• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Before sending my new Viper PST 6-24 FFP back to manufacturer

apf383

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2013
I need to ask a question. When I tried to mount it to my Rem 700 AAC-SD this was my series of events. Working on level kitchen table, rifle level, Ken Farrell base level to rifle, Badger Ordinance Max-50's level to rail. Drop in scope, bubble level on top of turret reads level, I think I'm gtg. Eyeball through scope, seems reticle is slightly rotated ccw in tube. Repeated a few times, always the same result. If I eyeball the reticle to waht seems level, bubble level indicated way off. I even used a spacer between the top of the rail, and the bottom flat part of the scope, sort of as a feeler gauge, same result. Vortex sending me a call tag for replacement, but I wanted your guys thoughts first. Thanks, and Happy New Year to all.

I need to ask a question. When I tried to mount it to my Rem 700 AAC-SD this was my series of events. Working on level kitchen table, rifle level, Ken Farrell base level to rifle, Badger Ordinance Max-50's level to rail. Drop in scope, bubble level on top of turret reads level, I think I'm gtg. Eyeball through scope, seems reticle is slightly rotated ccw in tube. Repeated a few times, always the same result. If I eyeball the reticle to waht seems level, bubble level indicated way off. I even used a spacer between the top of the rail, and the bottom flat part of the scope, sort of as a feeler gauge, same result. Vortex sending me a call tag for replacement, but I wanted your guys thoughts first. Thanks, and Happy New Year to all.

If Vortex is sending you a call tag for replacement, it sounds like your problem is solved. I don't use bubble levels to mount a scope, I use feeler gauges. To what degree is the reticle canted? Do you have pictures?

Thanks for the quick reply GP. I don't have pix as I've broken everything down and packed up scope. I was just wondering if I overlooked anything. Not my first time setting up optics, so I expected to look through glass after the leveling everything process to see it set up perfectly. I believe my method is sound, and I'm using all quality components, so it's got the be the glass, right?

If everything truly is level except the reticle, then I would have to say it's the scope or the installation thereof. It's impossible to say without seeing it. I have a 6-24x50 PST and noticed the first time I put it in the rings and thought it was level, I had actually pressed the feeler gauges partially against the underside of the windage turret when I was leveling the scope, and the scope was very slightly crooked. I remounted and was more careful the second time, and it was perfect.

Reticles can be crooked within the scope, and if it is I'm sure Vortex will take care of you no problem.

I just mounted a NF on my .308. Did everything you did, when I was done leveling everything I looked through the scope and it looks like the reticle is canted CCW also. I was in a bit of a panic. Went to my sons house the next day and mounted his PR on his rifle and it looked the same way!!!! We put a laser level on a wall at the other end of his house and looked through the scope and low and behold the reticle was perfectly level with the laser level. This gave me the thought that the reason it looks canted is because we look at it with our heads canted. When I move my head way back and look through the scope with both eyes open the reticle looks level,when I hold the rifle right handed, the reticle looks like it's off CCW, when I hold it left handed it looks to be off CW. Shot the rifle for the past two days and didn't have any issues. The rifle is level, the scope is level, the reticle is level (with the world). Maybe it just appears to not be level to our crooked heads. I really doubt that my NF, my sons PR, and maybe even your Vortex are all screwed up. Very interesting topic, would love to hear some of the experts here weigh in.

A300fe1. I tried moving back from it and peering through the glass from behind the butt, but couldn't because of the eye relief I guess. I am not completely against the idea that it's me who's just seeing it wrong, like you did, but don't really want to take a chance, if that makes any sense.

Hang a plumb bob or a rope with a weight at the end so that it hangs straight down with gravity 25 to 100 yards out then get your rifle positioned as level as you prefer then tighten down your scope making sure your vertical in the reticle runs true with your plumb bob. At this point if all is good you can mount a bubble that indicates you are level when your reticle is lined up with your plumb bob.

Some folks will have a permanent reference line on a wall that is level with gravity as well.
Square up the gun
Square the reticle
Tighten down
Mount a bubble
When all lines up you’re done

Cheers
oneshot.onehit

Makes sense to me, it's been driving me kinda crazy wondering if it's my reticle or me. The only thing that made me feel better is when I saw that the reticle was level as compared to a laser level on the wall. I wish I knew the answer. Please let us know what Vortex says when you send the scope to them.

I had a Razor with a canted reticle, it happens.

Oneshot. Thanks for the info. I should have hung a plumb line before packing everything up. As far as all the other advice, its a bit tough to do as my outdoor range is a quite a way from my house and I live in a condo, so I cant really go into the back yard to set up. Well, I guess I can, but am certain it would arouse lots of attention and a visit from the local LEO's.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ve-way-leveling-scopes-when-mounted-pics.html

Thanks elfster. I just saw that thread floating around. Wish I tried that earlier. Today I dropped scope off the FedEx, so it's Vortex issue now.

Just a follow up. New glass arrived today. Different SN so they replaced the original. No notation as to the condition or determination of reticle problem described to them when I sent my first scope back. Oh well, thanks Vortex!!!

Just a follow up. New glass arrived today. Different SN so they replaced the original. No notation as to the condition or determination of reticle problem described to them when I sent my first scope back. Oh well, thanks Vortex!!!

How does the reticle in your new one look? I ask because I too sent my pst ffp 6-24 back and about a week later mine came back with a work order that said it was repaired. At best it's not as bad! But it is still canted to the left! The turrets track true but holdovers are way off. I wish i researched their scopes a little better because this seems to be a ongoing issue with Vortex!

I found a note in the box stating that the reticle was canted, but still within spec. Cant imagine how that can be, but whatever. The new scope seems much better, but due to my work (home heating oil) I have not had time to get to range to field it. Good luck with yours though.

I found a note in the box stating that the reticle was canted, but still within spec. Cant imagine how that can be, but whatever. The new scope seems much better, but due to my work (home heating oil) I have not had time to get to range to field it. Good luck with yours though.

Wow that's too bad! Any amount of can't you can see just by eyeballing it is too much in my opinion. Maybe the customer service is slipping now too. I'll try sending mine back again and see what happens!

This thread is an unhappy finding as I just ordered one of these scopes today.

Fingers crossed.

Unless one really, really needs the illumination on the Vortex PST, I'd recommend getting the Sightron SIII 6x24 FFP instead. Great glass and same price range and I've not yet heard about any issues with them.

Unless one really, really needs the illumination on the Vortex PST, I'd recommend getting the Sightron SIII 6x24 FFP instead. Great glass and same price range and I've not yet heard about any issues with them.

I have never heard anything negative about the sIII's. As a matter of fact everything I hear makes them sound like for their price point you can't go wrong. I've never owned a sightron but I think that will change soon

I own a new Sightron SIII ffp and love it, so I'm a bit biased.

I won't pretend nor claim that they are as good as Nightforce or other premium glass, as they are not at that level. But they don't claim to be either. It's just that at that price point there are roughly three choices currently (until Burris proves out their new line) and each has their place.

This thread is an unhappy finding as I just ordered one of these scopes today.

Fingers crossed.

You will do fine, this is a very good scope and with 1000s heading out the door a few may surface with issues which are taken care of. For the most part the majority of the problems are not of the scope when the issues are resolved.

cheers

I have 3 slll 8-32 they all have better glass then my nf5.5-22. No they aren't anywhere as tough as my nf, but for pdogging,br, and fclass they are tough enough. I do not own vortex anymore, after sending multiple pst back for reticle cant, shift, poi change, tracking, and lube on internal lenses i am done. Several scopes had to make multiple trips back to get fixed. The razor i had was pretty good, but the illumination worked about as good and as long as a bsa.

Between myself and one of my main shooting buddies, we own 4 Vortex scopes. 2 PSTs, HS-LR and HS-T. All great scopes. One of the PSTs had to be sent to Vortex to be cleaned but otherwise they have all been perfect. The Sightrons are nice too, but I think there is a reason you see so many Vortex when you look through the pic threads on here...

I was just installing a PST2.5x10 and had the same CCW cant. I shouldered with my left shoulder/left eye and it is canted the opposite direction. I am pretty sure that it is just the cant of my head.

I was just installing a PST2.5x10 and had the same CCW cant. I shouldered with my left shoulder/left eye and it is canted the opposite direction. I am pretty sure that it is just the cant of my head.

Yeah, perfectly level (confirmed by plumb line, etc) reticles always appear canted to me, but opposite direction depending on which side I shoulder the rifle -- I think it is an optical illusion that happens because our heads are generally canted somewhat when we shoulder a rifle... I do feeler gauge method, confirm with levels/plumb line, and ignore my imperfect human perception :)

I had a canted reticle once on a new NF (don't shoot with optics much). So I went to the eye dr and had my script changed.

There are more people with an astigmatism (and don't know it) than with canted reticles.

I remounted and leveled my PST 4-16 FFP 3 times with the exact ccw tilt that you described. Very slight, but it definitely seemed tilted. I leveled it the third time in a vice with the gun leveled and by using playing cards under the scope body until I though it was perfect but still it seemed tilted. So without moving the rifle from the vice, I hung a plum line and strange enough it was right on. I chalked it up as an optical illusion like mattj said.