• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding release agent

gol1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2008
ISRAEL
Good morning

Tried to search for a recommended release agent but could not find one recommended, I have a can of Devcon 10110 and a Remington Seven for the Project can I use Vaseline paste as release agent? if not what is recommended.
Again sorry if it was brought up before.

Thanks

Re: Bedding release agent

Use Kiwi Shoe Polish from walmart and make sure you coat it every where. Even the places you think bedding compound wont get to

there is a long list of stuff used, but kiwi neutral paste seems at the top. unless you want a $25 spray can from brownells. i saw a guy on youtube use white lithium spray, ive heard pam, silicone spray, tons of stuff.

this may help too...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1649065#Post1649065

hey teebasher. thanks for that link. i like the way he coats the action with compound as well as the stock. nice touch.

epoxease is less than 1/3 cost of Brownells and works great.

Used in my last 4 bedding jobs. I use Kiwi when I am out. For the time saved doing several rifles, it is worth every penny.

Kiwi neutal shoe polish paste in a can. Will last for 100's of bedding jobs. Apply it to the whole action, let it dry to a haze, the buff it with paper towel. Never had an action stick!

+1 for Kiwi neutral

I've used it to bed 2 bases with great results

I'll use it to do a couple actions soon.

I normally use Johnsons paste wax, but have been using Hornady One Shot on the last few. I likey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady One Shot has worked fine for me. </div></div>

+1 for the one shot. I usually use Johnsons paste wax and then get inside the receiver and any other hard to reach area with one shot. Release agent is you best buddy!

+1 again for the Kiwi polish. Its nice since you can buy it everywhere. Used it with Devcon for my first bedding job and worked great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Passport223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady One Shot has worked fine for me. </div></div>

+1 for the one shot. I usually use Johnsons paste wax and then get inside the receiver and any other hard to reach area with one shot. Release agent is you best buddy! </div></div>

i've been using the Hornady one shot lately too. cheap and effective while being easy to apply and clean up.

Johnson paste wax and never look back! Ive bedded more than 70 plus rifles and only been through two or three tubs of it. Cheap walmart carb cleaner will take it right off.

I've been using same can of Brownells spray release for 2 years. spray it on and drop it in. no waiting for anything to dry and buff off. doesn't matter to me how much it costs if it makes work quicker/easier so i can get more done, i'll buy it.

EaseRelease200.jpg

Lot's of mentioned items work above very well, but this stuff is what I use. Less mess, easy, never had one stick and I have ran it pretty thin.
A bit hard to come by for the avg joe, but buy a couple cans and you are set for many bed jobs.

Honestly this is probably some of the best "light" mold release I have ever used.

+1 for One Shot. I do not use it anymore for a case lube after too many stuck cases but it works great for a bedding agent.

Kiwi & Johnson's wax seem to be popular with you guys; I've had good results with beeswax. You can get a small jar of it for a couple of bucks in most discount stores' hair care section. Also works great for waterproofing boots. Same consistency as Sno-Seal.

Kiwi shoe polish buffed well, and dont skimp, use it everywhere. I have done many w/ none sticking all with a very good mirror immage of action.

After I finished developing my stock bedding epoxy Pro-Bed 2000 and started selling the kits I needed a good mold release. Since I wanted to buy product in bulk and re-package it I had more options than a normal small user only wanting a few ounces. I buy 25 pound pails of a very high quality mold release and re-package it into 1 pint cans. It is the stuff used when parts costing tens of thousands of dollars must separate easily from a mould Can you imagine trying to pop a formula one race car body panel that has 10 to 12 square feet of surface area out of a mold? Guns are very easy compared to that. Carnauba wax is the main component of all the mold releases and Kiwi and Johnson’s do have that. The main thing is that this stuff was manufactured to be a mold release and transfers the most intricate of details to the epoxy. It resist solvents such as acetone and xylean some times used as a diluent in thin film epoxies so you can’t clean it off with that but paint thinner cleans it off like boiling water melts a sugar glaze. I sell the stuff direct and through MidwayUSA. The Midway part number is 422-015. If you read the reviews you will find that some guy gave me a bad review. Not because it didn’t work but in my instructions I say to give it two coats. I say that in the instructions not because it needs two coats but you are less likely to miss a spot if you give it two coats. One must keep in mind that I have to write instructions that will keep the most novice of users out of trouble. As far as cost goes it is $16.95 for 16 fluid ounces and Kiwi is $3.99 for about a 1 1/8 ounce tin. The guy that wants to bed a few rifles can certainly get good results with Kiwi and you don’t have to order it because it is so widely available. How ever if you are a shop and do bedding on a regular basis I think you will really like this stuff.

I use Quick books to run my business so just did a quick report to see how many stocks we have bedded since we started using this stuff and it was 836.
422015.jpg

Mothers 100% Carnauba Paste Car Wax. No Detergents or Abrasives. One container has lasted me several years.

Works like a charm.

I use Brownells spray release. A little expensive, but it's so much easier than the paste waxes I've tried. Good stuff.

another +1 for Score Hi. Charlie did the research on this and I have bedded several dozen stocks with his epoxy/mold release and it has always been great. You will only care about the cost until you stick your first one and have to get it out.

Someone mentioned bees wax and/or Sno-Seal.

That is exactly what I use....Sno-Seal.
It does nice work on boots, holsters, sheaths, slings....anything leather.
But, it rocks for a release agent
smile.gif

I've been using Brownells spray release foe about seven years. Fast and easy.

sno seal the spray or sno seal the little can that im guessing is a paste like mink oil?

I used pam with mixed results. It came out great one time, and had to force it out on others. I will not use it again.