Gunsmithing Bedding???????

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
Last year I took my savage 7mag to a gunsmith to have glass bedded. It was shooting about 3/4 inch groups before the bedding and 3/4 after bedding. I am now finding that the gun barrel is not free floated also. Before I took the gun back out to the range, I wanted to see what was going on and what kind of job the gunsmith did. I don't see very much that was done, It looks like most of the bedding compound was put down the forarm under the barrel. There is very little bedding compound around the front lug, and none around the back lug, the chamber, or the tang. What do you guys think, the guy charged me 150 bucks to do the job and kept my gun for 7 months.
DSCF1052.jpg

DSCF1051.jpg

Brain

Jr. Asst. Brass Catcher
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Re: Bedding???????

Either communication wasn't clear between you and the smith on the work you were asking for, or the smith didn't do what you thought he was going to do.

Maybe not the best smith, but a helluva businessman if he's getting $150 for that.

AXEMAN

General Nuisance
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
kansas, topeka

isnt that how the old school bedding was done? ive seen a more than a few older take offs like that. cant say about the price, but it seems high and it took a long time

Kells81

Slacker
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 15, 2006
    Granbury TX

Dude that bedding looks like ass! You get that rifle from the kimber custom shop?
    smile.gif
    Look around at Roscoe's tutorial or whatever and do it yourself. Be sure to read over it all real well and you wont have any trouble.

PCR

Sergeant
    Commercial Supporter
    Minuteman
    Oct 28, 2006
    tempe, az

Wow! Looks like acra-gel to me, and I don't know what he was thinking.

rdl65

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Nov 30, 2009
    TN

I think you used the wrong gunsmith.

Longguns

Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2009
    Chattanooga,TN

Would be taking a trip with the stock and have a very SERIOUS conversation with Him!!! Good Luck.

7mmRM

Minuteman
    Jul 2, 2004
    Celestine, Indiana

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jsthntn247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last year I took my savage 7mag to a gunsmith to have glass bedded. It was shooting about 3/4 inch groups before the bedding and 3/4 after bedding. I am now finding that the gun barrel is not free floated also. Before I took the gun back out to the range, I wanted to see what was going on and what kind of job the gunsmith did. I don't see very much that was done, It looks like most of the bedding compound was put down the forarm under the barrel. There is very little bedding compound around the front lug, and none around the back lug, the chamber, or the tang. What do you guys think, the guy charged me 150 bucks to do the job and kept my gun for 7 months.
    DSCF1052.jpg

DSCF1051.jpg

</div></div>

Ouch...

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jun 12, 2006
    NW Louisiana

I'm surprised it's still shooting 3/4" groups. The barrel channel is now in need of some serious work before a proper pillar bedding job can take place.

7 months to turn that around
    shocked.gif

Jim See

Sergeant
    Minuteman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got HOSED!!! </div></div>

That my friend is dead on.

I can't hardly believe that was done by a man in buisness, because he wouldn't last long.

Jrb572

Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Dec 7, 2008
    Missouri

Makes me feel good about my bedding jobs.

Youngjoonni

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 9, 2009
    Sunny SoCal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm surprised it's still shooting 3/4" groups. The barrel channel is now in need of some serious work before a proper pillar bedding job can take place.

7 months to turn that around
    shocked.gif
    </div></div>

+1

He may just have forgotten about it hence the long turn around time.

AXEMAN

General Nuisance
    Minuteman
    Sep 17, 2009
    kansas, topeka

i see stocks just like that all the time on tables at the gunshows. i bet he actually thought thats what you wanted.

Cixelsyd

LUSH
    Minuteman
    May 17, 2004
    W-NC

That's what the older guys around here do with their pencil thin barrels. I think I have a takeoff stock that looks very similar...just cleaner.

CHRIS

HD1911

Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Nov 19, 2009
    KY

wow thats shitty! $150 and 7 months?!?!?

sorry bro..