• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding,Modifying and Airbrushing...DIY adventures

Xdguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2010
TX
I thought I would share my recent DIY stock bedding and airbrushing project. First off, I need to thank a few members.

Thewoodman007 for selling me a McMillan A4 for a price that I could afford. Otherwise my remmy would still be sitting in it's original stock which I really never cared for. For those of you who don't know Thewoodman007(I call him Steve) he builds some of the most bad-ass knives I've ever seen. Check him out here Rock River Iron. For those of you who appreciate quality equipment, start saving your pennies and order a knife from him.

wnroscoe for posting a thread on how to bed stock/actions which can be found HERE

I also need to thank Scimitar, PCR and everybody else that contributed to a thread that I started HERE which helped me decide whether or not I could even use this stock. It's barrel channel was originally inlet for a heavy barrel which was waaay to large for my Varmit profile barrel.

Finally, I need to thank Paint by Dimensions and his willingness to answer a couple technical questions I had about airbrushing Duracoat. His official thread can be found HERE. Take a minute to check out this guys work. It's incredible and was exactly what i wanted. I borrowed a couple of his ides. Hope he doesn't mind.

Anyway, here are the pictures of the progression.

Poorman's milling = Harbor Freight drillpress and some sort of cutting bit. Don't laugh, it worked well enough for the bottom metal. Jeff at CDI sold be the DBM. Look up the link yourself. I'd do it, but he didn't return my last email.
wink.gif
His product is good and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from him again.
1.jpg

Just took my time, fit it flush and done.
2.jpg

This was the hardest part. Drilling straight holes for the alluminum pillars. I didn't have a Forstner bit and the pillars required a 9/16ths bit which are apparently impossible to find.
3.jpg

Got the pillars in and cut to fit.
4.jpg

Next I gathered all my supplies to bed the action.
5.jpg

6.jpg

Point of no return. In the back of my mind I was wondering if I didn't just glue my action to the stock forever.
7.jpg

Nope, it popped right out. This is before I did some cleaning with the dremel.
8.jpg

Now that the action was bedded, I moved on the making the barrel fit. As you can see, the chanel is cut way to big for my barrel profile.
9.jpg

I taped it off and slopped it full of Devcon
10.jpg

Re: Bedding,Modifying and Airbrushing...DIY adventures

and clamped the barrel in. A few layers of 10 mil pipe tape
made for a nice looking gap while still freefloating the barrel. That's the kind of info that helpful members here are kind enough to offer up.
11.jpg

And success!!
12.jpg

Next comes the hard part. Airbrushing some killer stuff to make it a one of a kind. This is the part where failure was absolutely an option. I've never airbrushed before, but I do have a college degree in photography and a background in Automotive painting. I figured that between the two, I'd either make something acceptable, or totally fail and I would have to send it off to Dimensions to fix it. For better or worse, I am an avid do it yourselfer.

Ordered an airbrush and some duracoat. Also headed to the automotive paint store to pick up some paint, reducer, thinner etc... for practicing. For those of you who are wondering, in the end, I really didn't save much money over paying to have it done. And if I take my time into consideration, I could have paid to have five done.
14.jpg

I downloaded lots of skull pics, sized and printed them and layed them out in a design I liked.
15.jpg

I bought a stencil burner and cut out my stencils.
16.jpg

Practiced a lot!!
17.jpg

Painted the basecoat, let it dry overnight and then put the stencil coat on.
18.jpg

Next comes the shading. This is where all the practice payed off, and this is where I became really nervous. One slip up and you can easily ruin your stuff. I have a few mess ups here and there, but luckily, I got in the zone and did pretty well. The pros get a lot more shape and depth in their work, but I think I still did pretty good.
20.jpg

Finally, a few coats of matte clear to knock out the shine.
21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Probably ought to thank SWFA for the group buy on the SS glass.

All I need now is a group buy on a bolt knob and fluting the bolt. Hint Hint
wink.gif

Hope you guys enjoyed.

That's bad ass very well done sir !! Be very proud of your acompisment now go shoot the hell out off it !!

Very, Very COOL

Learned a new vocabulary word today! Stencil Burner!

Looks great and well done, sir.

Mike

Wow, very nicely done all the way around.

Where did you find those stencils. Ive been looking for some good ones but my google skills suck. That is some fine work!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper12b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you find those stencils. Ive been looking for some good ones but my google skills suck. That is some fine work! </div></div>

I made all the stencils from images found on Google. I searched Skull images, skull stencils etc.... Some of them took some tweeking in photoshop. If you can draw, which I can not, there is no reason you couldn't just draw them. The stencils really just give the basic flat outline.

Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing your experience. Good job on the work you did and on documenting your journey. Hope it shoots as good as it looks
cool.gif

I love "We the People" I think that is really bad ass!!! Great work on the rest of the job!!!

That is awesome, job well done. You will have to report back on how well it shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thewoodman007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well done !!!!Now I want to buy the stock back
yes you guys can check out my knives at www.rockriveriron.com
Maker of the Hide Fighter and Hunter

I'll have a few for sale with in a week
thewoodman007 </div></div>

Ha...Not a chance! You had it for 10 years without doing anything with it. I do appreciate you selling it to me though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love "We the People" I think that is really bad ass!!! Great work on the rest of the job!!! </div></div>

I can't take credit for the "We The People" idea. I borrowed that from Paint by Dimensions which I linked to in the OP. He obviously borrowed it from the founding fathers. Great idea though!

Your paint job kicks MUCH ass! Damn that's a great DIY success story. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your work.

F*ckin Wow!!! That is a awesome job man!! And thamks for all the pics of the process, makes me wanna go out and do something..lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great job! Love the bone hand on the grip. </div></div>

Yeah, but that skeleton has a left-handed grip on a right-handed rifle. How is he going to run the bolt?!?

J/K - that paint job is awesome, and worlds' better than what I could pull off with my nonexistent artistic talent. I'm officially jealous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great job! Love the bone hand on the grip. </div></div>

Yeah, but that skeleton has a left-handed grip on a right-handed rifle. How is he going to run the bolt?!?

J/K - that paint job is awesome, and worlds' better than what I could pull off with my nonexistent artistic talent. I'm officially jealous. </div></div>

He will work it the same way I do, with the right hand. Being right handed and left eye dominate makes for confusing long gun shooting. Maybe someday, I have a left handed gun, but as of right now, I'm just happy to have a decent rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 468shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work!

What model airbrush did you use? </div></div>

It's a Badger Patriot. Not the best, but not a complete POS either.

Damn - I'm impressed, great job. How many hours do you have into this?

And how much would you charge for a similar concept? (but not skulls...)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xdguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 468shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work!

What model airbrush did you use? </div></div>

It's a Badger Patriot. Not the best, but not a complete POS either.

</div></div>

Thanks, I've been looking into getting an entry level dual action airbrush. It looks like that one worked pretty well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GT40MkI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn - I'm impressed, great job. How many hours do you have into this?

And how much would you charge for a similar concept? (but not skulls...)

</div></div>

In total, I have more hours in it than I can count. Actual paint time I would estimate 8-9hrs. I think I could do it quicker next time, but the detail work is pretty time consuming(at least for me). Out of curiosity, I would be interested in knowing how long it would take a professional to do a similar design.

I'm just a hobbiest. There are vendors here than can do a better job than I could do for a reasonable price.

Great job! What colors did you use? Kinda hard to tell exactly on my monitor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kewes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great job! What colors did you use? Kinda hard to tell exactly on my monitor. </div></div>

For the base coat, I used ACU Light Tan that was lightened even further with white. For the top coat, I used Desert Brown which was darkened with black. I darkened it even further for the areas where I wanted really deep shadows. I ran tests using different ratios until I found a combination that I liked.

WOW that is just great. I was kinda worried at first but when i saw the airbrushed skulls I was like uhh ohhh I like that. and it just got better the farther down i went. How did you learn to airbrush like that? Thats a sharp looking rifle you got there nice job.

so have you done a lot of airbrush work in the past or first time? that's an amazing job, just trying to get an idea how much skill it takes (sure looks like it takes a skilled hand!)

That is a nice paint job and all other stock work looks nice as well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: upjeeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so have you done a lot of airbrush work in the past or first time? that's an amazing job, just trying to get an idea how much skill it takes (sure looks like it takes a skilled hand!) </div></div>

I had never even held an airbrush prior to this. And if you ask me now, I still can't airbrush. I just practiced the stuff I knew I was going to use on the stock until I could make them look decent and understood why. I also watched a ton of YouTube videos, did a lot of studying of other peoples work and practiced the beginner stuff like dagger strokes and fine lines. Like I said in the OP, I have a background in photography, so I probably see light and shadow a little differently than most. I also painted cars for a few years which helped me a little the with paint mixing, reduction, air pressure etc...

If you are considering doing something like this to save youyself money, then don't bother. If you are like me, and enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of doing something yourself, then it's a fun project.

Awesome job. That seems like a huge project to undertake for a first timer. Your airbrush work gets an A+.

WOW good job it looks cool.

That is badass!! Great job on the whole stock. Makes me want to take an airbrush to my stuff. Only problem is I'd screw all my stuff up.

Dude, I would pay you to do that to mine!!

Holy Santa Claus Shit! That looks amazing! I love doing my own painting, but yours just looks perfect. What stencil burner did you get? I've just been using tape and whatever size stencils I can find. Which most are too big or too small for riflestocks.

You definitely need to flute the bolt to finish it off. Contact me for a deal. Great work by the way. Paul.
cool.gif