• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding a barrel/chamber to action Ruger 77/22

Charger442

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2010
    South Texas
    Trying to get my Ruger 77/22 to shoot well. its one ive put my thermal on and im getting bad flyers.

In my reading, i came across a guy who claimed one secret to accurizing the 77/22 was to (on barrels with V-block and slip fit) marine-tex the barrel to the action, being extremely careful to set it in plum/straight/perpendicular etc.

Then install the V-block at correct torque, then i would bed the action and first couple inches of the barrel.

Could the barrel be removed with heat at a later time? It makes sense to me, the same way people are bedding AR barrels to their actions. but i am not sure if they are using marine-tex or something else.

Thoughts? opinions?

That sounds like a lot of work with questionable results and hard to walk it back.

IMHO one of these days I'll just send my 77/22's (I have a 22lr and a 22 hornet) to CPC and have them work their magic. I've read nothing but good things about their work and they seem to be the best when it comes to 77/22's.

Reactions: Westcoast308
    That sounds like a lot of work with questionable results and hard to walk it back.

IMHO one of these days I'll just send my 77/22's (I have a 22lr and a 22 hornet) to CPC and have them work their magic. I've read nothing but good things about their work and they seem to be the best when it comes to 77/22's.

Sadly, they do no stock work. Which I think I need. I will be eliminating the Ruger stock bump at the end

Trying to get my Ruger 77/22 to shoot well. its one ive put my thermal on and im getting bad flyers.

In my reading, i came across a guy who claimed one secret to accurizing the 77/22 was to (on barrels with V-block and slip fit) marine-tex the barrel to the action, being extremely careful to set it in plum/straight/perpendicular etc.

Then install the V-block at correct torque, then i would bed the action and first couple inches of the barrel.

Could the barrel be removed with heat at a later time? It makes sense to me, the same way people are bedding AR barrels to their actions. but i am not sure if they are using marine-tex or something else.

Thoughts? opinions?
    I’m on my 3rd 77/22 (an AllWeather). First two wouldn’t shoot in a bucket, no matter what I tried. 3rd groups were promising. Noted bolt bounce during firing, so I tested different cures before purchasing a shim kit which cured the issue (occasional fliers in every mag).
    It now will group with some of my best sporters.
    I’d advise first: slug the bore. That will let you know if it’s even worth pursuing with that barrel.
    Next, if you do decide to bed barrel to action, wax the action-not the barrel. This way you should be able to remove the barrel easily without damaging the action.
    In the interest of pure accuracy, there is a lot of potential for action flex in this design. Because of this, and the two piece scope mount, any flexing/stress gets transferred directly to the scope tube. If you can bed/mount a one piece steel Picatinny rail bridging the action top, this will no doubt add rigidity.
    Lastly, my third came with an adjustable sear of unknown mfg, and I added a trigger stop. This greatly improved the trigger pull and shoot ability of such a light and somewhat flimsy rifle.