• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bedding scope base or to mill?

LRT

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
Based on one of my recent previous posts I am hoping to receive member's suggestions about securing tight scope base and scope ring tolerances. Some members suggested that if we run into any tolerance issues with our scope rings that we may want to try bedding the scope base onto the receiver to take out gaps on one of our Remington 700P .308's. I found out that our field service will take digital & physical tolerance measurements of the receiver and scope base. They will then attempt to correct any tolerance inconsistencies by milling & stoning parts before mounting the base. The field service individual said he has never bedded the bases. However my question did arouse his curiosity on the process. He said he will always listen to shooter's experiences and sincerely asked me to pose the question if anyone seemed to have a preference for bedding over milling for correcting tolerance issues? He also said he could do both. May I please ask for forum member feed back on what they tried and feel worked best bedding or milling as a stand alone or combined process?

Additionally I also have question as to the materials used in bedding. Could the bedding materials breakdown over time and reinitiate tolerance inconsistencies?

Thank you for your support.

Best regards,
LRT

The avg shooter can bed a scope base, most are only out a thou or so. Of course the goal is to not flex the action. If someone had the time and precise equipment, the two pieces could be mated perfectly, but how much metal would need to be relieved to accomplish this goal.

A tube of jb weld and some kiwi are only a few bux.

The avg shooter can bed a scope base, most are only out a thou or so. Of course the goal is to not flex the action. If someone had the time and precise equipment, the two pieces could be mated perfectly, but how much metal would need to be relieved to accomplish this goal.

A tube of jb weld and some kiwi are only a few bux.

Thank you for your post.

You bring up a very good question of how much material would need to be removed and I will look into that. Would you know if the JB weld will eventually break down and will need reapplication at some point?

- LRT

Unless the rifle is in a fire JB weld will outlast just about everyone. Never heard of milling to accomplish what bedding will.

OFG

Unless the rifle is in a fire JB weld will outlast just about everyone. Never heard of milling to accomplish what bedding will.

OFG

Thank you for your help on this post and my previous post.

-LRT

I have always bedded the mount. I use JB weld, paste wax and play-doh.

Thanks for the post. May I please ask what the paste wax and play-doh are for? Is one or the other used to protect the mounting screw holes?

-LRT