• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

bedded HS vs manners

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
i have an HS stock that is already inletted for a DBM, i picked up from a hide member about a year ago. i have been running my 5R in a mcree, but i prefer the traditional stock more. currently, the HS accuracy just isn't up to snuff compared to my mcree. i was advised to get it bedded in another thread.

if i have this bedded for my 5R, what am i giving up by not going with a manners with the mini chassis? obviously, you don't have to bed the manners mini chassis from my understanding.

below is a good example of the groups.

I just switched from an HS to a t4a mini chassis. True, the mini-chassis doesn't have to be bedded, but there are those who bed them to get every bit of accuracy possible. If you are happy with the feel of the HS, A bedded HS should have as much or more of an accuracy advantage vs. the Mini-chassis. My 5r shot my 175smk load in the .4's in my unbedded HS, and the first 5 shot group in the mini-chassis measures .483", so I feel like i haven't gained or lost anything. I just prefer the feel of the manners. I would suggest bedding the HS and trying it, before you spend $1000 on a stock.

Another thing to note with your HS, my unbedded HS shot much better torqued to 42 in/lbs front and rear than it did torqued to 65 in/lbs. Just something you could try.

ok, dumb question, and i think i know the answer: how did you figure out 42 pounds? torque it up to 65, shot a group and then keep backing it off?

my goal isn't bug holes at 500 yards. it would be nice, but i just don't see that happening. i don't hand load yet, if/and when i do, i don't have the patience to load 10 rounds for each combo of .001" and half grain of differing powder.

i'd be happy with constantly killing empty beer cans/clay pigeons at 500yds.

New to the sport and I'm happy with the HS stock. I shot with it torqued to 45, 50 and 55#'s and saw groups like yours.
TgtGfx-PPU new.jpg

Then had it bedded and some more time behind the gun with good results.
RO_5shot.jpg

Just wish it was inletted for a BDM like yours. Very happy with the stock.

Last edited:
My 700p shot in the .1 and .2 range in the HS unbedded. That is the 2nd Tammy I have had like that. Around here I can pick up a HS for 225$ used real often and until I see the day I can outshoot an HS I will never feel handicapped with one. They are great stocks. I'm not seeing your groups show up but I would check the simple things... Torque, free floated, etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk