• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Beast style hunting on Public land. Who and what state?

Bowhntr4life

James
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2017
I have been successful hunting on public land on the past, but started beast style hunting this past year and it absolutely changed everything I thought I knew about hunting. Are you into this style hunting? What got you started doing it and what’s your set up? Also what state? I’m in Central Missouri.

Attachments

• EEBADEBC-40DD-4D51-802D-31712B6E0DD1.jpeg
    EEBADEBC-40DD-4D51-802D-31712B6E0DD1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 151
Nice buck man! I hunt mostly tree stand/ground blind private land. Archery, muzzle loader and shotgun. Rifle not allowed in my county eastern shore Maryland. Never heard of beast style hunting. Care to elaborate?

My father and I have done several trips to Colorado for archery elk hunting on public land. I've gotten one bull and a cow in three trips, and he's gotten probably 7-8 bulls and several cows in 20ish trips. Public land archery hunting is one of the purest forms of hunting IMO.

Reactions: Bowhntr4life
Nice buck man! I hunt mostly tree stand/ground blind private land. Archery, muzzle loader and shotgun. Rifle not allowed in my county eastern shore Maryland. Never heard of beast style hunting. Care to elaborate?
If you get a chance YouTube beast style hunting. It will change the way you hunt and make you a smarter hunter. Will put you on more deer and make you see why deer do what they do.

Social media bullshit. I’ve been hunting that way my whole life. It’s called “hunting”.
I see it the same way; it's just regular ole' 'hunting'. No new approach, just a catchy phrase that gets people talking about it.

I think you would be hard pressed to come up with a 'new' way of hunting in this day and age.

On the other hand, if you’ve scouted, know the land, and have patterned the game you can use “ambush hunting” (it’s this new technique I invented).

I hunt central Missouri too, on the Gasconade; mostly private land, and I know where they’re coming from and where they’re gonna be. When you don’t know the land and haven’t scouted (public land) you have to stalk. Hunting elk on BLM is ALL stalking.

I didn’t mean to be overly snarky, but this is the first I’ve heard this term, but what it describes has been going on since before the Pleistocene Era.

Social media bullshit. I’ve been hunting that way my whole life. It’s called “hunting”.
Exactly what I was thinking. WTF is beast style hunting? Hunting is hunting, if you need to come up with words and terms to make it more exciting then you need to revisit your purpose.

"Beast Hunting" = if you know where the animal is don't park your atv in the middle of their bedding area.

On the other hand, if you’ve scouted, know the land, and have patterned the game you can use “ambush hunting” (it’s this new technique I invented).

I hunt central Missouri too, on the Gasconade; mostly private land, and I know where they’re coming from and where they’re gonna be. When you don’t know the land and haven’t scouted (public land) you have to stalk. Hunting elk on BLM is ALL stalking.

I didn’t mean to be overly snarky, but this is the first I’ve heard this term, but what it describes has been going on since before the Pleistocene Era.

Completely agree. The basic idea of hunting is to put yourself in range of the game without said game knowing you’re there. Whether stalking or ambushing, the idea is the same. Identify thoroughfares, bedding locations, food and water sources, etc. and exploit them. When I shot a bull on BLM land in CO in 2015, I sat the same water hole for 3 days, and had been there for about 8 hours when the bull showed up. It was early season archery, so we were able to ambush more than you could in late gun season.

Reactions: Fig
That's a great public land buck. That's a accomplishment on public. I have taken on the public land game the last three years. Losing access to private spots to development and sale and confrontation.

I hunt a lake that is bowhunt only. I access via canoe and hang and hunt a spot i have found through maps and boots on the ground scouting in early March.

Beast hunting is not new. However, i feel social media and cable tv has changed the way people hunt in general. It has also given younger or in experienced hunters unrealistic expectations. It's cool you discovered a method of hunting that works for you regardless of how you learned of it or implemented it.

I have been successful 2 years in a row on public and it is a great feeling of accomplishment. Best of luck to you.
IMG_20181103_222345_652.jpg

Im not on social media but I’m guessing this is Dan Infault “the hunting beast”?

He’s a good hunter and shot some great bucks But you are right...it’s just hunting.

But labeling it a style helps the newer hunters latch on and learn how to pattern bucks. Seems like their learning curve is much sharper nowadays with YouTube etc. Overall I think it’s great these guys are learning how to pattern and hunt mature bucks.

Funny thing with public land around here...it’s easier to pattern the hunters than mature bucks. So I hang cameras to find how guys are accessing pieces and what times they go in. Then I hunt escape routes from the bedding areas they push too close. Killed a 4yr old and a 6yr old in the last three years using this strategy. Haha thanks to these “beast” hunters!

Easy to find the trees these ninja beast hunters use...look for marks on bark from their climbers and cut branches.

I thought “Beast Style” is where you just go naked and kill em with your bare hands or latch onto their jugular with your teeth.

Pro-tip - climb a tree and jump on their back when they come by so you can get a good hold on them. Don’t worry, they pretty much lay down and admit defeat at that point. Be sure to video it with a friend so we can see how Beastly you are.

• Haha
Reactions: MCHOG and Rthur
Not sure why patterning whitetails is "best style".

Headed out to hunt sheep on Thursday in the Davis Mountains of West Texas. Hunted sheep in November in New Mexico. Never felt like either experience was beastly. Not sure what I was doing wrong.