• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Bedding the stock on a Savage 12 F T/R???

Grand Poo Bah

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2011
Eugene, OR
hey all,

I just picked up this beauty and am looking for some advice on bedding the stock. It is already triple pillar bedded and I want to do what I can to improve the accuracy.

What type of material or brand would you recommend on a stock stock? Also, does anyone have any first hand knowledge on how far up the bbl I need to go with the bedding compound?

thanks

Re: Bedding the stock on a Savage 12 F T/R???

has anyone heard of this compound?
Miles Gilbert Bedrock Glass Bedding Kit it has great reviews on Midway

Might I inquire what you paid for the rifle? I've been shopping for one so it would be handy to know what you just had to pay.

Thanks

Poo Bah,

Personally, I wouldn't bother bedding it at all unless there's a REALLY good reason to do so. They shoot just fine without it.

Darrell

Lol told ya Poo Bah...check Darrell's stats...I think his opinion holds a "little" weight, ;-)

Darrell's right... a lot of these rifles *do* shoot just fine without bedding.

The catch is, on a few the pillars aren't flush with the wood. In that scenario, you may see some 'crush' of the wood fibers depending on how tight you torque the screws, how often you pull the stock off, and what kind of humidity/temperature swings the gun sees.

A proper bedding job can eliminate those variables - if you gun happens to have 'em. Me personally, I feel better having it bedded anyway - kind of one of those "can't hurt" sort of things.

I don't think there is much benefit in bedding up the barrel channel, though. Fill the slots in the barrel nut w/ clay / play-doh / plumber's putty, give it a couple wraps of tape to give some clearance later and coat it with release agent. I don't generally see a need to bed beyond the barrel nut recess.

Darrel, when I take out the bolts I get a huge amount of movement in the barrel inside the stock. my pillars go to the top of the wood so I'm locking the barrel to the pillars.

Also, what type of Devcon do you recommend, titanium, glass etc?

Devcon 10110 Plastic Steel Putty or Marine-Tex are the two I would use with kiwi neutral shoe polish as the release agent.

Devcon is the preferred compound I believe.

Look in the gunsmithing section there is a great illustrated thread on bedding.

Devcon makes 3 different models, the plastic steel, the stainless steel and the titanium. Which is the perfered product for bedding?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand Pooh Bah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darrel, when I take out the bolts I get a huge amount of movement in the barrel inside the stock. my pillars go to the top of the wood so I'm locking the barrel to the pillars.
</div></div>

I have the same problem,if I tighten the one closest to the trigger guard and then proceed with the others, the barrel is pulled down to where it almost touches the forearm. To me it's has to be binding the action.

Suggest that you shoot it first after breaking in the barrel. Mine two shoot just fine with not needing a bedding job. Get the Savage instructions on torquing the screws and see if this helps even more.

Several at our club shoot Savage's. None are bedded and they all shoot extremely well.

I have personal doubts about the long-term reliability of polymer resin bedding in a wooden stock; based on wood's succeptibility to the environmental elements, and my personal experience with bedding wooden stocked M1A's. For hunting accuracy, I'd go with it. For long term match accuracy, I'd prefer to be using a synthetic stock. My Savage 10FP Action Match Rifle's stock is a McMillan A3 Tacical, factory pillar bedded.

Greg