Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2017

camocorvette

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 1, 2010
Graham, WA
Everyone is walking around in condition white.
The one with 230 felonies should have been hung or shot long ago.
Hopefully they all get a rope or a bullet this time. (I'm sure they won't, that wouldnt be nice and might hurt their feelings. And we cant do that...)

Reactions: Blue Sky Country

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
Situational awareness is paramount these days. A few things have happened around here at some local public an private ranges both, that have instilled some to not play nice anymore.
After that thing some years back, some of us tend to prefer to go to the range in groups of well trusted friends, and if anybody else but us is on the range, have someone standing back and watching things. Also having our loaded CC pistols on us regardless of being prone or not.

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Belligerents
Jan 25, 2010
the Westside
Signals were there if someone would read them

When I moved to Utah and told people I go out in the middle of nowhere BLM land, the first thing everyone thought was holy shit, theres all sorts of crazy stuff that goes on out there and that I'd be dead lol. While Utah is relatively quiet, an episode of 'Breaking Bad' is happening in the vast areas of BLM land that people generally don't go to.

The good news is I'm aways aware of whats going on around me, especially when I'm alone or with just 1 friend out in the middle of the night. Didn't take me long to run into a few old shacks hidden away against cliff walls and bushes that were 100% used at some point to cook meth or whatever as well as random people walking around in literally the middle of nowhere at night; it was funny because I have nightvision and they'd walk past me 25-50 yards away while I'd watched them. They had no clue some guy with a Mk12, PEQ15, suppressor and a bunch of mags is sitting there staring at them.

Always be aware of who is around you, especially if they take an interest in you being there.

rth1800

Two Star General
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2009
German,
What type activities are these folks up to out there at night?

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2017
When I moved to Utah and told people I go out in the middle of nowhere BLM land, the first thing everyone thought was holy shit, theres all sorts of crazy stuff that goes on out there and that I'd be dead lol. While Utah is relatively quiet, an episode of 'Breaking Bad' is happening in the vast areas of BLM land that people generally don't go to.

The good news is I'm aways aware of whats going on around me, especially when I'm alone or with just 1 friend out in the middle of the night. Didn't take me long to run into a few old shacks hidden away against cliff walls and bushes that were 100% used at some point to cook meth or whatever as well as random people walking around in literally the middle of nowhere at night; it was funny because I have nightvision and they'd walk past me 25-50 yards away while I'd watched them. They had no clue some guy with a Mk12, PEQ15, suppressor and a bunch of mags is sitting there staring at them.

Always be aware of who is around you, especially if they take an interest in you being there.
This is why I never go to the outdoors unarmed.

When my daughter was maybe 5 or 6 I took her tent camping to one of the local state parks/state wildlife area. I invited her bestie and her dad to come along for the weekend. We set up in a campsite kinda away from everyone and had a good old time. As night fell and we went to bed I made sure my pistol (which the other dad didn't know about) was inside the sleeping bag. Sure enough about an hour and a half after sunset I hear a redneck truck and see headlights through the tent fabric. They keep getting closer till they're right outside the tent. The other dad was kinda freaked out (he's a nice guy but your average middle class guy who's kind of a wuss) when I get up. Unzip and walk out pistol at low ready, look right at the driver and just stand there. They got the fuck out of there and I got no sleep that night but the girls were safe.

I think the other guy with us told his wife that I had a gun because she's a flaming libtard and they kinda ghosted us after that weekend. I don't give a fuck. I will protect mine regardless of the cost.

Kir

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2019
Sparks, NV
Paranoia anyone?
...and they're coming to take you away, ha ha, ho ho, hee hee; to the funny farm you see...
BE ALERT, YOU WON'T GET HURT!

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Belligerents
Jan 25, 2010
the Westside
German,
I 15 is the only corridor from SLC to Vegas and further to southern California. Most of the land in the Utah area near it is wide open BLM land with some areas fairly hard to get to/terrain locked. There is zero patrolling of anything, and except the first mile or two at the front where 95% of people go to shoot, hang out, bike, etc, not many are further in. It's honestly the wild west.

It's common knowledge that there are people cooking meth/drugs/whatever out there and using the the land to bypass the highway for transportation of whatever they don't want to get pulled over for. Like I said above, I've come across sheds that were built in between fingers of cliffs and covered with bushes to hide them; this is MILES away from anything.

I've also seen small groups of 3-4 mexicans wearing jeans and tshirts/flannels with rucksacks moving around there at night, while its 95+ degrees out with no equipment, lights, etc. I'm assuming from the cache of daisey chained 1 gallon water jugs stashed in a dugout in the middle of the desert I've come across out there, illegals also use the land.

The wild card out there are the people who take advantage of being allowed to 'live' on BLM land for I think 3 weeks at a time, but set up shop out there for 6+ months. Usually the BLM/wildlife/whoever people come around towards August and you'll see the notices to vacate stuck on all of their trailers/RVs, but at that point they've been out there since March. Most are there just to live the 'RV life' and basically live for free, but theres a lot that goes on out there at night by people who don't want to be found and/or are using this as a mobile base.

If I go hunting at night, for the reasons above, I have way more on me than just the single mag people take hunting. Besides having a giant advantage with having nightvision, I have either a Mk12 or a carbine with PEQ15 and suppressor, my hunting rounds, hydration, IFAK, comms and then 3-4 mags of M193/262 on a chest rig along the entire time.

I also take precautions that we did when patrolling overseas like not returning to the vehicle the same route you left, and having a short halt a few 100 yards before going back to it to check out whats going on at it, instead of just walking back to it and being surprised by people who were using it as a ambush point they knew you'd eventually return to.

To date, other than having people pass by me and not know I was there, I haven't had any weird night time interactions but it only takes once. The stories people have locally of finding new places to shoot and people coming out of nowhere and constantly watching them or telling them some bullshit as to why they need to leave the area are common. If something were to ever happen, especially at night, I do like my chances though lol

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2017
the stories people have locally of finding new places to shoot and people coming out of nowhere and constantly watching them or telling them some bullshit as to why they need to leave the area are common.
Very interesting

rth1800

Two Star General
Belligerents
Sep 16, 2009
I once spent a couple of weeks in remote Arizona south of Grand Canyon.
Lot of off grid types wondering around. Some amazing anti Obama stuff painted on plywood. Things I though would get you a visit.

Funniest thing was a guy packing four full sized Colt SAA’s. Two tied down on his hips and two in a double shoulder rig. All nickel plated. Must of had 100 extra cartridges in loops. No kidding.

He had a flat tire, no spare, no tools. I took him to town. When he got out I ask if he was going to trade in a pistol on tools and a spare. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate

nn8734

nn8734
Belligerents
Feb 26, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I 15 is the only corridor from SLC to Vegas and further to southern California. Most of the land in the Utah area near it is wide open BLM land with some areas fairly hard to get to/terrain locked. There is zero patrolling of anything, and except the first mile or two at the front where 95% of people go to shoot, hang out, bike, etc, not many are further in. It's honestly the wild west.

It's common knowledge that there are people cooking meth/drugs/whatever out there and using the the land to bypass the highway for transportation of whatever they don't want to get pulled over for. Like I said above, I've come across sheds that were built in between fingers of cliffs and covered with bushes to hide them; this is MILES away from anything.

I've also seen small groups of 3-4 mexicans wearing jeans and tshirts/flannels with rucksacks moving around there at night, while its 95+ degrees out with no equipment, lights, etc. I'm assuming from the cache of daisey chained 1 gallon water jugs stashed in a dugout in the middle of the desert I've come across out there, illegals also use the land.

The wild card out there are the people who take advantage of being allowed to 'live' on BLM land for I think 3 weeks at a time, but set up shop out there for 6+ months. Usually the BLM/wildlife/whoever people come around towards August and you'll see the notices to vacate stuck on all of their trailers/RVs, but at that point they've been out there since March. Most are there just to live the 'RV life' and basically live for free, but theres a lot that goes on out there at night by people who don't want to be found and/or are using this as a mobile base.

If I go hunting at night, for the reasons above, I have way more on me than just the single mag people take hunting. Besides having a giant advantage with having nightvision, I have either a Mk12 or a carbine with PEQ15 and suppressor, my hunting rounds, hydration, IFAK, comms and then 3-4 mags of M193/262 on a chest rig along the entire time.

I also take precautions that we did when patrolling overseas like not returning to the vehicle the same route you left, and having a short halt a few 100 yards before going back to it to check out whats going on at it, instead of just walking back to it and being surprised by people who were using it as a ambush point they knew you'd eventually return to.

To date, other than having people pass by me and not know I was there, I haven't had any weird night time interactions but it only takes once. The stories people have locally of finding new places to shoot and people coming out of nowhere and constantly watching them or telling them some bullshit as to why they need to leave the area are common. If something were to ever happen, especially at night, I do like my chances though lol

I also shoot on BLM land here in southern NV (I hate public shooting ranges), the same spot all the time and have been going there for the past 12 years. I sometimes camp out there, on top of a rocky hill that’s somewhat strenuous to climb and allows me to see 360 in all directions from about 400 feet up. Every time I’m there I have a similar load out as you have: load bearing belt with IFAK, g19 pistol, two spare mags, camelback hydration plus three additional gallons of water in a cooler and a cook set with MRE type food, etc. I also always have my SR25 ACC and four mags along with whatever other rifle I’m working with that day. My buddies that often come with me are similarly equipped.

Fortunately I haven’t seen or experienced anything sketchy (yet) but, like you say, all it takes is one time. If it happens I want to be as prepared as possible. I don’t understand people who hike or backpack in the deep woods/back country/middle of nowhere and carry nothing to defend themselves with, other than maybe pepper spray or a pocket knife.

Last edited:

Desert Raven

Better to fight and fall than to live without hope
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2018
The Sonoran Desert 11S11E

Similar situation here in AZ, down near Tucson. One area I hunt is a barren wasteland, Mad-Max-looking place that's 400 square miles with no roads, only paths through the desert, all State land. Thankfully, I've never encountered any illegals/sketchy activity, but here's a tip- if you see a white t-shirt hanging from a tree in a wash...gtfo. That's a sign and not a good one, according to my buddy in the Border Patrol. You also need to be aware that they LOVE to sit on hills and glass a wide area for smuggling routes/observation. They also often have comms to spot and report Border Patrol locations. The German is right, though, in that it only takes one encounter to ruin someone's day. I have enough gear with me to hopefully ensure that the bad day is theirs to enjoy, not mine.

Reactions: camocorvette

Desert Raven

Better to fight and fall than to live without hope
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2018
The Sonoran Desert 11S11E
Well............what does it mean?
Smugglers use it as a sign for routes to take. Usually, they are pretty heavily armed. A volunteer from AZ Game and Fish told us this at a predator hunting club meeting. I confirmed it with my friend who works at Border Patrol.

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2017
Leaving gun stores or shooting ranges, I will make a few u-turns at a random point to make sure I’m not being tailed back to my residence.
I'm always scanning my mirrors. A habit I built up driving in the northeast in the late 80s when every highway was 55 mph and cops were everywhere.

It's hard for someone to tail me and me not see it unless they are really good and switching cars every couple of miles.

But I like your idea. Gonna start making it a habit.

Reactions: camocorvette

Mike_Honcho

Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 21, 2007
German,
Like the German I too have shot alone in the woods (day and night) for @ 20 yrs. The woods (outdoors) is cheap entertainment for 'the poors'.

Although given his war on the Poors, they could be stalking him o_O

More seriously, if a person has a map the only time wheels need to touch pavement is for gas and groceries. One can pretty much travel wherever they want to go on the West Coast via dirt roads. That has a certain appeal to it for some.

Over the years I've met a few questionable folks out and about, but in general I am FAR more concerned about taking a bad fall while setting up steel on steep hillsides at night.

Let's be 1000% honest - any of us rolling around with some gear, esp if you driving an old ratty brush rig, or better yet 'just appearing' from the brush - you're the freaky one to 99.9% of the world. Bad guys may not know what you are, but they know what you're not.

ps - coolest thing I have seen at night is crews fighting fire on the next ridge line over.

silentwoods

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2020
Probably not a very interesting story , and I'm not a writer, but....

About 15 years ago I used to take my son rucking in the boonies around my AO. We have a National Forest a few miles away as the crow flies and tons of state land in between.
My terrain is extremely hilly and thick woods. Over the years I've stretched out our distances as he got stronger.
Typically I would pack 60 lbs. Of gear, carbine and pistol. He was a little fella so he had a camelback , ka-bar and snake stick. His term.
We'd start by laying out a map and lining up my lensatic for him to pick an azimuth.
Teaching basic 11b skills was easier if it was made fun.
So one evening we were at our bivouac site, fire was in a Dakota hole and nearly burned out. He was passed out under the bivy and I was just sitting there relaxing and I heard the sound of someone walking in a creek bed in the holler below us.
I flipped on my pvs7 and ended up watching some dude walking down the dry creek bed without a light, nods or anything. Apparently he was very familiar with the path as he wasn't just strolling through.
Luckily the fire didn't show our camp, and we were quiet since the boy was sleeping.
I've often wondered what that was all about. Considering how many miles and miles we were from civilization. I'm talking deep woods here. And this guy didn't have a long rifle, ruck, lbe or anything on his person and was moving with purpose in BFE late at night.
Had we been noticed we probably wouldn't have know he was ever there.
That's a lesson I learned that evening.

Okay, that's my weird little story.

Reactions: W54/XM-388