• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding a switch barrel (Question for smiths)

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2007
GA
When bedding a switch barrel, do you still bed a pad in front of the recoil lug?

Re: Bedding a switch barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ackleyfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't! </div></div>
X2
don't do it.

I am not bedding an existing rifle. The bedding will be done to a new build with all barrels having the same contour.

The question is addressed to smiths who have already bedded a switch barrel rifle rather than a discussion of hypotheticals.

Obviously the concern is that minute differences in the barrel contours could cause tension in the bedding.

For those that have built switch barrels, is this a real concern?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best to bed from the back side of the lug rearward. As a barrel is switched, no way to make sure the lug is "clamped" in the exact same spot every time. </div></div> This...

Thank you Florida!! Woody...good to hear from you brother!

Re: Bedding a switch barrel (Question for smiths)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When bedding a switch barrel, do you still bed a pad in front of the recoil lug? </div></div>

The only thing I want touching my barrels is air.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJ Brown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pin the recoil lug. Unless it is one of your FN's then never mind.

Alan </div></div>

I wouldn't touch one of those FNs Alan, you did way too good a job building them!!

Thanks.

E-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you Florida!! Woody...good to hear from you brother! </div></div>
Hey Scout. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well : )

I'm confused who's disscusing hypotheticals? looks like to me everybody agrees that its a good idea not to bed under the barrel for a switch barrel.

OK. First, I agree, so why do we bed non-switch barrel guns under the barrel???

I've heard support, to tame harmonics and other reasons...

I believe alot of people don't bed under non-switch barrel guns. Like wnroscoe said I don't wany anything touching my barrel but air.

I once had a savage bedded under the nut.had to remove it when the barrel got swapped. I would not bed under there again.