• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bell and Carlson Vertical grip tactical stock

nmsheephunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
roswell, nm
Hey everybody, I am sure this has been asked, and answered several times, but please help me out. I have a 700 sps varmint and am planning on re-stocking it. I would go with a McM, or Manners if I could, but that is not an option at this point. What can you tell me about the vertical grip medalist stock? I would like to see pictures if you have them. Also has anyone tried to sand the bulk off the stock up front? Thanks.

Re: Bell and Carlson Vertical grip tactical stock

I have a couple of B&C stocks and when I'm at the range, I'll offer anybody who asks a chance to fire a couple of rounds to see if they like it. If I'm going to spend big bucks, I'd want to know how it feels when I fire. Spend money on quality stuff you will use and you won't regret it.

Next time you're at the range, walk the line and check out what's there. I think if you ask serious questions, you may get a chance to try it out.

Bell and Carlson is not a crappy compromise, try not to treat it as such.

If you have a build planned and are rock solid, just buy piece by piece and save time and money. Don't buy something to use in the meantime, as that only sets you back. I didn't even have to float my A5 ( I still did, because it can't hurt.) and it's got a decent bedding block instead of the pillarless regular SPS stocks or the pillars in the hogue stock of the tactical. Don't worry as much about the stock as you do about the barrel, base, and scope. As they say, the barrel is the heart of the rifle. ( But often times will come nowhere close to good glass in terms of price.)

Take a look at the B&C 2956 (Thumbhook) or 1000 (M40 style) stocks. Both have a more favorable forearm (forearms are the same on those models).

The grips are very similar on both of these stocks. They are not a full "vertical" grip, but they are close.

Get behind one if you can, but I am certain that either will be a solid fit for you. These are some of the most user friendly stocks out there today as far as fitting a wide spectrum of shooters.

Will get some pictures up later.

The Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A5 Fully Adjustable stock is a very nice stock. I highly recommend it for a rifle build.

Jense_Precision_260_Remington_Tactical_02_BIG-963x469.jpg

Listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about, and I'll agree. My B&C Medalist A2 for an SPS-V arrived yesterday. The fit/finish on it is great and I feel it was money well spent. If you decide to order, buy it through Stocky's. They have excellent customer service and low prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What he said.
smile.gif

TABGEARANTVOMITCAMMO009.jpg

-Pat </div></div>

Nice paint job! That is sweet!

2094 in red mist
2956 in yellow web

IMG_2006-1.jpg

1000 in tan w/ black and green w/ black web
IMG_2193.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A5 Fully Adjustable stock is a very nice stock. I highly recommend it for a rifle build.

Jense_Precision_260_Remington_Tactical_02_BIG-963x469.jpg

</div></div>
What contour barrel is that? </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1014329#Post1014329

This is the specs on his rifle.
Very nice by the way.
JMC

Just saved this to my favorites. This is EXACTLY the route I've been thinking of going with my 700 but with an 18 1/2" barrel.

Check out Greybull Precision. They offer the LA stock now, but the SA is around the corner. Good design, great feeling stock that also accommodates many shooters. A little different layup on these, but that is not a bad thing, just equates to a bit higher stock.

ive just got a remington 5r milspec. and have been looking at B&C Tactical Medalist A5. so heres my question how big is the palm swell?

No "real" palm swell, just a good old fashion "full" grip. No golf ball swell, but not a soft ball grip either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2094 in red mist
2956 in yellow web

IMG_2006-1.jpg

1000 in tan w/ black and green w/ black web
IMG_2193.jpg
</div></div>

what bottom metal do you have on the top two rifles??

also, do i need to install the 'Harris Bipod Adapter for Flat Forends' if using this stock with a harris bipod? or can i get away without using one?

You don't always need the adapter. If your interested I have one ill send you, just pay shipping.

Would like to thank the original poster for starting this thread, and all those that have responded to it. I just ordered one of these from Stockys yesterday, "Pig In A Poke" as it were. Sure glad to hear they are decent stocks!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Emory Jones

Harris bipod adapter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as it has a bipod stud, your good to go.</div></div>
That's terrific, just after I spent $30 bucks on one.
RiflePics022.jpg

Re: Harris bipod adapter

The 1000 M40 stock looks exactly like what I am looking for, but I cannot find it on the B&C web site or on Stocky's site. Where did you get it? Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slabsides52</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1000 M40 stock looks exactly like what I am looking for, but I cannot find it on the B&C web site or on Stocky's site. Where did you get it? Thanks. </div></div>

Look at his sig...

(Wade) Gunner75 works for B&C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as it has a bipod stud, your good to go.</div></div>
That's terrific, just after I spent $30 bucks on one.
RiflePics022.jpg
</div></div>

hey, is that the sps tactical and a monarch scope??? if so, i've got the same too. was it just a 'drop in' when you installed it into the b&c stock??

Bell and Carlson Vertical grip tactical stock

No, it's an SPS Varmint (same difference) with a Monarch
grin.gif
but yes, it was a simple drop-in, and everything snugged up nice & tight. The only issue I discovered is that the bolt handle contacts the stock when it's closed, thus I'll have to do a little sanding and remove material from the bolt handle channel. But we're only talking about a fraction of a millimeter and an area about 1/2 the size of a grain of rice; not much at all. The rifle functions as is, but I know the bolt handle is not supposed to contact the stock; no big deal.

i also have an a5 on my gun and i love it. was easy to install...

i also installed seekins detachable mag system on mine.

about the only complaint i have is with the rail thats built in. i would rather it be a pic rail or come / have an adapter to convert it to a pic rail. i want to have a pic rail up front and one in the back so i can install a mono pod.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...937#Post1660937

Got the same one as JMS on my SPS-V in 243. I love the feel of the stock. I'm using a Harris bipod and an Accushot rear Monopod. I was worried about the additional weight as mine is a varminter, so I went with the 2092 A2 style. My rig weighs in at 14.5lbs and is very comfortable. I was going to put a Karsten on it, but the eagle pack makes it feel perfect for my fat head. I shoot mostly prone, so the forearm doesn't bother me a bit.
PICT0057.jpg

PICT0059.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frollo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i also have an a5 on my gun and i love it. was easy to install...

i also installed seekins detachable mag system on mine.

about the only complaint i have is with the rail thats built in. i would rather it be a pic rail or come / have an adapter to convert it to a pic rail. i want to have a pic rail up front and one in the back so i can install a mono pod.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...937#Post1660937
</div></div>

I was wondering if something like this might work
JAE%20Website%20Bottom%20Picatinny%20Rail%209%20inch.JPG

It's an adaptor for the JAE stocks.

hi for your stock adaptors Kasey has short sections with tabs that slide straight into the rail and also has small sections that can get screwed to the underneath of the Butt. We are building up 3 rifles at the moment with Manners Stocks and have Kasey's on the forend and a Badger short piece of rail fixed under the but this was Tom Manners advice they will be a lot cheeper than the large full length rail adaptor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the same one as JMS on my SPS-V in 243. I love the feel of the stock. I'm using a Harris bipod and an Accushot rear Monopod. I was worried about the additional weight as mine is a varminter, so I went with the 2092 A2 style. My rig weighs in at 14.5lbs and is very comfortable. I was going to put a Karsten on it, but the eagle pack makes it feel perfect for my fat head. I shoot mostly prone, so the forearm doesn't bother me a bit.
PICT0057.jpg

PICT0059.jpg
</div></div>

nice looking rifle

who did your bolt handle and Cerakote?(if that is what you had done)

I just received my B&C medalist A2 in the mail yesterday and mounted it on my Rem 700 SPSV 26". I am anxious to get and shoot, The stock feels amazing. The only concern i have is whether i need to bed it or not, it seems to be just a hair to the right in the barrel channel and I don't think it has 100% clearance on the barrel but it passes the dollar bill test but it gets a little sticky up towards the receiver where the barrel diameter is the larger.

IMG_1108800x286.jpg

sorry for the bad quality, gotta love the cell phone cameras
grin.gif

I have a new scope coming for it on Friday, A Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 FFP G2 with seekins rings and a vortex scope level

Hi Everyone, I am new here and new to the precision rifle arena. I am building my first, and decided to go custom from the ground up. I just bought a Rem 700 SPS Stainless with the 5R Barrel and mounted it in a B&C Medalist A5 Fully Adjustable stock (Green Webbing). It looks great and was super easy to install. I am shipping out my bolt to Ryan at Superior Precision Rifles to thread for a Badger Ordnance Tactical Bolt Knob. I also ordered a Wyatt Box Magazine Trigger guard (with 2 10 round mags), a Timney Trigger and a Harris Bi-pod. I am still trying to decide on a scope. I was going to buy a NightForce Benchrest 12-42x56 Mil-Dot, but my buddy has me thinking more about his Leupold Mk4 ER/T 8.5-25x50 since it is FFP. I plan on shooting mostly 400-600 yards at a range my tactical group trains at. This will not be for hunting use. Any help, recommendations, thoughts, critiques or just plain comments to guide me would be appreciated!
Remington7005R_zps69c48f8a.jpg

Pardon my big toes and the crappy quality above. My iPad doesn't take pics all that well sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpenlandjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pardon my big toes and the crappy quality above. My iPad doesn't take pics all that well sometimes.</div></div>

wipe the bacon grease off the lens...
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just received my B&C medalist A2 in the mail yesterday and mounted it on my Rem 700 SPSV 26". I am anxious to get and shoot, The stock feels amazing. The only concern i have is whether i need to bed it or not, it seems to be just a hair to the right in the barrel channel and I don't think it has 100% clearance on the barrel but it passes the dollar bill test but it gets a little sticky up towards the receiver where the barrel diameter is the larger.

</div></div>

Have the same setup myself, bedded it at home. More of a learning experience than necessity. But glad i did. An hour or so with a dremmel and its pretty generously floated now.

bpenlandjr, I would recommend the 12-42x NXS model instead of the benchrest version if you go Nightforce. I have used a 8-32x NXS and a 12-42x NXS on a simlar setup and they are awesome. I recommend the NF direct mount, they are very solid. Why Timney instead of Jewell? I had the gunsmith tune my factory trigger and it is just about perfect for less $.

Squid, thx for,the reply. I have read the only difference between the NightForce Benchrest and NXS models was the NXS were made more rugged foe hunters and use in the field. That is why I was thinking Benchrest. As for rings, I plan on using the NF Ultralites. Also, I am now leaning towards the 8.5-42x50mm version.

Regarding my choice of trigger, I am partial to Timneys. I use them in all my ARs and love them. Since they work well for me, I can't see spending the extra $100 on a Jewell. I also thought about having th 40x tuned, but the Timney is only $124.

I think the NXS side parallax adjustment (focus) is quicker than twisting the front bell. Helps if you want to try to focus on mirage or reading wind half way to the target. Leupold is also a fine scope scope as well though...

I have a Timney on my AR as well, but I've heard a lot of people have to slightly modify the Timneys on their 700's sometimes.

the only thing i had to adjust on my timney ona a rem 700 is the bolt release to ensure it was in the groove so it didn't get stuck but with the design of the bolt release there's really no way around having to fine tune that on installation.