• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beginner looking for information and advice

shadowsk

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Upstate SC
Hi, I've shot for years mainly at my home range (100-300 yards) and am interested in maybe entering a competition some time over the summer. Could someone explain how it works (format, distances, time, rules, amount of ammo needed, etc.) And also maybe recommend a "beginner friendly" event. I will be shooting my Rem 700 308 if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Hi, I've shot for years mainly at my home range (100-300 yards) and am interested in maybe entering a competition some time over the summer. Could someone explain how it works (format, distances, time, rules, amount of ammo needed, etc.) And also maybe recommend a "beginner friendly" event. I will be shooting my Rem 700 308 if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Best thing would be to go to one locally, and get a feel for how it is run.
Tough to tell you what to prep for, since many matches do not conform to common shooting stages.

Not sure what you have in Upstate SC, but Woody's is in Central NC >Click Here<

I've meet them at Bangsteel events here in SW Va., and they seem like great folks.

Good Luck

It may be broad and generic but you could loook into NRA High Power Matches. To my knowledge, they generally have matches in all (or at least most) states and the rules seem pretty standardized. I haven't gotten to a point where I can reasonably compete just yet so I don't have personal experience with NRA-HP matches. I figured it'd be a good place to start your search. Hope it helps.

http://compete.nra.org/how-to-get-started/high-power-rifle-competition.aspx

Here are a few things you might want to make sure you have:

Rifle capable of 1moa accuracy or better.
Scope with a ranging reticle
Dope code with come-ups and wind corrections
Weather station (kestrel)
Bipod
Sling

In terms of prep, you need to be ready for anything. Match Directors generally like to be diabolical and come up with stages that no one has seen before. Most shooting stages have a stresser, whether it's making you run to elevate your heart rate or an unachievable amount of time to make you rush.

Steve's advice is solid - find a local match near you and go watch. Observe the match and talk to participants. Everyone approaches these things differently.

Team Havoc will be providing a day long training for competition match shooting and tactical shooting. Training will be held on July 12, 2014 at the SW Virginia Bangsteel training grounds, if you need further info, just let me know. Thanks, James

I appreciate all the suggestions. I will look into them. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk