• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Beating a dead horse......Custom Beanland vs AI AE MK3

Lrdchaos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Oklahoma
I currently have and action waiting for a stock and barrel at Jon's. I'm looking for the most accurate, quality built rifle for the money. Specs are

Bighorn action
Surgeon DBM
Bartlein 26 barrel
Mcmillan A5 adj stock

I have no doubt with Jon building this rifle it is capable of .5 or less.

I see a lot of Love for the AI, which I'm sure they deserve. Never having fired one, Are they worth skipping the custom? This will be for bench and prone 600-1000 yard matches.

Both rifles would be in 6.5Cm

Thanks in advance

I went gap and wish I would have bought a AI.

Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side.

I went gap and wish I would have bought a AI.

Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side.

That's what I'm thinking. It seems like I want what I don't have yet. But I'm in a position to Sell the Action and Bm and buy an AI. But that Gap Camo stock and Spiral fluted barrle will look pretty sweet on the Custom.

Sell me your parts and buy the AI. I've never shot an AI though I want one bad. I sure do love my bighorn.

Gap is great but if you like how the AI is ergonomically AI.

Personally think anyone can get comfortable on an AI really.

The GAP is great with a smooth action and super accurate. But an AI is an AI. And has a 60* bolt. And it should be more reliable. And everyone has a 700.

The GAP is great with a smooth action and super accurate. But an AI is an AI. And has a 60* bolt. And it should be more reliable. And everyone has a 700.

I went with a Beanland build on a Defiance action and have no regrets. Being able to choose your components is sweet. A custom gun built on a top action by a great smith will be as reliable as an AI. I personally like the looks of a custom vs the AI. I have always heard AI's were great, just havent seen many of them at the tac matches around here to know for sure.

I wouldn't say a custom would be as reliable as an AI, as accurate? sure.....maybe even more accurate but AI has customs beat for reliability hands down. The other thing to think of is that with a custom all the parts are made by different companies so supply extra might become and issue. A shooting buddy of mine had issues with a custom rifle about 18 months ago and he got the run around with everyone blaming someone else for the issues. The smith blamed the action maker, the action maker blamed the stock manufacturer, the stock manufacturer blamed the smith etc etc........this obviously isn't the norm but if there is an issue with an AI you only have to go to them and they'll take care of it.

I have not had a rifle specifically from the smith you are considering so can offer no opinion as to their work but by the sounds of it they have a great reputation and I think either rifle will be a winner and it really comes down to what you want and prefer.

I have had customs and all of which got sold after getting my first AI..........but be warned once you get one AI it might not be enough, I have 2 already with plans for a third!

Good luck whatever you choose to go with

If all you are going to be doing is F-Class and Prone shooting, its pretty hard to beat a AI. And you can always have GAP/Beanland/AO/etc spin on a new barrel for the best of both worlds.

Weight and looks are the determining factors to me . Which one looks better to you, not as much of a choice on weight with the ai

OK rookie question here but wouldn't it depend of what your doing? I mean I have never seen a AI in any of the bench matches locally but I've seen a couple in FTR. I would think a custom set up to competition tolerances would be better for a dedicated range gun not to be used in tactical matches. Not saying AI can't shoot but would sure think theres a lot better stocks for off bags and stuff.

Thread title says AE Mk3, I would be thinking of an AT personally. I have a custom rifle similar to a Crusader from another well known smith, always been accurate and reliable. That said when I got my AI it rarely leaves the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Repeaters aint allowed in F Class....

You might be able to skirt by in Hunter Class benchrest, but AFAIK thats the only place a repeater is allowed. Anything else in BR/F-Class and youre gone have to run it single-loaded.

Not sure of the weight rules but I dont see why a AI couldnt be ran in High-Power Match Rifle, High-Power Prone, etc...

Have you tried the ergos on a MKIII or AT. I would think that would be the first step. If you liked the AI and the Mcmillan A5 equally that would sure make the decision tougher. For me the decision couldn't be made based on the inherent accuracy of the rifles as I couldn't shoot either one of them to the their limits.

I had a custom "hunting stick" built by APA. I wanted something I could nail down any animal in North America with and still have fun ringing the steel with the guys on the weekends. I had Jered and crew build me a .280AI on an old Rem 700. Manners stock, Broughton Barrel. Shoots lights out. I don't think I've shot it as good as it can be shot (if that makes any sense). Last year when the AT was announced and the MkIII was being DC'd, I bought a MkIII in .308 with a 24" barrel and a folding stock. I couldn't pass the deal up. It's an absolute hammer. It likes hand loads, it likes FGMM, it don't care. I find that I shoot it better off the bench and prone than my .280AI. Now i have a dedicated hunting stick and a dedicated range toy. I'm 100% satisfied with both, and could probably satisfy my needs with just one of em. (don't tell my wife that!)

When I first got interested in long range shooting, I lusted after an AI. I started with a R700 ACC-SD that eventually was put in an AICS. The gun is a shooter, but it isn't the AI I always wanted. I eventually picked up a 6.5CM MKIII at a price that even someone who hated AI's would have jumped on. It's built like a tank, super smooth action, and shoots factory & hand loads better than I can. If the AI bug is in you, it probably won't be satisfied with anything else.

Last edited:
Those with AI's what kind of accuracy are you seeing, .5?

That's about right, a little better or worse depending on the day. I bought three MK3s this year, buttery smooth and just so reliable. Almost no handloads they don't like (primarily shoot .260s and .243). Shoot it Saturdays, range and critters - feeds well, always seems to hit where it should. Easy to change out a barrel if you want to try .243, .260, .308, etc.

I would love to have an AI rifle, but at the same time am very happy with my decision to have a custom rifle built off a Surgeon action. Jon Beanland has all my parts currently and has been awesome to deal with. Met up with him in person while he was up here in the city and handed my rifle over to him in person. It is hard to describe how nice of a guy he is. Either way you would be happy, but for me the choice was easy. I have always wanted a Surgeon action, made by one of my fathers old high school buddies as well as a rifle built by one of the best local builders. I greatly enjoy supporting the little guys, although I was several years too late on the action...

I'll comment that I have one rifle, an AE MKIII. With the prices of an AE right now, I'm not sure you'll spend money better on something else. I have no hands on experience with customs, but is did my research and voted with my dollars.

We were at the PRS match the other day and were range officers on a stage. One of the guys came up with his AI and started the timed stage.
After his fourth or fifth shot, it refuse to fire.
He had pierced a primer and it blocked the firing pin.
He pulled the bold, opened it and pulled the firing pin-no tools- and cleared the jam.
He was back behind the gun in 10-12 seconds and finished the stage before the clock got him.
That was impressive and a testament to the Ai for that type of action.
You cant do that without tools on a rem or clone.

I'll start by being fair with a disclosure...I've not shot an AI.

But for the close to the same money as I can have custom premium parts gun assembled I'll go that route every time. Keep in mind that assembly is only going to be as good as the smith doing the work. John has built and earned himself a great reputation and I wouldn't hesitate to use him for anything. So I'll be it appears in the minority and say go with the custom.