• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beef

Marinevet1

Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    I live in the Kansas City area, and am looking to buy a 1/2 beef............I know there are some people on this forum that raise cattle..........I have been for years splitting a beef with a guy I know that grew up in Nebraska.........always had good beef, but the last one could have been an old cow..........no fat, tough as hell..........if you raise cattle, and are considering a slaughter, let me know.............I will also need it processed, if you raise and eat what you raise, you know who will do it.............500 mile radius of KC .

Let me know...............thanks

If this is against the rules for the forum..............please let me know..........

Last edited:
    I live in the Kansas City area, and am looking to buy a 1/2 beef............I know there are some people on this forum that raise cattle..........I have been for years splitting a beef with a guy I know that grew up in Nebraska.........always had good beef, but the last one could have been an old cow..........no fat, tough as hell..........if you raise cattle, and are considering a slaughter, let me know.............I will also need it processed, if you raise and eat what you raise, you know who will do it.............500 mile radius of KC .

If this is against the rules for the forum..............please let me know..........
    I am 2hr south of STL and we have a place here that sells grass fed. You can buy half if u want

The 'hanging' of the beef (any game) makes the vast majority of 'toughness' go away. If/When done properly.

For those who shoot/cut/wrap/freeze,,, lotta toughness comes from that, right there. Beef, deer, elk, moose, etc.

Good luck on your quest, Marine. I too would be up for this in my area, which is WAY North of you. Good thread and networking.

The 'hanging' of the beef (any game) makes the vast majority of 'toughness' go away. If/When done properly.

For those who shoot/cut/wrap/freeze,,, lotta toughness comes from that, right there. Beef, deer, elk, moose, etc.

Good luck on your quest, Marine. I too would be up for this in my area, which is WAY North of you. Good thread and networking.
    Is there any way to reduce or prevent the hard outer crust that develops on the exposed tissue ??
    I just hung an elk for 2 weeks and it still wasnt as tender as I was hoping. Nor was I impressed with how much waste there was due to the outer crust layer.

Is there any way to reduce or prevent the hard outer crust that develops on the exposed tissue ??
    I just hung an elk for 2 weeks and it still wasnt as tender as I was hoping. Nor was I impressed with how much waste there was due to the outer crust layer.
    Was it skinned or was the skin still on? Also, what were the day and night temperatures?

Yeah. If it is nice and cold there isn't much crust.

Also, we should just turn this into a snipershide split a beef thread for guys who are co located.
    I would split one in the N Idaho/ Eastern WA area.

When hanging carcass's, (carcai?) both temp and humidity matters. I'm not a cow-ologist, so someone else here with more smarts will give you better specifics.

"dry aging" is a completely different thing. What I'm talking about/referring to, is simply getting through the 'rigor mortis' stage.

For aging, I skin and quarter it immediately. I then wrap each quarter in a plastic bag and put them in coolers of ice for two weeks, letting the water drain and topping the ice when necessary. This keeps the meat just above freezing. They come out damn tender and tasty with no hard crust of wasted meat.

I don’t have a good way to dry age in a temp controlled place so I don’t have enough experience with dry aging to give any advice.

Was it skinned or was the skin still on? Also, what were the day and night temperatures?
    Was skinned.
    hung in a walk in cooler.
    3 degrees constant temp day and night. No idea what the humidity was though. I would assume fairly low due to the evaporator that is part of the cooling system in there though.

Is the object of hanging a kill or slaughter to drain blood and slowly cool the meat . If so is the a temp that is to cold to allow exsanguination ?

You can also wet age your beef as well. Vacuum seal or cryovac the meat, put it in a refrigerator for up to 45 days. Just like dry aging, you want the meat put into something that you are not going to be constantly in and out of. Unlike dry aging though, you don’t have as much waste and it doesn’t get the nutty/ earthy flavor that dry aging imparts on the meat.

Call your local salebarn and see if they can give you a couple names.

We have been putting our elk in coolers deboned covered in ice. As the ice melts it draws the blood out with it. We drain the bloody water and add more ice as needed. We have done this with the last 6 elk or so. It really has improved the taste and not nearly as tough and we really don't loose any meat at all due to hanging.
    This is a pic of some hamburger that came from the last bull.

Attachments

• 20211002_161412.jpg
      20211002_161412.jpg
      648.5 KB · Views: 33

You literally missed the steer sale in your city last night. American Royal had it's sale last night of fattened beef. However as I think about it.....I don't know if it is a terminal sale anymore. It may just be a premium sale.

I was just looking... Half of cow is running around $1450 here in N Texas.

You want to find a rancher ir breeder who has a "problem cow" . You can often get good deals if you are willing to show up with a truck and a .22 and take it whole. Normally the farm will load with just Kubota. You have to butcher yourself. It isn't hard.

Reactions: NoDopes
    A lady up the street (30 min North of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho) raises Bison for meat if any of yall are interested.

My mom and dad are between OKC and Tulsa. I’m not sure what they have available but I know they’ve got a few to finish this year and kill dates at the butcher. It’s about 300mi from KC. PM if interested.
    They are grain finished black angus. Best beef I’ve ever had. Going on 20 years now.

ETA: Dad said he might have a half available. Kill date is in February.

Last edited: