• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist and #7 barrel

cypriss32

L337
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2004
Fresno, Ca
Has anyone run one of the medalist tacticals with a #7 barrel? I have a savage rifle with a M24 barrel and was thinking of running this stock. I was unsure if the stock has enough width to handle it.

Re: Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist and #7 barrel

The B&C tactical stocks are inletted for the factory heavy barrel contour of the host gun.
So, you could drop a 10FP into a savage inletted one or a 700P into a remington inletted one.

However, a #7 contour is going to be larger in diameter at the receiver than a savage bull barrel contour as Savage barrels are smaller in diameter than typical barrel blanks.
This is due to the barrel nut design of the savage not needing to have the barrel be large enough in diameter to create a shoulder to tighten against the lug.
The nut creates that shoulder.
On the conventional remington design, the barrel tightens against the lug and therefore has to be big enough in diameter to retain the lug against the receiver.
The standard diameter for most barrels just forward of the lug is 1.25".
Savage barrels are around 1.05" just forward of the nut.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The B&C tactical stocks are inletted for the factory heavy barrel contour of the host gun.
So, you could drop a 10FP into a savage inletted one or a 700P into a remington inletted one.

However, a #7 contour is going to be larger in diameter at the receiver than a savage bull barrel contour as Savage barrels are smaller in diameter than typical barrel blanks.
This is due to the barrel nut design of the savage not needing to have the barrel be large enough in diameter to create a shoulder to tighten against the lug.
The nut creates that shoulder.
On the conventional remington design, the barrel tightens against the lug and therefore has to be big enough in diameter to retain the lug against the receiver.
The standard diameter for most barrels just forward of the lug is 1.25".
Savage barrels are around 1.05" just forward of the nut. </div></div>

Randall I know all that bud. I was wondering (being I DONT have a stock) if I can take out enough matterial to make the #7 fit. By the pics of the stocks I have seen they taper down the forend slightly.

I have a PTA with a Bartlein heavy varmint in one. Plenty of meat left over. You should be able to cross reference the countours. I retained the nut on mine.

I built one on a 700 Long action .338 edge improved.
It was a custom taper but I just took the calipers too it and it measures 1.160 at the end of the forearm which is roughly 10 inches from front of receiver it gets a little narrow up there but still looks good. So if you are running a nutted savage you should be able to run a straight bull with no problems. Just a little opening up. Hope that helps