• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Before and After for Furtaker

Short-bus

customguncoatings.com
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Smithville, MO
www.customguncoatings.com
This stock was a repair/restoration of a Mcmillan for Furtaker on here. He asked me to fix the damage to the stock from the previous paint job where the stock was heated too hot to cure the cerakote, and caused the stock to split in a couple spots. After that was complete, he requested one of my camo finishes to be applied. Heat cure cerakote on a stock is a bad idea UNLESS you have a oven good enough to precisely manage the temperature to ensure that you can keep the stock warm enough to cure, but not so hot that you'll damage the stock.

There was overspray on all the hardware, the bedding was painted (BAD, BAD thing to do), the paint was applied ridiculously thick, and the edges were so sharp between the different layers, I couldn't believe that no effort was taken to remove them.

I basically removed all the old finish down to the original molded in finish of the stock, and then filled in any holes, chips, unevenness in areas, repaired the cracks, and then coated the stock with it's final paint job. There are no edges between layers of paint that you can feel. I blasted, and recoated the visible cheek hardware pieces in Black cerakote.

On the bedding, unfortunately there is nothing that I can do. The only way to restore the bedding, is to remove it, and redo it. If I try to sand the finish out, I will cause high/low spots, which will destroy the ideally perfect fit of the action to the stock.

Fur, i'm looking forward to seeing your reaction to the stock in person when I see you on Friday!

Branden

Re: Before and After for Furtaker

looks sweet man. would acetone take off the paint on the bedding?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks sweet man. would acetone take off the paint on the bedding? </div></div> No, it's cerakote. Only thing that'll take it off is elbow grease, or an act of god.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Short-bus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks sweet man. would acetone take off the paint on the bedding? </div></div> No, it's cerakote. Only thing that'll take it off is elbow grease, or an act of god.

Branden </div></div>

When you mean "Elbow Grease" what are you using? I'm sure sandpaper, but what grit, and if so, how many stages of grit. I'm just curious in how tough ceracoat is. Thanks

On another note, awesome job as usual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helen Keller 02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice crotch shot... </div></div>??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Short-bus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks sweet man. would acetone take off the paint on the bedding? </div></div> No, it's cerakote. Only thing that'll take it off is elbow grease, or an act of god.

Branden </div></div>

When you mean "Elbow Grease" what are you using? I'm sure sandpaper, but what grit, and if so, how many stages of grit. I'm just curious in how tough ceracoat is. Thanks

On another note, awesome job as usual. </div></div>

I wouldn't sand on bedding at all, if it had to be cleaned up, it would be best to remove it, and rebed the stock all together.

As far as the rest of the stock, combination of 220grit, and 320 for finishing, gotta wet sand. If you tried to dry sand, it would take you a WHOLE lotta sandpaper to finish it as you would clog it up quick.

Branden

^^^^WOW^^^^^ I bet that was major time consuming. End result......It looks awesome. Great job! Thanks for the info.

I did blast the textured areas, I didn't want to sand off the texture to get the cerakote off. Blasting can jack a stock up quick if done wrong.

Branden

This looks WAY better in person. All I can say is WOW...... This looks like it was dipped. You cannot feel any lines in the pattern.

Thanks for the killer job