports pro 2A candidates.
I hear you but important to stand together and supporting uni background checks is anti 2a. FCD recently admitted to signing contracts with the ATF so they are done to me as well

I hear you but important to stand together and supporting uni background checks is anti 2a. FCD recently admitted to signing contracts with the ATF so they are done to me as well
The standard I'm using is that DD is on permanent probation. One more "mistake" and they're done. By FCD you mean Forward Controls Design?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
The standard I'm using is that DD is on permanent probation. One more "mistake" and they're done. By FCD you mean Forward Controls Design?
gotcha, that's a good approach and yes on FCD. Apparently the owner was flippant to people on fb or reddit forum about it and just got hammered. Basically said fk u to the gun owner concerns. Hey, his business but dead to me

Colt doesn't have hammer forged barrels and Noveske barrels are sourced from FN. KAC could be called LMT light given how much they get from them.
I thought that Colt Canada did make hammer forged, it's why I included them.

Reactions: Jsp556
I thought that Colt Canada did make hammer forged, it's why I included them.
I can double check that but regardless, none of those barrels are sold here so it's a moot point. I personally don't need a chf barrel as the button cut do just great and it's a disposable part. I have seen the studies etc but I've only noticed marginal barrel life improvement. This year I haven't shot as much but I routinely go through 2ish barrels a yr shooting them out. That reminds me, I am running way to low on colt socom replacement barrels!

Reactions: ut755ln
I can double check that but regardless, none of those barrels are sold here so it's a moot point. I personally don't need a chf barrel as the button cut do just great and it's a disposable part. I have seen the studies etc but I've only noticed marginal barrel life improvement. This year I haven't shot as much but I routinely go through 2ish barrels a yr shooting them out. That reminds me, I am running way to low on colt socom replacement barrels!
LWRC has CHF barrels and have been known to buy barrels from Canada. I don't know if that is what they are using currently.

LWRC has CHF barrels and have been known to buy barrels from Canada. I don't know if that is what they are using currently.
I believe lwrc is doing their own. I posted earlier they were one of the ones but not sure about getting barrels from Canada. I know they went from Lothar to someone else to rolling their own. I'm a fan of ldub

I know FN, Colt and DD do. I know that KAC receives some of their barrels from Noveske, I don't think that they make barrels.

I think that was for 300 blackout back when not sure about present day...Krieger made their LPR barrels at one point also..
aside from that I thought they made their own

KAC could be called LMT light given how much they get from them.

They used to get their sopmod stocks from LMT & a small lower part or two but I dont think anything else.

Kac has a giant manufacturing facility...they have to be making something there lol. People arent giving them enough credit... They do in fact make most of their own shit from what I can tell.

Also to reapond to another post, im almost positive Kac barrels are indeed hammer forged and chrome lined.

Kac is top of the line, overpriced perhaps but that doesnt change the fact that theyre one of the best.
Machine guns, suppressors, night vision, accessories innovation and cutting edge - They are far from some BCM operation like some are making them out to be.

Last edited:
They used to get their sopmod stocks from LMT & a small lower part or two but I dont think anything else.

Kac has a giant manufacturing facility...they have to be making something there lol. People arent giving them enough credit... They do in fact make most of their own shit from what I can tell.

Also to reapond to another post, im almost positive Kac barrels are indeed hammer forged and chrome lined.

Kac is top of the line, overpriced perhaps but that doesnt change the fact that theyre one of the best.
Machine guns, suppressors, night vision, accessories innovation and cutting edge - They are far from some BCM operation like some are making them out to be.
Nope, you need to talk to them. Lmt has a full group devoted soley to kac fulfillment.

I've always considered BCM and Daniel Defense to be very close peers in terms of value, and another member's posted question about DD ARs caused me to do some research.

It appears that BCM is a better value on average by about $100-300 when comparing very similarly equipped BCM and DD models. I based this on website MSRP and GB "buy it now" pricing.

What do you think about my pricing observation- what do your local street prices indicate?
I have owned and still own several BCM rifles. Currently have a 16” BFH and 11.5” pistol. Sold a carbine 16” a long time ago.

I build all my other AR’s using BCM parts. The only parts not BCM are the barrels in some of my other builds.

I have had zero issues with either of them. I have had the 16” BFH since 2014. Have put multiple thousands of rounds down range with it. The 11.5” is only 4-5 years old. Forgot when I got it. Have less rounds through it, but still no issues.

DD is a great rifle also. Have shot some of those. Want to buy an MK18, but they’re so expensive.

I am partial to BCM though. Don’t feel the need to pay extra for something I know probably won’t perform any better than my BCM’s.

Reactions: Alarka and Naaman
Like Colt?

Who makes almost none of the parts that go in their rifles. Yet fanbois swear they are the top tier.
Learn something new every damn day! I honestly did not know this. My duty rifle is a Colt M4. I’d be interested to know who makes their hardware.

I will say that my rifle has seen a bazillion rounds, not even minimizing even a little bit! Hahaha!! Okay, maybe just a tiny bit.

Regardless, that thing is an absolute hammer. Even with a boatload of ammo through it, heating the barrel up to where it has changed some color and lightened up, on more than five occasions, it is still very accurate.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Learn something new every damn day! I honestly did not know this. My duty rifle is a Colt M4. I’d be interested to know who makes their hardware.

I will say that my rifle has seen a bazillion rounds, not even minimizing even a little bit! Hahaha!! Okay, maybe just a tiny bit.

Regardless, that thing is an absolute hammer. Even with a boatload of ammo through it, heating the barrel up to where it has changed some color and lightened up, on more than five occasions, it is still very accurate.
Colt post 2017-18 is certainly a different animal but they still go through Colt QC and by all accounts, still function as intended. My Colts are older, accurate and reliable and nothing but great things to say about them. Colt elicits a love hate response for some which I find odd. No AR has more rounds downrange in adverse conditions on a global scale with the reliability and track record for success and yet, people are still fixing their panties cause Colt took so long to get a midlength ha

Reactions: FALex

And even when Colt was were making more of the parts, they still contracted out magazine production and yet again there are those who only want "Colt" mags as they swear they are the best. Despite the only difference being the rollmark on the base plate.

Reactions: shoobe01 and FALex
Marvin pitts says differently not sure if it’s recent or what but he is one of their main machinist.
Talking about AR barrels only here. Doesn't really matter to me I don't use WC barrels. Many brands that say they make their own use OEM barrel producers. I believe Ruger asked Shaw if they could produce 500 barrels a day for them a few years ago, Shaw could have but it would have put delays on all of the other companies they make barrels for so they declined. Shaw can make a damn good OEM barrel if they get good specs from the company sending the PO. The last 2 barrels I got from DD had bad crowns and were shooting 4-6" groups. Green Mountain had the roughest chambers I have ever seen and had to be refinished. Wilson Arms can't cut a good crown to save their life and the list goes on.

Add Geissele to the list of barrel manufacturers that produce CHF chrome lined, they now have two machines up and running.

Reactions: Milf Dots
This thread has done a nice job muddying the waters for me. I’m looking to get into an AR, haven’t had one in a decade, and want to buy not build since I don’t know shit. The BCM Recce 14 is basically what I want, but the accuracy comments have me concerned. There’s a DD M4A1 Mil Spec in stock local to me for $2300, or I could order the BCM for $1500 plus whatever shipping and transfer fee. Big price difference, but maybe it’s a big difference in features and accuracy as well.

The other option I’ve considered is buying a Super Duty 14.5 next time they go on sale, but there’s a lot of horror stories about Geissele QC and shafting people who purchased during sales.

Sorry for the absolute hijack, I came to this thread hoping to find an answer, but I’m even more unsure now.

Reactions: Constructor
That DD at $2300 is msrp or higher, no reason to pay that.

I don't see anything on that bcm that commands $1500. However, if you want a factory build, may have to pay.

The g rifles seem to be hit or miss on accuracy, I'd have to get a hell of deal on one to proceed.

This thread has done a nice job muddying the waters for me. I’m looking to get into an AR, haven’t had one in a decade, and want to buy not build since I don’t know shit. The BCM Recce 14 is basically what I want, but the accuracy comments have me concerned. There’s a DD M4A1 Mil Spec in stock local to me for $2300, or I could order the BCM for $1500 plus whatever shipping and transfer fee. Big price difference, but maybe it’s a big difference in features and accuracy as well.

The other option I’ve considered is buying a Super Duty 14.5 next time they go on sale, but there’s a lot of horror stories about Geissele QC and shafting people who purchased during sales.

Sorry for the absolute hijack, I came to this thread hoping to find an answer, but I’m even more unsure now.
Buy the BCM and be happy, if you wear out the barrel replace it with a different make. Or buy an LWRCi- they're full ambi and one of the best values in Di ARs.

If it were me I'd also be looking at LWRCi, Geissele, Barrett.

Reactions: HaydenLane

If I had to buy one I don't know what I would buy either, maybe a BCM and change the barrel. You would still come out cheaper than buying a DD LWRC, LMT or Knight. I like Geissele triggers but I've seen more than a few reports about bad accuracy with Geissele rifles too. I'm waiting for Blackstone Arms to get his ARP 14.5" 5R Melonite treated barrels in, they are more accurate than most and 60-90fps faster than BCMs, DDs or Wilson that I checked them against, that makes them faster than the 16" barrels from those companies.

Last edited:
That DD at $2300 is msrp or higher, no reason to pay that.

I don't see anything on that bcm that commands $1500. However, if you want a factory build, may have to pay.

The g rifles seem to be hit or miss on accuracy, I'd have to get a hell of deal on one to proceed.
It’s at a Scheels, so they’d price match, but every other one I’ve seen in stock is listed above MSRP lol.
Buy the BCM and be happy, if you wear out the barrel replace it with a different make. Or buy an LWRCi- they're full ambi and one of the best values in Di ARs.

If it were me I'd also be looking at LWRCi, Geissele, Barrett.
I was looking at a couple LWRCi’s, my biggest hang up was the 16.1” barrel. I know it’s not a huge difference, but I plan to run suppressed so 14.5” would help keep it manageable.
If I had to buy one I don't know what I would buy either, maybe a BCM and change the barrel. You would still come out cheaper than buying a DD LWRC, LMT or Knight. I like Geissele triggers but I've seen more than a few reports about bad accuracy with them too.
It looks like I should wait for a sale lol. Tough call, I’m impatient. There’s a shop near me that deals in mostly high-end ARs, but most of it is out of my price range and always at MSRP. I’m trying to budget for another can and either a Razor or Vudu 1-10, so saving $600+ would go a long way.

BCM rifles are good rifles. I have read (mostly on this forum, not on AR-specific forums) that BCM accuracy is sub standard. That being said, the ELW that I have trigger time on shoots very tight.

$2300 for the "Mil Spec +" DD is basically because you'd be paying for the RIS II rail and a paint job (the paint job adds $200).

If you don't mind mismatched receivers, you can get a complete BCM lower for around $400, and then when money allows, slap whatever upper you'd like on it.

Also, you have DM.

Neither, lmt

Again. DD came out against your rights so supporting them is dumb. BCM bills itself colt like, just buy a colt trooper which is outstanding.

Lmt at big tex for 2400. Done

That many years ago I wasn't paying much attention, but for that price at that time, the only company I can think of would be Wilson Combat (assuming we are talking about AR barrels).

Besides FN, Ruger, DD, Geissele and I think Remington have their own hammer forges. I think I read somewhere that KAC does, too.
Wilson Combats barrels use to be made by ER Shaw, Bill himself posted that on a forum years ago. They have a different maker now or could be making them in house but they are all stainless, not CHF. When Shaw made them they had good 11 degree crowns, now they have gone back to a 45 degree chamfer which is tougher to get right, as in perfectly cut. Reports I see say the old Shaw barrels were more accurate.

Wilson Combats barrels use to be made by ER Shaw, Bill himself posted that on a forum years ago. They have a different maker now or could be making them in house but they are all stainless, not CHF. When Shaw made them they had good 11 degree crowns, now they have gone back to a 45 degree chamfer which is tougher to get right, as in perfectly cut. Reports I see say the old Shaw barrels were more accurate.
I was just talking about ARs that cost $2400 at that time. Maybe Noveske? But I had never heard of them back then.