• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bell and Carlson A2 savage, w/ detachable magazine?

tacticalpanda

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Columbus, OH
Looking for a new stock and was looking at the B&C. As far as I know it only comes for a blind magazine. Does anyone know if they do make it for the detachable magazine for Savages?

Thanks for the answers. Was trying to avoid having to buy CDI's bottom metal for now and was looking for it to be inletting for the factory bottom metal. I want to do CDI's eventually but that is later down the road due to money right now. Probably going to go with HS for now.

Buy the A2 Medalist, run it blind mag (centerfeed short actions hold rounds to 3.00"), save pennies and send the thing to Jeff @ CDI when you can afford it.

Buy the A2 Medalist, run it blind mag (centerfeed short actions hold rounds to 3.00"), save pennies and send the thing to Jeff @ CDI when you can afford it.

If I do that all i need it he mag box and spring correct? I have a 10p right now with the mag release button on the trigger guard. Looked at Choate but I guess the new savages don't work with them. I would be fine with the A2?

I've thought about it. I like to do stuff myself. But honestly have never done anything like that and don't know where to start. Also worried that by doing that I could end up with a $250 paper weight if I mess up.
You could but if you are afraid to try it you will never be able to i say go for it I plan on inleting mine.

You could but if you are afraid to try it you will never be able to i say go for it I plan on inleting mine.

If you do let me know how you went about it. I want to know how to do this type of stuff but have no clue where to start. Like what dremal tools, measuring it, etc. I have a basic idea in my head but have never tried anything like this. Plus I read that is more than just cutting as you have to worry about the aluminum bedding block or something else I can't remember I read it in a random post I found.

Yeah CDI BM, and a 10 round magazine, I believe its an AICS mag in 300 WM, I have their metal on my Rem 700 with a Choate Tactical, it works well. The Sav mag only holds 3 rounds, I don't like wasting time loading magazines so I have many 10 rd magazines for their bottom metal and the Mcrees stock, they are interchangeable.

This is the stock I got, not sure if its good for the trigger bolt release though, call Choate direct and talk with Fred, great guy. CDI also a great source, they wont steer you wrong either.

Choate Tactical Stock for Savage Long Action

Are you adding the CDi bottom metal to yours or using the factory detachable magazine?

Last edited:
I intend to take extra long action screws and screw the bottom metal on over the bottom of the stock, trace it out and cut it carefully with a disc. Then I was going to use steel bedding compound to set the depth.

Yeah CDI BM, and a 10 round magazine, I believe its an AICS mag in 300 WM, I have their metal on my Rem 700 with a Choate Tactical, it works well. The Sav mag only holds 3 rounds, I don't like wasting time loading magazines so I have many 10 rd magazines for their bottom metal and the Mcrees stock, they are interchangeable.

This is the stock I got, not sure if its good for the trigger bolt release though, call Choate direct and talk with Fred, great guy. CDI also a great source, they wont steer you wrong either.

Choate Tactical Stock for Savage Long Action

I like the choate for the money. Almost pulled the trigger on buying one then I saw on combatstocks website that they aren't compatable with the new savages. Will give them a call. I do plan on doing the CDI bottom metal just don't need to right now as I found I'm usually just loading one in the chamber and not using the magazine. Trying to save money as I want to/just starting to get into high power shooting and I need to build a gun. Another money pit.

coWSMasher.

Thanks for the info. I may give it a try. Doesn't sound to hard.

If you inlet a stock for factory bottom metal, CDI bottom metal will work with it. The factory metal opening is just a tad bigger than the CDI, but it works. I have a Manners stock that was inlet for Factory DBM and my CDI stuff works fine, just doesn't fit as nice and tight as my other one that was inlet for CDI.

If you inlet a stock for factory bottom metal, CDI bottom metal will work with it. The factory metal opening is just a tad bigger than the CDI, but it works. I have a Manners stock that was inlet for Factory DBM and my CDI stuff works fine, just doesn't fit as nice and tight as my other one that was inlet for CDI.

Good to know. Never thought that they were different. But at least now, I know they will work. I may just break down and buy the CDI bottom metal. I would be paying $160 more for the HS precision. So it would only add $100 on to the total price. I really don't know if I need the detachable magazine but who knows. Probably going to shoot it as is for a bit with the cheap savage stock until I make up my mind.