• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Before and after camo job

rubiconscott

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
I hate black rifles so I attacked my REM 700 AAC SD SPS tactical with some Krylon today...
I like the A-TACS pattern but I don't want to wait for 4 weeks to have it wrapped. (I had my 870 tactical wrapped in A-TACS and I love it) I wanted to do it my self so I can change the colors and pattern depending on the terrain and season.
I used the colors from the German Army's desert flektarn and the basic pattern of the A-TACS to make my own camo...
camo-stairs.gif

before
usr-9.gif

after
camo-after.gif

camo-4.gif

camo-3.gif

Re: Before and after camo job

It looks really good!

That last picture really shows the good job you did matching the colors up.

That's a well painted rifle. And...
You didn't have to wait 4 weeks.. That's awesome!

Really nice job. I've got a couple ugly guns I've been wanting to paint but I worry that I'll just make them uglier. By the time I get it right, I'm liable to have an inch of paint on them.

I wasn't completely happy with it so I added 2 more colors to give it more depth...
new-camo-woods-2.gif

new-camo-woods.gif

new-camo-woods-4.gif

new-camo-stairs.gif

Great job. Blends in with urban and woodlad. Technique please?

Looks awesome man. What brake do you have on there ?

Thanks for the feed back!
I have a JP Enterprises break...

TrapperJ:
I took the gun apart, masked everything off and started with a base coat of Krylon ultra flat Khaki.

paint-job-6.gif

I went to the craft store and bought some natural sponges and the following paint
• Flat Khaki
• Flat Dark Brown
• Flat Dark Olive
• Flat Earth Brown
• Flat Light woodland green
• Satin Dark Taupe
(Don't forget the MTN Dew)
I just sprayed the paint on a piece of cardboard like a pallet and dipped the sponge in the paint. Then I patted the part I was painting with the sponge.
paint-job-5.gif

paint-job-1.gif

paint-job-2.gif

paint-job-3.gif

I waited for each color to dry before adding the next layer.
camo-stock.gif

With the gun back together I added more to visually tie the parts into each other.

new-camo-close-up.gif

Then I used a matte finish clear coat to sort of seal the paint.

Man, that looks great and very effective. Thanks for the write-up on how you did it. I've been trying to work up the nerve to paint my rifle, since I like ugly. Hopefully soon...

Big Gulp
I've got my 204 boxed up. Where do I send it & how much do you charge.
Nice work...

I bet if you started doing these you could quit your present job & have your own business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VaFarmer2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Big Gulp
I've got my 204 boxed up. Where do I send it & how much do you charge.
Nice work...

I bet if you started doing these you could quit your present job & have your own business.
</div></div>

LOL
Hows $75 sound?!?

Awesome that looks gear bro! Your rifle came out looking amazing. I think I'll have to bust out my kids nerf gun to give it a shot before hitting my rifle. Once again nice job!

There is no rifle in the "after" picture. Are you sure it's there?

Some body needs to send me their rifle so I can try a different color scheme...
I had fun painting mine. I fell like I need to camo everything now. I need a new project or I might just camo my wifes Jeep to get it out of my system.

Like the cammo job

You better check into getting an FFL license before you start accepting guns to paint , otherwise all you will be painting are license plates! HA! FWIW

Very nice! Easy and effective!

Good Job!! How long did that take you to complete it? How much did you spend in materials?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the cammo job

You better check into getting an FFL license before you start accepting guns to paint , otherwise all you will be painting are license plates! HA! FWIW </div></div>

HAHA
I do want a FFL, I guess this is a good reason to get one other than I can order guns direct.
I took me 2 nights just poking away at it. I would say 2 days is good for the paint to cure.
I spent about $30-40 in paint. I used 1 1/2 cans of khaki but I still have a lot of the other colors left. What ever your base color is will be sprayed on and the rest sponged on.

How very bold of you! It looks great!! I know I would just screw mine up! I also color blind so I just might loose it! Haha

Did you paint over the turrets or tape them up? I don't see any marking on the scope.

i painted over them and then scraped off the paint where the reference marks are. I can still see some of the lines through the paint...

you have bigger balls than me my friend! looks good!

I sure wish I would have seen this thread before I painted my rifle last night. Looks sweet!!

That looks great. Love the sponge paint. Did my Savage 22 last year and will do my 700 this year. Just waiting on the scope.

Charlie