• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

beginner .22LR?

gebhardt02

Captain, Retired
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2006
MT
www.zcompoptic.com
I have a niece and nephew that may be interested in beginning competition. Their family probably isn't going to spend a lot of money for a custom built match rifle. I'm trying to fiind out what rifle they could get the kids into for not a ton of money. I've seen the Savage rimfires with plastic stocks and peep sights. Any other makes out there I should check into?

I've also seen the link on 6mmbr for the rimfire sporter matches that the kids may be interested in and wouldn't need any special equipment. Mostly I'm just looking for a decent rimfire rifle, bolt action, peep sights, that would give decent performance, and not break the bank.

I do have a CZ 452 but it is scoped right now. Does anybody know of peeps that can be fit to this action and front globe that can replace the front blade? Thank you.

Geb

Re: beginner .22LR?

i would see what williams sights have to offer. i just ordered the savage with the peep sights to practice with in the winter for my service rifle. ill have an opinion on it in a few wks

I'm pretty sure Williams makes peeps for the CZs as many people who own CZ 452 Ultraluxes and Trainers put them on it. Go to the Rimfire Central website under CZ/Bruno and do a search. Plenty of information available there.

One Holer

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check out the Williams and rimfire central web sites. Much appreciated.

Geb

you might wanna check the cmp, they have great deals on rimfires from time to time.

The Savages with <span style="font-style: italic">adjustable</span> peep sights are the MKI FVT and the MKII FVT, depending on whether you want a single shot (MKI) or repeater (MKII). They run just over $400 list, and come with the conventional MKI/II plastic stock.

If notch/blade iron sights are sufficient for your needs, the Stevens 300 repeater is a bargain at just under $200 list. It lacks the Accutrigger, which is nice but not a must, and is otherwise pretty much the same as the MKII-F. My elderly MKII-F is pretty much identical to it; and is my basic, favorite rimfire trainer rifle.

The FVT barrels are heavier than sporter weight. I don't know if that's all that important, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt.

In all reapects I consider them to be the equal of my Gov't Issue Mossberg Model 44; which I like a lot, but which has also become a collector's item. It, by the way, has a sporter weight barrel and works quite fine.

Greg

They were talking about potentially getting into competition, so I have been looking into the peeps. The parents may check out the savage line of rifles with peeps, that was my recommendation to them anyway. I was also trying to find a set of peeps for my little CZ as another rifle they could possibly use. It is my plan to teach them use of irons at first to reinforce sight alignment as well as all the basics, then progress them to scopes. I know I don't have to do things in this order, but it is how I learned so therefore what I would like to start the kids with. I appreciate all the suggestions thus far, thank you.

Geb

I like your reasoning concerning timing and priorities associated with irons and scopes; it parallels the approach we used in our Youth Marksmanship program.

I looked into Weaver bases and adjustable rear peeps that mount on them, but by the time all the costs are factored in, the Savage rifles either break even or beat them, and are probably a better solution as well.

Greg