• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding jobs

G

Those of you that have done your own, advice on the first one?

Re: Bedding jobs

There's a bunch of this info already in this forum, friend. Use the SEARCH function. Set the date range to "newer than one year". Search on "bedding", and get to reading.

You might also try Googling for "rifle bedding", and search YouTube for "rifle bedding", to see video of such tasks.

Good luck, and use enough release agent.
smile.gif

Bedding compound gets everywhere, tape up everything.

Get the Brownells spray release agent, and use plenty of it. Make sure you spray a bit in the chamber area. Compound can ooze in from the front screw hole.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1045&title=ACRA-RELEASE?

If you're looking for an aesthetically perfect job, send it off to a professional like GAP or PAI. I'm about to box up a rifle/stock to send to George.

I take it you have done your homework ?
Maybe do a run down of your plan, the critiques will follow.

take a look at the posts that i have been on i done a butt load of research on this site before i done mine

One top thing I haven't really seen discussed, is be absolutely sure to allow sufficient curing time before doing much handling of the epoxy bed. I had to do my first bedding job twice due to over-handling the job while the epoxy was still relatively soft, and it peeled away from the aluminum bedding block of my stock.

Oh, if you're bedding over aluminum, be sure to rough it all up real well... 60-80 grit paper.

Next time, I will mask more carefully to allow complete trimming and clean-up of the excess epoxy while the receiver is still in the stock, letting it set up for at least 24 hours before removal.

As for release agent, I tried the Brownell's brush-on release, and hated it. It released okay, but went on way too thick and was a pain to clean up afterward.

Kiwi neutral-colored shoe polish by far worked the best. For epoxy, use Devcon 10110. You can get it from mcmaster.com. It has a finite shelf life so try to bed all your rifles within the next few months. ;-)

I have bedded four rifles in the past two weeks. Three were Remington 700's & one Weatherby.

I used Devcon Steel putty for all with Kiwi neutral shoe polish for the release agent. Kiwi is cheap, can be found everywhere and works great. Have never had one stick.

It would have been an AICS chassis, but I think i'm just going to keep the original HS stock.