• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes BDC turrets....Like 'em, or hate 'em?

Fatelvis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2003
Mokena, IL
I use both, standard stock .25 MOA turrets....and.... Kenton custom turrets, made to my load's specs. I routinely shoot out to 600 yds. I found myself using and liking the Kenton equipped rifles much more due to the simplicity, speed, and confidence I've built up in them the last several years. I understand that there is no flexibility when using BDC knobs, but I always use the same loads (one load for each rifle), and rarely, almost never travel with them to effect elevational differences. Here in the midwest we have huge temp swings, so I have my knobs set to 50 degrees (about middle of temp swings), and honestly, any change of POI has been negligible. Often I read on the Hide, and feel that many of you are much more scrutinizing of your accuracy, and maybe I'm just lazy and "settling" for acceptable accuracy. Is this the case, or are the surprises out past 600 yds that would reveal problems with my beloved knobs? Lol (That sounds bad). Thanks -

Sounds like they work for your intended use. I think they are not worth the money for my needs.

There is such a thing as a custom turret, in that someone made it according to some drop table somewhere. But there's no such thing as a custom turret that works.

That said, DOPE inside of 600 doesn't change that much so there's no need to bother with custom turrets anyway.

Whatever argument can be made for them...It's the very same argument as to why they don't work and why you don't need them, because they assume a misunderstanding of the craft.

Last edited:
BDC turrets are only as good as your dope card. They are convenient for shooting the same load in similar conditions, just saves one step of reading the card. I just cant drop $100 for a turret cap, the Leupold ones are free with the scope, other than that, white electrical tape and a sharpie.

The one exception is the G7 system by Gunwerks. Their NF scopes are set up with a BDC turret cap for the the rifle in a given environmental condition. Used in conjunction with the G7 rangefinder, the LRF will spit out corrections for that turret cap. It does not come cheap though, so again. Tape/marker.

Last edited:
I am not aware of the G7 system. I use NF scopes, so this does interest me! Does it come as a rangefinder/scope combo? How much$?

I like them for the simplicity and speed they provide when firing at more challenging unspecified distances. For my scopes without them and boringly firing from the defined 600yd line, 500yd line, 400yd line...I just use High-power established MOA come ups converted to scopes 1/8 or 1/4 adjustments and SWAG it

I have at least one scope with both mil clicks and BDC markings for a 175SMK. While I don't use the BDC scale to set the turret, it's a nice check on whether I have made a huge error in dialing in with the mil scale.

That said, DOPE inside of 600 doesn't change that much so there's no need to bother with custom turrets anyway.
I agree with all of your points, but some shooters may want to Poke Yoke their system. I don't think they are well suited for precision rifle use, but they aren't too bad for most hunting purposes (and if you have a bunch of hunting rifles it saves you from having to remember your dope). It's a lazy man's way, but it's convenient for those that find value in them. They are not something I use.

I use a strip of white pin stripping tape on factory turrets. When I get to a specific location I mark on there the ballistic table for that location and conditions. For night shooting I have glow in the dark tape, and use it the same way. Cheap and flexible.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

They have their uses but I don't have one for them on a long range precision rifle.

don't like them.... dope can differ so much especially when you reload and the amount of powder used or the bullet used can make such a huge difference with the POI

Theyre like BDC reticles, useless for me. If they work for you thats all that matters. I shoot all different kinds of loads out of my rifles so a BDC turret would be really useless for me.