• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bedding a 77/22

jcwarrior87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Selah, Wa
Well I have my new stock for my 77/22 just about all finished, final coat is drying right now. I am wanting to pillar bed the action, I added a new .920 barrel and it rides the barrel channel rather bad(1" channel) did a test last night with some silly puddy and there is about an 1/8 of and inch between the bottom of the front block and the bottom of the inlet. I am just wondering if any one has bedded a 77/22 here before and any has any tips?

Re: bedding a 77/22

I've done a few. I wouldn't say they are are my favorite action to bed.

I used brass fittings that I cut down for the pillars. I can't remember where I originally saw this done at, but it seems to work well. You'll want to be sure strip everything from the trigger mechanism and use lots of putty or clay to fill in all the little nooks and crannies. I usually do the first couple of inches of the barrel channel. Finding the correct threaded rod was tough, I found the correct threaded screws at Home Depot and cut off the heads. That worked alright. I had a pretty good lockup with the first one I did. That taught me a pretty good lesson.

Re: bedding a 77/22

there's nothing special to doing it. i just finished one at the shop friday and about to start on mine monday. i used aluminum tubing for the pillars, bedded it like any other rifle. check the bedding threads in gunsmithing section and look close at all of the pictures. PM me if you have anymore questions, will get back to you as quick as i can.