• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

oubeta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2003
Edmond, Oklahoma
Well not really, but kinda looks that way
grin.gif

Just got back from Alaska and took a pretty nice grizzly (brown bear) on the headwaters of the Nushigak River on the border of unit 17 & 19.
The bear was right on the edge of a thick alder patch on the river and we were scared we would have to track him into the river. He fell just a few feet from where I shot him.
We had to work really hard this year to get a bear. This one was a 10 mile round trip hike through some really swampy tundra and was a tough pack out.
The weather was terrible 90% of the time with wind gust up to 90mph and a lot of rain. I can recommend the Chugach rain gear by Kuiu. I was amazed it kept me dry for 10 days in the rain. I've always used HH rubber, but it's hot & heavy. The Kuiu stuff worked great. We tried out Wiggy's light weight waders and they worked as advertised. Perfect for crossing small rivers.

[

Re: Bear Attack

that is a dream trip... fantastic pics... beautiful bear.

What was your sidearm pictured??? and what did you shoot to take the grizz down?

S&W 329PD. It's the best gun I've found for AK hunting. It's feather light and you forget you have it on you. I had it in driving rain for 10 days and not a hint of rust anywhere on the gun.
It kicks like a mule, but you hope you never have to shoot it.

1 shot with a .338RUM

Love your pictures. Beautiful bear.

Congrats that is a great bear. That is one of my dreams to hunt browns in Alaska. I got a chance to go fishing on the Kenai river in July and can't wait to go hunting up there. Absolutely beautiful country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AznDragon533</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you dont mind me asking , how much did the bear cost you? </div></div>

what he said..would love to know a ballpark

I guided up there so I met a lot of people while I was guiding.
My buddy didn't charge me much, but I'd say a typical interior grizzly (brown bear) hunt will run you anywhere from $5-10k and a coastal hunt will cost around $18-$23k.

AK State law for non residents says you have to have a guide for brown bear so there isn't no way to do it really cheap. I'd say you have a very good chance of getting a grizz if you are in good shape and are willing to put in the effort. I guided several bear hunts and there was never a time when we coulnd't have got a bear if my clients would have been up for it. A 5mi hike in AK can seem like a marathon depending on the terrain. Walking on the tundra is like walking on a mattress. It really works your legs out.
If you have been on the hill for 5 days and everything you have is wet and you have been on 4 busted stalks and your legs hurt, it's hard for some people to get the motivation to go on another one. This is the issue I ran into with 90% of my clients, but we did have some easy ones also.
l2 years ago we hiked 8 miles after a big boar only for the wind to shift and blow it at the last 1000yrds. On our way back there was a nice bear .25mi from our tent.

If you want to go to AK and hunt bear make sure you are in shape and be prepared to walk. If you are in shape and are mentally tough I'd say your chances of getting a bear are close to 100%. That's what I like about bear hunting on the tundra. It's up to you weather you get a bear and how hard you are willing to work.