• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding Blunder! Need HELP

STONEPONY

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2005
Mississippi
I will start from the begginging! I bedded an HS stock I bought with steel bed and it turned out real good! As soon as I got it bedded was going to let it sit up, i looked down the barrel and saw that a little bedding had come through the front action screw and got into the lug area. I immediatly got it cleaned out and thought all was well. Today, I finally went to fire my rifle and when I went to chamber the first round, It would not chamber!! After carefully inspecting the rifle, I can see a small smudge of steel bedding in the chamber that has dried!! I guess it smodged in there when I was cleaning out the lug area? I have no idea what to do now? Is this barrel ruined or is there something I can do to get it out. This has got to be the most bone headed thing I have ever done! I am just about to the vomit stage!!!!!!!!! Do you have any ideas??? Oh yea, this is on a rig I just had plumbed up with a new Krieger barrel!

Re: Bedding Blunder! Need HELP

you can pick it out with a little metal hook like the dentist use justbe carefull not to dig it into the steel , generaly their is a tiny amount of oil in their that will keep the compound from setting up like it does in the stock , it should comeout reasonably easy

You could try putting the barrel in the freezer for a while and see if that helps pop the epoxy loose. Try a pick like JJones75 suggested, it should just pop loose. I usually get some on the outside of an action where I didn't put release agent. Never fails it seems. A little dental pick or just a pop-sickle stick will snap it free. Good luck.

Mike

I used a little dental pick and got it out. The rounds will chamber now! I can see some very very lite little scratches from the tool. Will they have any effect?

Good job! Doubtful there is any damage but you could smooth out any scratches with lightly rubbing 800 or 1000 grit sandpaper on it. Just lightly!

Mike

It's completely ruined. But you're in luck. I have a premium barrel burial site here on the farm. Send it on and I'll see to it she goes quietly.

Seriously though, if the scratches are in fact "very very little", you should be fine. Check and compare fired cases to see if the scratches are engraving the brass. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

unless you realy got down on the pressure with he pick I highly doubt that the scratch is deep enought to mark the cases.
If their is a little groove in their try to polish it out with a loose fitting bore brush that has a patch wrapped around it , you want just enough pressue to feel its their and use a veryvery fine compound like 1000 grit at the most , tooth past will work as will polishing compound used for polishing paint on cars.
but for the most part unless its putting a scratch on the case I'd leave it alone , I know more than a few guys that have dicked up their chamber trying to "polish" out a little burr.

You can barely see them so I dought they are deep enough then. I first tried to get it out with a brass brush lightly running it over it. That might have been where they came from. I will shoot and it let yall know! I hope all is well!!! I am sick and tired of having to learn the hard way of how to do things!

Look at your fired brass, if there's a ridge where the scratches are I'd try to polish it out, if there's no mark of any significance I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Scary lesson learned eh? Learing the hard way instills the lesson deeper in the memory!

Another way to get those out (yes I learned the hard way as well) is to turn the compressed air cans upside down and let it come out as a liquid. It will freeze the bedding almost instantly and it snaps out real clean using nothing more dangerous than a popcicle stick.

This trick works equally well when bedding gets into stuff like trigger assemblies. (not mine got to watch that one)

No super smith here but I have found that if you try to clean it up before it sets you can't ever get it all...but if you let it get hard or mostly hard then pop the whole ball of wax, it will likely come all at once and you don't have the little traces of where you couldn't clean the wet compound completly.