• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bedded with devcon removal?

dshag

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2014
dfw, tx
I purchased a rifle recently and it has a manners t4a stock thats been bedded with devcon. I am considering rebarreling the gun later on and am curious whats in store? How hard is it to remove devcon, will it ruin the stock?

Have you removed the action from the stock? The only thing you may need to do is dremel some bedding compound in front of the recoil lug if you plan on running a heavier contour, assuming they bedded in front of the recoil lug. If you are wondering if the stock and action will separate? There should be no bedding on the action if it was done properly, the stock and action are not bonded together.

I purchased a rifle recently and it has a manners t4a stock thats been bedded with devcon. I am considering rebarreling the gun later on and am curious whats in store? How hard is it to remove devcon, will it ruin the stock?

Like Cpt. Kirk said.

DEVCON is a brand of EPOXY. You will have to sand, grind or machine it down as it is very solvent resistant!

Ruin the stock? Probably not, unless you do something silly. The stock may have to be loosened up by sanding, grinding or machining and re-bedding for a new action.

UNLESS: The previous guy DEVCON'd the hell out of the stock and slapped the action in with the DEVCON still wet... Then you may have some issues.

~Will

As long as the people who originally bedded the action used release compound, the action should come out. I wanted to completely re-bed a rifle, and had to grind out enough of the old bedding compound so the new coat would have a good enough thickness to bond to the old surface. As long as you don't grind on the actual material that makes up the stock, grinding out the old bedding isn't too difficult if you go slowly and carefully.

I did find out that if you grind long in one area, the bedding can heat up, and get all gummy. The trick there was not grinding on any one area long enough for the bedding material to heat up.