• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding a SPS Varmint????

Jacko Jeebus

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2010
Oregon
I was wondering if anyone has seen heard of any one bedding a Tupperware stock on a SPS Varmint? I know that the front end is quite flimsy and cant be free floated. What if the barrel channel was filled also. I've never seen it so I'm guessing it has been tried and failed.

Re: Bedding a SPS Varmint????

just buy a take off 700p/ other 700 stock i bought my 700p take off, here for $100 save you tons of time and energy in long run

I'm going to be buying a stock in the future but was just wondering . I'm thinking about trying to bed a rifle figured why not use an old stock.

The problem with your project is that the materials to bed it will cost more than the stock is worth. You can get up to $40 for that stock the way it is , or buy a tub of Devcon, or glass, dremel away, find out it was not worth it, then sell it for $15.

Folks still buy the plastic varmint stocks, so they can use their heavy bbl guns as a walking rifle and reduce weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jacko Jeebus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if anyone has seen heard of any one bedding a Tupperware stock on a SPS Varmint? I know that the front end is quite flimsy and cant be free floated. What if the barrel channel was filled also. I've never seen it so I'm guessing it has been tried and failed. </div></div>

I have an SPS-V in .223 and had the factory stock bedded and floated by a gunsmith here in Vegas. It improved my groups noticeably. Barrel channel was not filled.

not worth your time. i didnt even shoot mine with the factory stock. just look on classifieds here and you will find a good stock pretty cheap.

I have one I bedded and it shot pretty good, I have since replaced it with a B&C M40 stock.

Like mentioned above, forearm is weak.

PM me if you think you might want it.
TJ

Basically what I will say is echoing what others have said. In the end its your choice you decide how much you want to put into YOur gun and in what areas. Personally I would ditch the factory stock and look for a B&C or HS precision if you want to keep the costs relatively cheap or if your ready to step up to the plate go Manners, Mcmillan, AICS.... you get the picture. It really depends on what you want to do. I think that bedding is a waste of money though. Lets say it costs $130 which is I believe what I had seen on some gunsmiths website. So you spend $130 and it improves your accuracy but resale value I dont think you'll get close to that and for $50-$100 more you get get a takeoff 5r or other similar stock which I think is more comfortable and still much more sturdy. Heres what I would do if You have the Hogue stock sell it for $50 add another $150 and get yourself a good HS or B&C. Good luck whichever you decide.

How does the rifle shoot at the moment? I purchased a 26" 308 SPS varmint several years ago and it was a amazing shooter right out of the box. Left untouched for awhile it simply digested 155,168,175's and put them into 1/2 moa groups like clockwork but the problem would be that the POI would suddenly change which bothered me. It is now in an AICS chassis and still continues to be a shooter without the shifting POI.

I am just saying to give it a try first, it just might get you by for a period of time.

I guess I should have clarified. I meant I am looking to practice bedding a stock I have another varmint stock sitting here. I am handloading 168 Hornady HPBT and shoot .561 outside to outside. so its not a group thing. Just looking to try out some basics. Also picked up an old Argentine Mauser from a buddy for 20 bucks. He had it given to him and does not know the caliber since there are no caliber stampings. Guessing 7.65x53R but I have no had the time to look at it. I figured hell for 20 bucks might be worth a practice rifle (bedding stock, coatings, paint styles, etc). What are your guys thoughts?

I used an old stock to bed, dremel out and rebed multiple times as I learned the little tricks and techniques for myself. If all your investing is your time and the epoxy I say fire away and see what you can do.

If you dont want to spend $40 a pound on devcon look at PC7 as a very similar texture and viscosity.

I would much rather experiment on a beater rifle or stock than mess up on something nice or a buddys stick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used an old stock to bed, dremel out and rebed multiple times as I would much rather experiment on a beater rifle or stock than mess up on something nice or a buddys stick. </div></div>
Just what I was thinking. Thanks for the info guys, you're always helpful.

I've got a gunsmith friend who beds these crappy plastic stocks with pretty good results. He fills the little waffle holes with aluminum blocks and beds over them. That not only saves on bedding compound but it also prevents the compound from overheating as it cures which it will do in large quantities. He normally beds the action area and the rear of the barrel for contact and then fills the forward portion with enough compound to keep the bedding blocks bonded to the stock. That stiffens up the front end enough that a bipod won't cause the stock to bounce off the barrel from flexing. So thats the good news....it will work.
The bad news is that for the cost of the compound and the time you spend doing all this work you're better off buying one of the $100 stocks from Boyds or Stockys.

Hope that helps

Frank

if you've never bedded one, by all means, practice on it. if you can only get a few bucks for it, its worth the practice to you. you dont want to drop a few hundred bucks on a stock and screw up the bedding on it and ruin the expensive stock.

its not difficult, but it can be a little tricky at first. i finally got it right the first time on my 3rd stock.

i would also look to pillar bed anything you have. if its got an al bedding block, check out ernie the gunsmiths spacers that act like pillars. he has some really great explanations on his site about why to do this, and how much stresses are actually involved once you torque down your action screws.

If you can bed that cheap Stock well you'll be able to bed a nice stock really well. the cheap stocks are harder to do I had a lot of problems with getting the bedding material to stick when i seperated the parts for the first time but I did a Bell and Carlson and It went great for me. Cheap practice, do it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can polish a turd, but it will still stink. </div></div>
Yes you can. I'm going to try to bed this stock. Why not, practice makes perfect right.

If you are dead set on doing it. Try a pillar bed first. Use some devcon 10110 and your choice of release agent. Devcon is thicker and easier to move into place.

I pillar bedded my sps stock for practice. I decided to free float the barrel by sanding off the two pressure pads in the forearm. Accuracy went way down so decided to get a little practice. I ordered some aluminum standoffs from Mcmaster Carr and devcon 10110. I also filled in the waffle area with small sections of a carbon arrow and a cheap epoxy to stiffen it.

I would much rather screw up on a sps stick than a manners. PM me if you want any pictures of it.