• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beginner Bolt-er Inquiry

jkwings11

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2023
Florida
Hey folks -

I'm one of those guys who has some decent guns and loves to shoot but doesn't know the deep ins and outs of stuff. I apologize for my ignorance and appreciate your patience as I ask probably many dumb questions.

I am trying to be better about this and learn. I've recently fell in for bolt guns. I'm still trying to learn the basic ins and outs of actions and bolt sizes (pointers to easy literature welcome) like understanding action sizes and why some overlap on large and small, mag block on conversions, etc etc.

And then I saw a CSR. Search led me to RACS. m2010. PSR. Then got heartbroken to realize these are impossible to get typically and will need to be patient and search high waters for them.

Meanwhile though, I'd like to build something and learn to appreciate it more. As I look to buy one of the above down the road, I'd like to start by building out a lookalike through Cadex Chassis and learn. I have a few long bolt guns and bigger calibers and would like to focus more on 223 or 308 in a short configuration like 16.5".

I looked at getting a Rem700 Cadex chassis and cheaply putting in like a SPS 223 in it. Or even Christensen?

Then fooled around with idea of Tikka T3 in a Cadex but failed to find a chassis specifically in my choice of color and style for Tikka instead of Rem 700.

Then went down a rabbit hole with defiance and confused myself.

All that being said, would love some thoughts on my journey and advice/tip from you professionals.

Thank you :)

If you have some decent(expensive?) guns, I would assume money is not a problem for you?
If that's the case, still, define a budget for your bolt gun first, then define what would you use the rifle for.
The decide whether you will be doing reloading or not, because this is critical for caliber selection of you decide to go with factory instead of custom.

It sounds like you want to build the rifle or at least you use it as a learning opportunity. Before spend the money, go to your local club or search for any PRS/NRL/F-Class/Benchrest match near by, go to a few different ones and see what people use, talk to them because that's easier when it is face to face and find out what exactly you want.

Rem700 or clone has lots of options in terms of parts/chassis/accessories, unless you specifically like Cadex chassis, maybe have a look what MDT/MPA/Accuracy International etc. If you like stock instead of chassis, Manners/Foundation and others they are making good ones.

Tikka T3X is a budget option to start with, it's good, but in the long run it would be limited to Tikka's action size if you want a heavy(larger diameter) barrel, so personally I would get a custom Rem700 Clone action for now, e.g. Impact/Definance/Terminus etc. and put it on any chassis with a Rem700(clone) foot print to start with.

Reactions: jkwings11
I got to play with one of the first CSR prototypes ever produced at a class being taught by a former unit guy and SOTIC instructor and his explanation of it was fairly simple and elegant in its execution. Basically get a folding chassis of your choice and an action with an integral recoil lug. Have all of your barrels machined with wrench flats right behind the muzzle threads and you are gtg with field expedient barrel swaps. There are several one piece scope mount options out now but Pete was using a LaRue throw lever mount and said it was very repeatable if mounted consistently every time, he said that their equipment took a lot of abuse in transport so he packed the action/chassis separately from the barrel and scope. You probably won’t be transporting your shit like they do but that’s the basic idea behind the CSR platform.

I am new here, I asked some guys in here how to fix my 770. Lol a year later I have taken their advice. Sold it and bought a 700. I'm in need of some more local wisdom. I just ordered a "Remington 700 SPS 7mm-08 Rem, 24" Barrel, Matte Blued Finish, Synthetic Stock, 3rd "
I need to figure out if I have an SA/ or an LA. 7mm is listed on both sides. Please help me understand.

I am new here, I asked some guys in here how to fix my 770. Lol a year later I have taken their advice. Sold it and bought a 700. I'm in need of some more local wisdom. I just ordered a "Remington 700 SPS 7mm-08 Rem, 24" Barrel, Matte Blued Finish, Synthetic Stock, 3rd "
I need to figure out if I have an SA/ or an LA. 7mm is listed on both sides. Please help me understand.
7mm-08 is short action. It's a great cartridge, but not a lot of options for factory ammo for long range target shooting. If you are just going to swap the barrel then the action will work for any short action, .308 bolt face (.470) cartridge, like .308 win, 6.5 Creedmore etc. etc.

Reactions: MajorStormKPP
I would call LRI and let them spec something out for you. They do incredible work and can make you a rifle that fits your needs in any sort of chassis you want. I highly recommend giving them a call. Or you can go the more traditional route; military M24 look a like and do a Tac Ops, probably the best 308s on the market, shoot in the .1s or better with factory ammo. You pay for it, but they are incredible and would serve you a lifetime.

Hey folks -

I'm one of those guys who has some decent guns and loves to shoot but doesn't know the deep ins and outs of stuff. I apologize for my ignorance and appreciate your patience as I ask probably many dumb questions.

I am trying to be better about this and learn. I've recently fell in for bolt guns. I'm still trying to learn the basic ins and outs of actions and bolt sizes (pointers to easy literature welcome) like understanding action sizes and why some overlap on large and small, mag block on conversions, etc etc.

And then I saw a CSR. Search led me to RACS. m2010. PSR. Then got heartbroken to realize these are impossible to get typically and will need to be patient and search high waters for them.

Meanwhile though, I'd like to build something and learn to appreciate it more. As I look to buy one of the above down the road, I'd like to start by building out a lookalike through Cadex Chassis and learn. I have a few long bolt guns and bigger calibers and would like to focus more on 223 or 308 in a short configuration like 16.5".

I looked at getting a Rem700 Cadex chassis and cheaply putting in like a SPS 223 in it. Or even Christensen?

Then fooled around with idea of Tikka T3 in a Cadex but failed to find a chassis specifically in my choice of color and style for Tikka instead of Rem 700.

Then went down a rabbit hole with defiance and confused myself.

All that being said, would love some thoughts on my journey and advice/tip from you professionals.

Thank you :)

I was in a similar situation. Knew I wanted a coyote hunting bolt gun. Didn't know shit about bolt guns. Hung around on this foru. For months and months. Decided building my own was the best route. Spent months and months more researching and figuring out what I actually wanted. Ended up with a badass bolt gun, which is 100x easier to assemble than an AR. I highly recommend building your own.

Reactions: Dirty D
i went with the 700 sps becuz I had been told repeatedly that the 700 is a great rifle, I saw one within my budget. I'm trying to figure out which chassis would be best. Using the sale of my 770 I'm hoping to find a chassis that is drop in user friendly. Something under $500 that works with my 7mm -8
I'm not one of those guys that has to have a brand names. If it works & fits in the budget matters more than bragging rights. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks everyone
7mm-08 is short action. It's a great cartridge, but not a lot of options for factory ammo for long range target shooting. If you are just going to swap the barrel then the action will work for any short action, .308 bolt face (.470) cartridge, like .308 win, 6.5 Creedmore etc. etc.