• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bell and Carlson M40 stocks?

Nebraska123

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2011
Grand Island, FL
I have been a long time lurker on this site for several months now. I would like to THANK the Hide and its members for the vast amount of info I've pick up from the forums!

Now to my question. Does anyone have experience with the new bell and carlson medalist m40 varmint/tactical stocks. I recently purchased a model 700 AAC-SD and want to upgrade the stock to the m40. My only worry is this stocks set up for the #3 barrel contour so I would have to open it up a bit.

Thanks, Dan

Re: Bell and Carlson M40 stocks?

I'm running a standard A2 medalist on my savage and have a full bull barrel 1" from barrel nut to muzzle and my barrel is prefectly floated without a single touch, I have not had to open up the chanel one but so i would assume the A4 style should be the same.

PIC-0167.jpg

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nebraska123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been a long time lurker on this site for several months now. I would like to THANK the Hide and its members for the vast amount of info I've pick up from the forums!

Now to my question. Does anyone have experience with the new bell and carlson medalist m40 varmint/tactical stocks. I recently purchased a model 700 AAC-SD and want to upgrade the stock to the m40. My only worry is this stocks set up for the #3 barrel contour so I would have to open it up a bit.

Thanks, Dan
</div></div>

The Remington # 3 contour is the Rem Varmint/Tactical/Sendero barrel contour. The 700 AAC-SD contour is the same same, just a 1-10" twist vs a 1-12" twist.

The M40 style and Thumb hook Lt Tacticals both have .070" float over the std varmint contour.

Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought the tactical/varmint/sendero were a little heavier that #3 contour.

I just bought one.

My barrel is not free floated. You'll have to sand some paint away.

The stock itself is comfortable but feels cheap compared to the better brands.

I was looking at these on Midway's site last night. $200 cheaper than the nearest competitor in the same pattern. Goes a good ways toward optics, especially on a small caliber like I'm doing on my 40x .22lr. I talked myself in and out of a MCM about ten times yesterday. This may be a good alternative for a .,22lr, and even your 700. I'd also like to hear of first hand experience with this stock.

I now have two of them. (see side by side pic below)

The green rifle(700tactical)was built from a brand new box stock rifle, using all brand new stuff. Everything went together in three minutes, without issue. No fitting required whatsoever, including the Wyatt's DBM setup.

The tan rifle (700AAC/SD) was purchased used and required minor clearencing of the barrel channel and shims under the hinge assy.(the hinge wouldn't close)
It really wasn't a big deal at all... and overall, I am very pleased with both of the stocks.
For the money, I don't think you can go wrong.

I only have about a dozen rounds of Hornady 168gr Amax through the Tactical(green)rifle sofar, and it impresses the hell out of me.
I still need to finish off the AAC/SD with a base, rings and glass... and now properly fitted in the B&C stock, I fully expect it to shoot as well as my other Remmy. The factory Hogue stocks are garbage.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g369/yullose/SDC111502.jpg?t=1300561713

Just replaced a B&C Light Tactical with one of these M40s. So far, so good. My SPS-T fit perfectly, although I did immediately bed it, so I can't comment on how it fits without the Devcon.

Picture012-1.jpg

The B&C stocks are foam coated in a thin plastic shell. I dunno what happens when you crack that shell and lose the structural support of it.

Its actually lighter than the Hogue stock I had on my SPS tactical.

If I had the cash I would have gone with a manners T3 or similiar but thatll have to wait tell later this year.

I can tell you that I had a HS Precision stock before and hated the way it felt.

The squared off foreend of the B&C isn't near as comfortable to hold off hand as the A5 style of foreends.

The m40 stock is comfortable, immediately more so, than the Hogue stock. Which I tried to like and did use for a year or more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">The B&C stocks are foam coated in a thin plastic shell</span>. I dunno what happens when you crack that shell and lose the structural support of it.

If I had the cash I would have gone with a manners T3 or similiar but thatll have to wait tell later this year.

I can tell you that I had a HS Precision stock before and hated the way it felt.

The squared off foreend of the B&C isn't near as comfortable to hold off hand as the A5 style of foreends.

The m40 stock is comfortable, immediately more so, than the Hogue stock. Which I tried to like and did use for a year or more. </div></div>
Interesting. I drilled mine (A2 model) to install flush cups and it is a solid material all the way through. The butt portion is mostly hollow, however.

I got a B&C M40 stock and tried it out today with my .308. My other stock is an HS Precision (700P pull off). I really didn't want to like the B&C. It is a cheap stock, but it has very little flex up front, the work is clean and neat and I found it to be much more comfortable than the HSP.

Oddly enough, I could also have sworn that I felt a good bit less recoil with the B&C.

the regular B&C stocks aren't anything great, but their medalist line has aluminum block bedding is a much more substantial stock than a hogue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The B&C stocks are foam coated in a thin plastic shell. I dunno what happens when you crack that shell and lose the structural support of it.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Not even close.</span>

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

The B&C Medalist stocks (of which we are discussing) are a hand laid Kevlar and composite shell with fiber reinforced foam over an aluminum inner chassis. The aluminum skeleton runs "grip to tip".

I have several of these. I can tell you they will stand up to more than most on here will ever put their rifles through.

Now the B&C does still have one line that is foam core and no aluminum. It's fairly easy to tell if you look inside the inlet. The purpose of those stocks are for guys who just want to replace the wood on their hunting rifles and don't want to spend the money for a high end composite stock.

I will say that in my opinion the B&C Medalist stocks are higher quality than H&S Precision stocks.

I guess what I should have said is that the "majority of the stock is foam coated in a thin plastic/or kevlar shell" With an inlaid aluminum bedding block.

I think the HS Precision are more or less a solid plastic stock with an inlaid aluminum bedding block.

I was more concerned if you smashed your stock against a barricade or hit it against a tree and you cracked that shell that leaves the hard foam inner core exposed.

I have one on my savage M12. I find it to be an excellent stock. Is it a MCM? Of course not, but for $200 what do you want? If I was in Iraq, I'd want a little more solid unit, but there is not situation stateside I be hesitant about. The barrel on my savage tapers to .800 and I had to relieve the channel a bit. Skim bedded the front lug and relieved it at the tang (a common need with the savage for accuarcy). This gun with LW barrel is a consistent .2 rifle with the occasional .1(caliber is .204).

LoneWolf,

Is that a hollow cavity in the buttstock? If so I'm thinking of glopping some epoxy and bb's in there....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the HS Precision are more or less a solid plastic stock with an inlaid aluminum bedding block.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nope.</span>

What did you base that assumption on?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LoneWolf,

Is that a hollow cavity in the buttstock? If so I'm thinking of glopping some epoxy and bb's in there.... </div></div>

There is a cavity in there, but be prepared for some damage removing the recoil pad. It is bonded onto the stock.

I have no idea why you would add weight to the stock. They balance very well with a 26" barrel. I have not gotten the M40 on our AAC-SD yet, but I would bet it works very well in balancing that platform as well.

I shoot heavy rifles when there is a benefit to it (AI, AR10, etc.). I don't generally try to make light rifles heavy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the HS Precision are more or less a solid plastic stock with an inlaid aluminum bedding block.</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nope.</span>

What did you base that assumption on?

</div></div>

I remember the one I had being heavier and had a more solid feel than the B&C. When I changed the buttpad on my HS from the stock plastic piece to a different one the buttpad screwed into the stock and it was solid plastic. I assumed the entire stock was just a solid plastic mold around the bedding block.

As for adding weight My 20" barreled rifle with the bipod/podclaws out front is a little front heavy with shooting slung up/offhand. Wanting to maybe add a few ounces out back so i balanced better but if its glued or sealed into the stock then I'm not gonna worry about it. I dont think it would hold a screwed in replacement buttpad if thats the case.

Without the bipod it does balance well.

Lonewolf, great pics, thanks for posting them. Could you do us a favor here and (since you have seen it firsthand) take a minute to describe "fiber reinforced foam"? I think some here are confusing it with the kind of foam thier beer chest is made of. TIA.

okie

I just ordered one from Midway. After reading LoneWolf's postings I figured it'd be a good buy. Got the bdl aluminum bottom metal and hex head screws also. Should have it by Wed afternoon. I'll give a mini review

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you do us a favor here and (since you have seen it firsthand) take a minute to describe "fiber reinforced foam"?</div></div>

I am far from a foam expert, but the way it was explained to me is that the liquid foam is mixed with a fiber reinforcement (think like fiberglass strands) then poured into the mold halves after the shells have been laid up. It then expands around the aluminum chassis, which is held in place by a jig.

I am not sure what the trade name or type of the foam used is (and not sure they would tell me), but it's pretty hard. It's definitely not Styrofoam like a beer cooler.

Now I don't go parking trucks on my stocks, or use them to pound fence posts. However I don't treat them nice either. For me the LT and M40 stocks are comfortable and an excellent value. If you require the features of the McMillan or Manners stocks, then I suggest you go that route.

I'm guessing these are only out for RH shooters as of now? I looked on Stocky's and couldn't find anything for a lefty.

I installed one of the B&C M 40's on my 700 tac. a few weeks ago and love it. It is night and day compared to factory Hogue. Very good stock for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverstang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm guessing these are only out for RH shooters as of now? I looked on Stocky's and couldn't find anything for a lefty. </div></div>

Call B&C and ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The B&C stocks are foam coated in a thin plastic shell. I dunno what happens when you crack that shell and lose the structural support of it.

The m40 stock is comfortable, immediately more so, than the Hogue stock. Which I tried to like and did use for a year or more. </div></div>

The Duramax stocks by B&C may be foam inside, but none of the Medalist line of stocks I've bedded over the years are foam. Unless you're going to throw it out of an airplane/helo by itself, you probably will never have a problem with a B&C Medalist stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phideaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Duramax stocks by B&C may be foam inside, but none of the Medalist line of stocks I've bedded over the years are foam. </div></div>

I think if you read LoneWolfs description and look at the pictures above you'll see differently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The B&C stocks are foam coated in a thin plastic shell. I dunno what happens when you crack that shell and lose the structural support of it. </div></div>

rrflyer, you may well be very knowledgable about stocks of all kinds but I think most with experience about this particular line quit listening to what you had to say on this thread after you said this. If you think it would be this easy to destroy this stock, how bout posting a vid of what it takes to crack the "thin plastic shell" and "lose the structural support of it". I'm sure it can be done but some, like me, would just like to see what it would take to do it. I promise, it will take a lot more than just falling against a tree or knocking it off the bench. BTW, remember, we're talkin about a $200 stock so please dont waste all of our time by comparing it to a Mac.
wink.gif

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The B&C stocks are foam coated in a thin plastic shell. I dunno what happens when you crack that shell and lose the structural support of it. </div></div>

rrflyer, you may well be very knowledgable about stocks of all kinds but I think most with experience about this particular line quit listening to what you had to say on this thread after you said this. If you think it would be this easy to destroy this stock, how bout posting a vid of what it takes to crack the "thin plastic shell" and "lose the structural support of it". I'm sure it can be done but some, like me, would just like to see what it would take to do it. I promise, it will take a lot more than just falling against a tree or knocking it off the bench. BTW, remember, we're talkin about a $200 stock so please dont waste all of our time by comparing it to a Mac.
wink.gif

okie </div></div>

Be happy if you wanna spot me the couple hundred bucks!

But thats the first thought I had when I got my hands on the stock. I dunno if its a true concern or not....Time will tell with that.

I can tell you the "hand laid kevlar shell" is very thin. My stock had a few paint runs/bubbles in the barrel channel that I removed with a razor blade. I slipped once and it went right through.

Dont try and paint me into the fanboy corner as the A5 and Adjustable HTG McMillan weren't perfect either and i dont own either of them anymore.

The M40 stock is comfortable and it fixes the cheek weld problems I had the McMillan HTG. It also feels like the handgrip area is longer than the HTG as well which feels better.

Ha ha, nahh, I dont want to see it that bad. So... you made a little slip, and cut through kevlar.......ok. Well, watch those razor blades around your stocks.

okie

Black with grey webbing stock came in the other day and put it on along with one of Ross's brakes. Super sniper HD with rings and base should be here soon!

First time I've tried to post pics so hope this works

http://i54.tinypic.com/4t1ytg.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/1zccvmu.jpg

Oh ya, the fit is amazing exept a little ugly where the back of the reciever sits. I'll try and get a photo of that craftsmanship

I have a B&C on my Savage and its been on there over the course of 2 years and probably 1000 rounds. Its hard to believe, but I think its as good as the McMillan A3 my friend has on his. Maybe better. I bedded both rifles, and yes, the mcm is heavier, but does that mean stronger?

My savage had the oem cheapie on it, and my friends rifle was more accurate than mine. The I put my action in the BC stock and mine outshot his. Then I bedded both and while both improved, mine still outshot his.

So: you can spend an extra $250 to get a heavier, less accurate stock with a fancy name, or get a quality product for a fair price. You choose.

Lastly, a hunk of dowel wrapped in 80 grit will hog out the barrel channel to whatever contour you want. No problem. I had to inlet mine a little, just so the gap was nice and even on both sides of the barrel. Took 10 minutes and came out perfect.

Here you go guys. Pics of whats on the in side! This is not the first one I have seen, the inside seems to be quite durable and hard.

Modified B&C

Any of you guys with the B&C m40 ever sling up hard with it? Is the front stiff enough to keep it off the barrel? Other medalist stocks I've looked at were definitely not but this seems to have more metal up front. Thx

Which model is the "M40" exactly? I don't see any reference to M40 on their website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeld1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which model is the "M40" exactly? I don't see any reference to M40 on their website. </div></div>

I don't believe it's on their website. It's the newest of their M700 stocks.

Here is what it looks like:

IMG_3490.jpg

Looks nice and I might be interested in one but I can't find a place that has them in stock anywhere. If I had a LA I would be all set.

I have a short action though I'm afraid.

These stocks. Preferably the a2 look great but are they stiff enough to be free floated and keep the barrel off while shooting from a bipod?

I just purchased a Bell & Carlson Medalist M40 stock. I can not wait to mount my REM 700 BDL 300 win mag. I'm going to have it bedded. I'm building a 800yd rifle and this stock will deffinetly help to achieve MOA groups at long ranges. These stocks are super accurate and have little to no flex. They are super stiff with a aluminum skeletal frame. They are believed to be one of the best long range stocks. That being said this stock is hands down a performer and will hold up to its name

Do any of you have a DBM for your BC M40 stock? I am interested in getting one but unsure as to which variant works for this stock? AW/AICS/AE

Love mine. Solid as a rock. Blows my hs precision out of the water. Fyi these stocks have nothing in commen with the old carbolites. Whole diffrent animal here