• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bell & Carlson vs McMillan

deerhunter70

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Hey Folks,
Working on a Rem 700 338 NM build. I need to get a stock. I have a B&C Tactical Medalist Style 5 on another gun and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. The palm swell is a little big for me and will be shaved down to accommodate my smaller hands. What I want to know is how much better is the McMillan A5 compared to the B&C Medalist 5. Is it really worth the extra 500+ dollars. I'm not opposed to the McMillan I just want to be as informed as I can be in picking a stock.

I've also been reading up on chassis systems. Do they really help with accuracy? If so which one is a good one?

Thanks,
John

I think improved accuracy will come with improved comfort and ergonomics. With that being said i cant shoot a lick with a standard stock. I went with aics 1.5 and i couldnt be happier. Much improved accuracy. I think its because im comfortable now more than anything. Get whatever feels the,best. My understanding of the mcmillin stocks is that they are a very good quality and will remain stable shot after shot allowing each one to break as close to the last as possibe. They will handle recoil and barrel whip while keeping the action in the exact same spot. At least thats what i was told. Im by no means an expert. Could be completly wrong. My .02 is the build quality might be slightly better than a b&c but i dont think there is a night and day difference. It might be a good idea to go with the b&c and upgrade other components...trigger etc

I've owned both. The McM is hands down a better made stock from a production as well as ergonomic standpoint. Is it worth the extra money to you? . . . Well, you are going to have to handle both and find out. If you have a hard time getting your hands on a McM, just keep in mind that a relatively NIB one will retain value well if you decide that it is not for you.

I bed all of my stocks and even skim bedded my stocks that came with an aluminum bedding block. Good chassis systems have proven to both be reliable and accurate. At some point I may go that route down the road...I'd just probably end up putting a little bedding at the rear of the recoil lug. Bedding rifles is an addiction I can't break.

The McMillian is a much better stock. That's not to say that you won't be able to shoot as good with the b&c. They are not bad. I love my mcmillians a lot. But I sat go manners

You will like any of them really. Just find the model that you like the best and enjoy.

I've been in your position before, I have just been overwhelmed by good compliments to Mcmillan. So I ordered one like 4 months ago. They have like a 6 month back order. Also, their staff is very friendly and helpful. Not to say B&C isn't, I haven't talked to them.

.....Is it really worth the extra 500+ dollars.

I've also been reading up on chassis systems. Do they really help with accuracy? If so which one is a good one?

Yes, worth the money. Ditch that B&C. But be aware the McMillan might have a bigger palm swell than the B&C.

HS Precision PST026 models have my favorite palm swell. Not too fat but enough meat to grab.....:p Plus they're a few hundred cheaper than McMillan.

AICS are the only chassis systems I've owned and definitely noticed accuracy improvements with consistency.

It's not even a comparison. Better quality and better ergonomics. After having an MCM A5 with a ergonomic usable forend you will hate the forend of that B&C so budget for two stocks.

I have plenty of McMs, Manners, and a few B&C Tactical Medalists...and some PR&Ts for F-class too. Functionally, the B&C is just as good as the McM....shoots just as well. The aluminum bedding works great and the stock is as stiff as they come. If you want a better looking stock, one your friends will drool over, one in just the form factor you desire, one that is customized for non-factory actions or other options you desire....well those are all good reasons to buy a McMillan. Of course, you will pay a lot more for that. But don't let anyone tell you they shoot better scores with a McM than with a B&C...that's only true in their minds. :)

Last edited:
McM's are a much better stock. The A5 is what I put on my last build and the ergonomics are great!

I love my AICS, the adjustability, the aftermarket, the consistency are just some of its best attributes. And now with Viper Skins and a true pistol grip I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Now, an excellent stock and an chassis system are likely to produce the exact same level of accuracy if all other things were equal. I liked the chassis option and the flexibility it provides so that if the way I want. At the level of equipment you are talking about it all comes down to personal preference.

Matt

For composite stocks, the MCM and Manners are my favorite. My personal preference for "the classic feel" is Manners T4A (they have a hinged version now). For chassis systems, there's a whole bunch of good choices.

Mike at CS Tactical has Manners in stock, no wait times.
cstactical

Thanks everybody. I will keep you posted on what I choose. I met a guy this weekend that was shooting and Elisio chassis. Pretty impressive.

I have the McMillan A5 and the AICS 1.5 stocks. I haven't tried the B&C. I love the McMillan; and if I buy a third rifle, I will add a McMillan stock to it. For some reason I can't get comfortable enough behind the AICS. Nothing wrong with it, at all. It just doesn't work as well as the McMillan for me. My vote is go with the McMillan A5....

Thanks all. After thinking about it, talking to 1smalljohnson, and reading all the responses, for the time being I'm just going to swap the BC Medalist stock I have now between the 308 and 338NM. I appreciate all the replies and especially liked the video. When my new barrel is finished being installed I'll hopefully be able to tell ya how it shoots.
Thanks,
John

Last edited: