• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beginner Rifle Recommendation: .50 Barrett??!!

dvajda

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2008
I thought this was pretty funny. I live in MA, and on another forum for New England, a user asked for a recommendation for a rifle since he wanted to get into precision shooting at longer ranges. By that he meant 100 yards to 300 yards, which is pretty much the most distance you can find around here. There are only a few ranges that go to 500 or 600 yards, so he wanted to start at 100 and work his way to 300, and then perhaps beyond if possible. Anyway, he asked about Remingtons and Savages in .308, and guys responded saying those were good rifles, and which particular model he might like.

Then one guy responded recommending that a .50 Barrett was what he might need.

So I responded that that was not what he would need, due to extra costs (ammo hard to get here) and just added recoil/noise making it harder to work on fundamentals. Well, a "discussion" ensued, in which that recommended said .50 was actually great for a beginner, and shoots to 500 yards "out of the box" (whatever that means) and is quite accurate. He then called me a FUDD for not liking the .50.

Am I not taking my retard pills or something? What the heck is wrong people making these types recommendations? I mean, a .50 for a beginner at 100 to 300 yards?! I wouldn't have even recommended .338 to the guy since he was just getting started and no need to spend all that extra money on ammo, instead .308 is cheaper so he can practice more.

Was I wrong to practically get a nose bleed from that recommendation?

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/154416-Long-Range-Rifle-Question

Re: Beginner Rifle Recommendation: .50 Barrett??!!

you were wrong.... a 50bmg is the best precision rifle made... the SEAL Delta Ranger Snipers use it after all...damn man, what are you retarded?

actually I'd have recommended a 223

Any bleeding from the nose or ears was perfectly waranted. In the military the Barrett is zeroed at 300 yards (not to mention typically only holds 2-3 moa on a good day) . A remington or savage in .308 would be perfect and leave the option of pushing farther in the future.

Another case of a glorified wanna be long distance shooter with more money than skill that hasn't proven themselves in competition. Who in their right mind would ever recommend a 50 to a new shooter, even a 308 to someone that has never shot before might be intimidating. At least a few on there tried to steer the OP towards something like a 223 on a Savage. Guess there are a few on every site.

Topstrap

Agreed, it was absolutely ridiculous.

But "it's fun and precise", that's all a new shooter needs!! Well, that and some Spin-D. I'm printing those comments out.

The answer is very simple. The guy recommending a 50 BMG to a beginner for shooting 300 yds is an idiot. You are wasting you're time having a discussion with him.

Lmao...,”keyboard sniper” I'm a beginner with long range shooting and my 308 works perfect for 300m.. I'll never need to shoot further.

Folks just getting into shooting have perspectives about it all based on their observations, like the stuff they've seen on TV. Their perceptions are so distorted as to be comical, such as 300 yards being in LR territory. But, after all, it's their money and so what if they've got it all wrong, who cares. If these folks are having a good time who am I to say they're doing it wrong.

I see folks every day with "sniper rifles" shooting from the bench with bipod support without appearing to have any comprehension for anything important to good shooting; yet, in their fantasy they're having a very good time, so until these folks actually express an interest in learning something about good shooting I'm not going to tell em anything unless it concerns safety.

223 or 308. Don't even waste your time arguing with somebody recommending 50. Getting trigger time is the most important thing for a new shooter, and the recoil and price of ammo just doesn't make any sense- Especially to 300m. "Keyboard Sniper" indeed.
B.W.

Some people put that winky smiley face at the end of a post to indicate "sarcasm" or "it's a joke".

I'd recommend a 22 for practice inside of 300. Cheap way to work the skills.

I like the guy who said you cant shoot a out of the box 308 to 1000 yards. Dont even want to tell him how far I shot my bone stock 5r.

These are the people I deal with when living in MA. Trust me, it hurts to go to the range up here.

I've run into a couple of these guys at the range I frequent... Listening to their conversations is like rubbing your forehead with a cheese grater...

i love the guy that posted " buy a bsa or a tasco, so that when u miss you can blame it on the scope" haha lmao fucking idiots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LittleViktor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OMG, this other thread is even better! Guy just bought a .50 and is hoping to spend "$500" on a scope for it. I SHIT YOU NOT.

Not to mention, he doesn't actually belong to a range with 500 or 600 yards, hahahaha.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbullet...-Recommendation </div></div>

Oh lord. Maybe instead of making fun of him you should attempt to steer him in the right direction.

I did. Check it out. The posts speak for themselves.

One of my good friends brought a buddy home from college over Christmas break because they wanted to do some shooting. This buddy of his had never even handled a .22LR and told me he wanted to buy his own rifle. He had done some research and told me that he wanted the best caliber "in the world". I asked what that caliber was and he told me .338Lapua and .408Cheytac. I told him they were great rounds, but not for PA.

He insisted he needed one and that the 110BA was the perfect rifle. I tried to convince him that a .308 would do everything he needed in "long range shooting" (He wanted to his steel at 200 yards..) He disregarded what I said and we went to the gun store. Of course, by chance, they had a 110BA in .338Lapua. He didn't even look at the other rifles, he just pointed at it and said he wanted it. He paid half cash/half credit card because his Mom would pay for the balance (even though she gave him the cash.) He then started to look at scopes and thought that a $40 Tasco would work for it..

I put my foot down and said if he could drop $1900 out of whim on a rifle he was getting a scope that was qualified. I got him to get a VXIII 8.5-25x50. He then bought a box of Hornady ammo ($80) and we went to shoot at my 200 yard range..

He was appalled when my .308 was hitting the same steel as his .338Lapua. I then informed him the ammo cost about 1/5th of what his did.. He shot 20 rounds that day...I shot 100. He was pissed and hasn't bought ammo for it since.

The thing is, that kinda happens. I bought a lot of dumb handguns when I was new to shooting, and my share of dumb rifles (I got a Springfield SOCOM2 and sunk TONS of money into it, then eventually sold it since it just wasn't accurate).

You try to advise people so they don't do the same dumb stuff that you did, but sometimes, they don't take the advice. What I hate is when people give BAD advise to beginners.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iShoot17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my good friends brought a buddy home from college over Christmas break because they wanted to do some shooting. This buddy of his had never even handled a .22LR and told me he wanted to buy his own rifle. He had done some research and told me that he wanted the best caliber "in the world". I asked what that caliber was and he told me .338Lapua and .408Cheytac. I told him they were great rounds, but not for PA.

He insisted he needed one and that the 110BA was the perfect rifle. I tried to convince him that a .308 would do everything he needed in "long range shooting" (He wanted to his steel at 200 yards..) He disregarded what I said and we went to the gun store. Of course, by chance, they had a 110BA in .338Lapua. He didn't even look at the other rifles, he just pointed at it and said he wanted it. He paid half cash/half credit card because his Mom would pay for the balance (even though she gave him the cash.) He then started to look at scopes and thought that a $40 Tasco would work for it..

I put my foot down and said if he could drop $1900 out of whim on a rifle he was getting a scope that was qualified. I got him to get a VXIII 8.5-25x50. He then bought a box of Hornady ammo ($80) and we went to shoot at my 200 yard range..

He was appalled when my .308 was hitting the same steel as his .338Lapua. I then informed him the ammo cost about 1/5th of what his did.. He shot 20 rounds that day...I shot 100. He was pissed and hasn't bought ammo for it since.</div></div>

You should've let him go out and buy the .50 cal and then 'nicely' take it off of his hands for a good price when he realizes the tard decision that he made. That's what good friends are for!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtHoskins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LittleViktor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OMG, this other thread is even better! Guy just bought a .50 and is hoping to spend "$500" on a scope for it. I SHIT YOU NOT.

Not to mention, he doesn't actually belong to a range with 500 or 600 yards, hahahaha.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbullet...-Recommendation </div></div>

Oh lord. Maybe instead of making fun of him you should attempt to steer him in the right direction.</div></div>

Where's the fun in that? I thought the internet was for entertainment
wink.gif

I read through that thread and a couple of people pointed him in the right direction but I don't think he took their advice. Of course if really goes plan on shooting a .50 at a range that only goes to 100yds you can bet on a couple things.
1) A round will eventually go over the berm hopefully not causing a death
2) He will be arrested and his rifle confiscated
3) MA will have one less range for people to use

What's too bad is that the folks giving good advice seem to do so with soft, boring, encouraging tones, and the jag-off holding up the .408 as the "best in the world" (I love that part BTW) is so much more persuasive. Is this why we're all doomed?!?! Smart, nice people aren't cool to the noobs?

"Too many good people are silent. The problem is never the evil person because society will always have evil people. The collapse of society happens when the good are silent." 
-Rabbi Michael Schudrich 

Great quote, replace "evil" with "stupid" and you've got a winner for this issue...
The first gun I shot was a .22, some collectors item gun that my pop is now afraid to let the sun shine on, graduated to a .243 Rem 600, I'm sure you guys know it, it's a short little shit with a dogleg shaped bolt handle. Still have more fun with that than much else, and that's on steel at 500m... Which reminds me of my experience with a guy like that. He asked what I was shooting, I said "Rem 600, .243", he not only told me that 243 wouldn't knock down steel past 300m "especially with that short of a barrel..." also told me that a Rem 600 doesn't exist (keep in mind the gun was resting on a sandbag in front of me as he said this). I responded with "I'll keep that in mind." and went 5 for 5 at 500m with the guy standing there, he walked away without speaking any further.. All that being said, I learned more about shooting with a break action pellet gun in my backyard as a kid than anything else, shot everyday for years. Singleshots really get the beginner to respect each shot more, for this reason I've used my Thompson/Center Encore to teach every new shooter I've helped out.

Edit:
Oh btw, I'm new in town so I guess I should say "hi".
Hi, I'm Anthony..

Cant say I read the links to the other site but this sounds bad. I dont understand how you can go make a rash decision on a firearm that in so many ways out classes or is unjustified for ANY shooting goal you might be capable of obtaining. Just wait till he fires it the first time with only foamys in his ears... Not to mention his NcStar scope that will be ripped off the rifle in 10 rounds (if he can afford that much ammo.) What a crazy buy, I hope this is a joke in some odd way, shape or form.

NCstar?.....every beginner knows you need a countersniper on it.

yeah, .50 cal with a countersniper for a beginner.

that's what you need to pull double duty in PA's / maryland's / new yorks marshes and swamps during deer season, cause ya never know when you'll see a deer on the pole lines.....along with the other 100 hunters that are posted within that 300 yard shot.

better yet get a .408 with a nightforce on it.

with the surplus of flat 500+ yard ranges around the same area you should not have a problem getting your stuff together.

^^^ <span style="color: #FF0000">all of the above posted in jest of course </span>

IMO anything in a long action cartride should be eliminated, even with the newer "managed recoil" cartridges available. SA magnums can wait too.

you'll find that anyone that's worth listening to would suggest that a beginner rifle rem 700 action based rifles, savage 10 actions (edge & axis models too) / stevens 200, even marlin Xl7 and ruger's new american rifles all offer a good beginner (and seasoned shooter) platform in that 100-300 yard range, with the remington 700's and savage / steven's rifles offering the best avenues for upgrades as the beginner becomes more seasoned - at prices that are reasonable to an average bread winner. might as well through in tikka too. Howa is brought up occasionally, but i have no experience with them so i can't offer an opinion on them.

calibers - .223, .243, .260 7mm-08 .308, etc are exceptional rounds especially in that 100-300 range for beginners and .223, .243 not so bad in that 300-600 with the right combination of factors coming together.

Being a new shooter, based on what I've learned in the last 6 months, I would say the key question for the new shooter are:
- Target selection - paper at what distance? or game by size? or both? (I'm intrigued by 1,000 yd shooting. Driving 2 or 3 hours one way to get to a range is a bummer.)
- How often and how much are you going to shoot per year?
- What are the odds you will be shooting regularly one or two years from now?
- How competitive are you?

I'm sure the pros on this list could make some good suggestions with these answers.

Man...I've been into this for about 2 years now, and I'm not even sure I'd want to 'train' on a 50.

.223 for the win, and .308 after you get your legs under you a bit.

.22LR working in the background the whole time.

I'm in the middle of working up a load for a few 50 Projects on the bench.
I've done scads of training and shooting and I'll tell you straight out.
The 50 BMG is the most challenging thing that I've tried to shoot for accuracy.
Simply because you cannot completely relax as you would tend to do on a .308 or 300WM, etc.
Too tense and the group is negatively affected...too relaxed and the rifle/scope, et al, comes back and bitch slaps you for not providing enough resistance to the 6"-8" ride that every press of the trigger brings your way. I'm loving every round, but it's a learning curve. I can't imagine trying to learn on a 50.

Best bang for the buck for starters?

Rem 700 LTR in .223 Rem (1-9” twist) and another LTR in .308 Win (1-12”)

20 inch barrels are fluted, stiff, cut down velocity a bit but are readily threaded for a suppressor and you can always add DBM/bottom metal some time in the near future, but for these two platforms (start with .223 unless you already have higher-powered cartridge experience and aren't recoil shy), you can tag targets out to 600 yds fairly reliably with 69 grain bullets in the .223, MAYBE 900 yds with 175 grain bullets in the .308.

I own both, and a pair of PSS rifles in the same calibers and except for the weight difference, don't find much downrange performance variation. Well, the .308 PSS with the 26" barrel and suppressor is more reliable past 1,000 yds. But it's heavy and awkward. A good fixed position gun.

Depends on what you're planning on doing with it/them. Bench shooting? Allegheny Sniper Challenge over hill over dale day hikes, SHTF bug out kit?

I'd recommend starting cheaply, light loads. Rem 700 .223 LTR.

omg god i practice with a barrett m107 all the time and i no way in hell recomend that to a new guy i would recomend some thing like a 223 there are alot of retarads out there and 223 is alot cheaper to shoot the 50 is not the the best round if your looking for accurcey i practice with mine alot at home cause its the same rifle i use at work im in the united states army im infantry you where right to think that guys crazy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kodiak61</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call of duty.

I blame Call of duty. </div></div>

This may be true..

As far as comments about the new shooter being clueless to "long range shooting" Possibly. they may consider 300 yards long range as most ranges only go that far and the 1000 yard or 1/2 mile shot is almost unthought of outside of military circles or people that have seen Top Shot. I truthfully would have reccomended a .22. A 223 at the most.. When i bought my rifle I hade more than enough money to buy barrett .50 or a top of the line remmy 700. But since it was my first rifle I bought a tactical .22 and I have learned a lot from reading this site, and lots and lots of research on proper methods and asking questions and even though it is a .22LR I have applied what i have seen and learned. Today there were some older guys at the range today with .22's and scopes and I was grouping 1/3 the size of their groups with iron sights.. I say get a .22, read, watch pro's, ask questions and apply. once your ready then get something bigger and reach out to true LD shooting... sorry if this is long, but not all of us new guys are idiots.. Nothing beats the price and cost of shooting a .22LR !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like handing your girlfriend an 870 with mag buckshot for her first experiance with shooting. </div></div>

Or better yet a S&W Magnum 500 revolver for a first handgun. 90% of people have no business even holding that gun IMHO. Same with a Barret M107 or any .50 firearm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks just getting into shooting have perspectives about it all based on their observations, like the stuff they've seen on TV. Their perceptions are so distorted as to be comical, such as 300 yards being in LR territory. But, after all, it's their money and so what if they've got it all wrong, who cares. If these folks are having a good time who am I to say they're doing it wrong.

I see folks every day with "sniper rifles" shooting from the bench with bipod support without appearing to have any comprehension for anything important to good shooting; yet, in their fantasy they're having a very good time, so until these folks actually express an interest in learning something about good shooting I'm not going to tell em anything unless it concerns safety.</div></div>

I would agree with you in general, but in this case the guy could seriously hurt himself or others by mixing fucktard, steel, close-range, and a BMG. That's the sort of thing that gets legislation passed.

I don't see the problem with recommending a $5k rifle that costs $4 every time you pull the trigger, shoots about 2 moa at best, and beats you (and your shooting line neighbors) up worse than anything else on the market. Likely conducive to lots of practice, won't ingrain any bad habits like flinching or anticipating the shot, and should attract help from other precision shooters by telegraphing that he's serious about learning and not just some dumbass.

whistle.gif

I might have even steered him away from a .308 toward a 6.5 Creedmoor or some such thing, but .308 is so common it'll be easy to find ammo, help, F-class meets, etc. Seems like the guy is smart enough to ignore the .50 BMG idiot...

I have to say I'm enjoying reading that thread. Some of that "advice" those guys are giving out is astonishing. It's hard to believe they're being serious.

Sometimes when you argue with an idiot it becomes hard for the bystanders to tell the difference of which one is which

Thatn being said everytime i run into guys like that all i can think of is beavis and butthead. Huhuh huhuh yeah thats was cool. And i usually respond with I remember my first beer too.

You weren't wrong at all, recommending a .50 cal Barrett to a new shooter is wrong for so many reasons. That's a sure fire recipe for failure. For shooting 300 and in I would go with a .223.