• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding a savage 110

Bridges90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2017
Ashland, KY
I have a 90s era savage 110 my dad bought me as my first hunting rifle. It has the cheap synthetic stock and I am wanting to get a Boyd’s walnut stock. These stocks do not come pillar bedded. Boyd’s does offer for extra cash the option to pillar bed only the front action screw. After talking to Boyd’s about why only the front they said the back action screw area didn’t seem to have enough “meat” to pillar bed. Is this bullshit? Can a competent gunsmith pillar bed both the front and back of a Boyd’s 110 stock? I haven’t found a lot of from the factory pillar bedded stock options in a traditional hunting shape. Hogue offers one and while I have no issues with hogues full aluminum bedded stocks for what they are, I’m wanting to get my dad a nice walnut stock he’s been wanting for awhile. Any help would be much appreciated as I have googled the shit out of about everything.

Nonsense. Boyd's just doesn't want to fuck with it, maybe because the rear pillar is notched for the sear)
Plenty of places to buy the pillars, including Stocky's:

Easy to DIY the pillar install. Receiver bedding is a bit more involved tho on Savages (float the tang), maybe not the easiest to DIY if you've never bedded a rifle before- but definitely doable.

Reactions: Ronws
I have bedded 2 savages within the last 4 months or so. I use 1/4ID-3/8 OD spacers from Lowe’s. Get the 1” ones and cut them to fit. You will have to notch the rear so the sear will fall. It’s a trial fit deal. I usually drill the stock 3/8” and then hog out the holes as needed with a dremel. Sometime your hole may walk into the magazine area. No big deal just block it off with clay when you go to bed it. I usually use play dough you can get for 75 cents at Walmart. There are YouTube videos by Vaughn Precision and The Social Regressive that are good to watch. I bedded the action and pillars at the same time. It’s messy but turned out great.