• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bedding questions for my M700 5R

nikdanja

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2014
Warrenton Virginia
I ordered my gun and I should have it by thursday and I wanted some opinions on bedding the recoil lug as soon as I get it. As of now I have no intentions of buying an aftermarket stock for this gun so it will be wearing the B&C stock for the lifetime that it is in my possession. Ive done tons of research on what this gun is capable of down range, but if me bedding it will give me a little extra edge, then thats what im going to do. ALso, this is my first "precision" gun so what should I use as a bedding compound. I will be using JB weld to bed my nightforce base if needed so could I use this as well? Thanks!

Torque the stock and shoot it first. Bedding can help, but if not done correctly, can induce issues. As for bedding material, Devcon 10110 is my favorite. Every shooter should keep a tub, its like the duct tape of firearms.

Marinetex and neutral kiwi shoe polish as a release agent works well also. If you plan on ceracoating or some other type of coating on the barreled action, use one or two layers of masking tape on the front(muzzle side) and sides of the lug. It'll make it much easier to install the stock. What sucks is if you have to order marinetex, you might get charged a hazmat fee.

Sent from somewhere deep beneath the earth

I used a glass bedding kit on my 5r and have noticed little if any difference. This could be because i am in no way as good a shooter as most guys on this site, but my rifle consistently shoots .5-.75 moa even with me behind it, this is before and after the bedding job.

J-B Weld will work fine for what you want. I have B&C stocks, and they all shoot better after they are bedded fully. I don't do skim bedding. I would only bed the front end for starters. That is, bed the recoil lug by cutting a few vertical channels on the front of the aluminum bedding block with your Dremel tool, and gouge out some aluminum under the front of the receiver, and bed there too. Just do not gouge out any aluminum right next to the front action screw hole, so that the level of the action in the stock stays the same after it is bedded. Tape off the front of the recoil lug so it's not hard to get out of the stock, but spray release agent everywhere else, including the sides of the recoil lug. You want bedding material contact there to prevent lateral and possibly some rotational movement. Also tape the bottom of the recoil lug, since you don't want a fulcrum for motion due to contact between the bottom of the recoil lug and the bedding/stock.
Jim

I skim bed any aluminum chassis stock - as carefully as they say they machine it, I've seen a fair share of variations. HS Precision, B&C, AI, it don't matter - there is variation. Sometime you get lucky and can bolt and go, but not often enough. My newest AIAC was getting lift of the rear tang when I was tightening the front action screw - not good.

I use Brownells Acraglas Gel, but I'm in the minority. It has the consistency of peanut butter - I've used it for years and am familiar with its nuance.

Brownells aresol spray release agent is the best in my book - it shoots a very fine mist and will get into every little corner. Cleans up easy to.