• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing bedding scope base

silentnswift

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
Kentucky
I am switching my base from a flat base to a 20 moa on my 700 sps. Will bedding the base matter after the scope has already been mounted to it. Will the scope flex back to normal?

You really need to bed the base by itself, then mount the rings and the scope that way you can ensure the rings are mounted perfectly true and square to the base, and you can check ring alignment with a mandrel prior to mounting the scope.

The theme for all this precision rifle stuff is eliminating stress. So like the last poster said, do the base, then the rings and finally the scope.

I bought the rifle with the scope already mounted. Im changing the base to a 20 moa. I just want to make sure the scope is not damaged from being mounted to a unlevel base.

The amount of unevenness that a base and action might exhibit should not be enough to cause any permanent damage to a quality scope.

as well as the fact that your rings might not line up perfect with the new base. the grooves in the rail might not be 100% in the same spot. If you are worried about having to re level and all that what you can do is remove one of the rings and leave one still attached and tight. Then after the bedding sets and you're ready to put it together you just have to put the detached ring in a close to where it goes spot then attach the scope with one ring on it then attach the ring and double check level and bore sight. Saves a little bit of time. Just did this swapping to a 20 MOA but didn't want to have to re level.

Got the base bedded yesterday, let it set up all night. Mounted scope today, hope I'll get a chance to zero everything back in this weekend