• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Because who doesn't like a GoPro lathe video?

Here I'll save some of these guys' trouble:

OH MY GOOOOOODDDD!!!! Are you telling me that you didn't indicate off of a rod you shoved into the rifling with an 8-12 jaw set up or or or or at least use a 4" long dial indicator to find true center???

10000% guaranteed baffle strike!
;)

eta: Sarcasm was used in this post.

Last edited:
Here I'll save some of these guys' trouble:

OH MY GOOOOOODDDD!!!! Are you telling me that you didn't indicate off of a rod you shoved into the rifling with an 8-12 jaw set up or or or or at least use a 4" long dial indicator to find true center???

10000% guaranteed baffle strike!
;)

eta: Sarcasm was used in this post.

As noted in the video, because of the massive recoil lug that is pressed and soldered to the barrel shank, I could not indicate the barrel between two gimbals through the headstock =)

The rifle has been test fired 6 times, I had to fire 6 because the first 5 blew up my test silencers. Luckily silencer #6 worked out great with no baffle strike! (Also just kidding, the test firing showed no problems at all).

On a side note, I never thread barrels for silencers between centers unless I have no other option, which in this case I didn't. Normally all of my work is done through the headstock, primarily so I can quantify my runout, because it helps me sleep at night. Although with a properly center-drilled / 60 degree bored center hole, machine work between centers can be VERY accurate... I'm pretty sure shoving a live center into the barrel crown doesn't count, hence the 0.020" light DOC.

The quietest suppressors have the bullets enter thru the rear and never exit the can.......

( Kidding also)

Looks good to me.

Question, since I'm researching it now. What inserts are you using in the profiling tool, and what does the finish look like?

This isn't my favorite tool because inserts are so hard to find. The finish isn't spectacular either because 200 rpm with coated carbide just doesn't cut it. I couldn't run a steady on the barrel without a collar, so I decided just to take it slow on the RPM and run a secondary clean up pass with 0 DOC. It worked out pretty well, although not as nice as high rpm (600+) with a decent DOC. I had to use this profiling tool because of the live center, my "favorite" cutter cant get in to the muzzle side with the center in it.

Although I'll probably exiled from the forum here, I would recommend Shars tool holders (their bits suck). For me anyways, I have always had great luck with them. They are cheap, dependable, rock solid and seem to be ground to all of the correct angles best I can tell.

As far as recommendations, the best I can do is give you a do-it-all insert since I don't know what kind of stock you are cutting or what kind of power your machine has. I would take a look at CNMG inserts, you get 4 cutting surfaces (2 top / 2 bottom) and you can get a 5 degree side relief angle holder that will allow you to face and turn with the same tool without changing your tool angle (90 - 80 / 2 = 5 degree side relief). Most importantly, I would look carefully at coating ratings, you can easily spend weeks sifting through different manufacturers information, only to still be confused. Honestly, I have found that for our little machines (4003G class), un-coated or a low SFM coating like Valenites VC101 work wonderfully. I get really great surface finish with CNMT331 VC101 held with a MCLN R-08-3B (shars.com - 12quot RH MCLN TriLock Tool Holder) on my manual machine. Understand that this holder is designed for 321 inserts and I am running 331 inserts, just set your 0 on center and don't worry that it looks funny, it still cuts great for CM and stainless steel.

Here is a great carbide insert chart: http://home.comcast.net/~david.johnson11/KBC2.jpg

Feel free to PM me if you want some help or want a good deal on some inserts (I picked up quite a few on Ebay last year because they worked so well for me).

Side note, I'm by no means a carbide expert, you should speak with someone from the CNC side of the world who has a clue what they are talking about if you want real answers =)

Iscar DNMG 332 or 432 depending how big your setup is, IC908. Similar 55* profile tool, works great.

I did have a bad Shars toolholder that has kept me from trying more, may have been a one off thing, but the insert was not tight in the holder and was able to rotate back and forth even with it as tight as I could get it. I went with Carmex for the above holder, theyre only about $20 more.

Looking forward to checking out the video once Im off my limited data, Ive been wanting to document a full rifle build with the gopro just havent gotten around to it.

Thanks, I may take you up on that. Im currently using a Sandvik CNMG 432 insert in 1025 grade, in an Iscar holder if I remember correctly, but I want to try some other coatings to see if I can improve the finish on barrel steel. Ill be trying the one you posted about the other day too, Jon. I need to pick up a profiling tool too.

Iscar DNMG 332 or 432 depending how big your setup is, IC908. Similar 55* profile tool, works great.

I did have a bad Shars toolholder that has kept me from trying more, may have been a one off thing, but the insert was not tight in the holder and was able to rotate back and forth even with it as tight as I could get it. I went with Carmex for the above holder, theyre only about $20 more.

Looking forward to checking out the video once Im off my limited data, Ive been wanting to document a full rifle build with the gopro just havent gotten around to it.

All of my boring bars are solid carbide Iscar (some insert, some not. The one I cut the crown with in the video was an Iscar solid carbide mini bar... AMAZING quality) and I have a few Kenny holders that I love, I only order Shars brand holders when I can't find a nice Ebay deal on a USA holder.

Don't hold your breath too much on the video, it was mostly just a camera setup test, still need to work out some of the details as it's not where I want it yet. I'm hoping to make something a lot better on my next build coming up soon (I didn't do any editing on this, it's literally just the raw footage sped up about 40x).

arthur warner has hss insert tooling. works great for lower speed work. there profile tool excepts both hss and carbide. lee

I've never seen anyone thread a barrel in two minutes! You are the MAN!
J/K
This does motivate me though. As soon as I'm out of this wretched place, I'll be going back to school to learn this craft. Cool video man.

I've never seen anyone thread a barrel in two minutes! You are the MAN!
J/K
This does motivate me though. As soon as I'm out of this wretched place, I'll be going back to school to learn this craft. Cool video man.

I have :D

But very cool video! I enjoy watching these.

I have :D

But very cool video! I enjoy watching these.

You CNC people disgust me... j/k. I almost picked up a nice used TL-1 last year, luckily for my wallet someone beat me to the punch. What was the beast you were running in your other video? For someone with a new toy, your changer sure was full!

Maybe a dumb question, but does the AR Warner tool hold the insert at the same angle as one designed for carbide? I was looking at getting one but don't want to limit my carbide options.