• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beginners Sniper

devin92093

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2012
Im looking to buy a rifle for around 1000 dollars. I have been looking at M40's online and have assembled Remington 700's online but are all around 2000 im looking for the same amount of accuracy and power with a less expensive gun. Any ideas

Re: Beginners Sniper

EPIC first post.

Some questions...

1. Are you a sniper?
2. is 1K your budget for rifle or rifle and optic?
3. Do you have a caliber in mind?
4. What are your plans for the rifle? Type of shooting, distance, ect?
5. Are you a sniper?
6. do you plan on sniping?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Devin McCollum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking to buy a rifle for around 1000 dollars. I have been looking at M40's online and have assembled Remington 700's online but are all around 2000 im looking for the same amount of accuracy and power with a less expensive gun. <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Any ideas</span></span> </div></div>

First...welcome to the Hide. Do be sure to fill out your profile at your convenience. Also, for your convenience, there is a link to the Hide FAQ section in my sig line below that covers all sorts of beginner questions like rifle options on a budget, etc., etc. Have a click on that link and a read at your leisure...there is a lot of info there, but it is good stuff and will assist someone like you who is just starting out.

Now...as to your question...best advice I can give you is save more money! Accuracy isn't cheap, nor is it easily achieved. While $1k might get you into a basic rifle (see below)...it won't get you to the range ready to shoot.

For the $1k budget...you are primarily looking at off-the-shelf factory rifles of the nature of the Remington 700P, 5R, etc. These rifles are capable of sub-MOA accuracy with the proper ammo, a shooter that does his/her part, etc. BUT...that $1k gets you the rifle...nothing else. Don't forget to budget for scope mount/base, rings, a scope, ammo, etc.

Also...word to the wise...drop the "sniper" stuff before you land yourself in a world of @#$% that you don't want around these parts!
wink.gif

My idea is to tell you to do a little more homework and use the search function of this site. What are your intended purposes? What caliber preference? What ranges are you wanting to shoot? Those details will get you farther than your original question. There are many talented people on this site that can help you so help us out a little bit. In general, you can put together a decent rifle/ glass package for around a grand. Example is Remmy SPS-T and SWFA SS glass. BUT.......if you are wanting to stay cheap then this isnt a good hobby for "cheap".
laugh.gif

Bryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> BUT.......if you are wanting to stay cheap then this isnt a good hobby for "cheap".
laugh.gif

Bryan </div></div>

Words of wisdom right there.