• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

beginning charge for load development starting at lands...

PlinkIt

GunNut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2014
Virginia / North Carolina
If I plan to follow to procedure in the sticky set to acquire my optimum load for each given rifle, then I will start my load development with the bullet at the lands.. Now I also understand that this will increase pressure and I should back down from Max loads and work up till I find first signs of pressure.. Now for my problem.. As a new reloader I do not know just how far back from the standard guidelines to back off while working my way up through the charges.. As an example for this question hornady calls for 22.7 to max of 24.9 of varget for a 223 now if I load to lands is starting at the 22.7 low enough or should I be backing off that much more?.. Or would the answer be different if I asked about a 7mm rem mag calling for 53.7 to max of 59.7 of h4831...

And again to everyone thanks for all the help you guys on this site have been an enormous help to me!!

You will find that hornadys load data is soft and are lower than Hodgdon powder recommendations. Your fine with those starting loads.