• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benchmark Barrels feedback please

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
What is your guys thoughts on benchmark barrels, compared to some of the bigger boys on the market?

I don't have one but from what I have seen in accuracy from 3 guys I know that run them on their match rifles they are as good as any other barrel out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ran most of the well known barrels on the market, but recently switched to Benchmark Barrels exclusively. I have the luxury of living 5 minutes from their shop and I have got to know the crew and see their operation up close. Their barrels hold numerous world records and they are definitely growing in popularity, Short Action Customs uses Benchmark barrels for many of their DTA setups, as well as others such as Primal Rights. As far as accuracy goes, they are every bit as accurate as any barrel I have used, all my Benchmark Barrels (chambered and installed by them as well) shoot well under 1/2", they also run turn some very fast velocities. I currently run 2 DTA barrels, a 6.5CM gas gun, they are in the process of a custom 243 build, and they did a 338 Edge and rebarrel on a Sako TRG I recently sold, all hammers.

Give them a try, you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurtG
Lots of the shooters here in the Northwest are using Benchmark barrels, quality and accuracy is as good as it gets. They sent some barrels to the UK, a new national record at 800 yards was set using a Benchmark barrel in 308. (ftr). The winner of their F-Open league was also using a Benchmark barrel in 300wsm. Pretty impressive for the guys from Arlington.

Running a benchmark in a 22-250. Phenomenally accurate. A button rifle barrel that holds with cut rifled barrels. I would buy another. Northwest Action Works uses them exclusively if I'm not mistaken. I run Benchmark and Bartlein; not to say I would pick up others like Kreiger, Shinlen, etc.

Have had all the big boy company barrels. Now I only run benchmark barrels. They make a super barrel. Great prices. Lower wait times. And they are just awesome guys.

Have about 5 on rifles now. Won't go to anything else.

I love their barrels! I should tell you I am related to one of the guys that works there, but I truely believe they have excellent barrels. You would'nt be disappointed.

Got my .260/.284 build back from them, using their switchbarrel nut system. They obviously did the barrels but also built my complete rifle. Can't say enough positive things about them. Great group of guys, who build an amazingly accurate rifle. When they were building my rifle they spent almost 2hrs walking me thru their machine shop showing me step by step the processes of making their barrels and answering questions... On a Saturday! Plus they are very active in the sport, actually hosting (not just sponsor) local shoots, encouraging me and helping with my first one. Like I said, awesome group of guys and I couldn't be happier having used them.

Final load development 5-shot group...think it should work...

Reactions: Orangeinthebarn
From the cold bore thread in the marksmanship section my experence with a benchmark 21" 6mm xc
After about 450 down the tube I decided it was time for a good cleaning with some sweets followed by CLP and patched till the patches were mostly dry.

Clean cold bore and cold shooter at 100 with four more.
6-12-14007.jpg

What I found interesting is, I had moved the scope forward for better eye relief a couple days ago. So I knew the zero might be off by a little... ended up not much at all. I opted not to move it till I had some additional rounds down the tube. After 10 rounds, the POI had settled .1 mil high or about where shot #2 is.

I reset my zero, tagged the 550 steel, 650 steel, hit the steel at 600 for a few then went straight to 1k... holding .5 mil left into the wind for....
6-12-14008.jpg

Almost called the wind right, LOL. IIRC, this is a personal, all time best for a 5 shot group at 1k for me, 5 into 5.08” or .485 MOA... Really like this 6xc barrel/caliber.

I have about 8-9 hundred on it now and it shoots great... when I clean it, it cleans as easy as my rock creek and maybe a little easier than my obermeyer. Interestingly, it seems to not shift much at all on a clean cold bore compared to my others... but there may be other factors at play than barrel quality there.

Last edited:
Wow!
Didn't know they are in Arlington!
They'll be getting some business from me in the future.

I like my .308 bbl I got from them I just ordered another in .223 for a Bolt action I'm building.

A great bunch of guys. Apparently a lot of people like their barrels because they're always busy and I'm not expecting my barrel/action back for another couple months.

One of my fellow shooters brought his Hawkeye to the range one day. He was trying to figure out how often he was going to have to clean his "Brand X" barrel which was from one of the largest names in the business. He had a serious copper buildup problem and it was hurting his accuracy in a big way. After 5 shots he had a huge streak of copper on top of one land.

We peeked down the bore of my benchmark barrel. After 100+ rounds since the last cleaning (and about 1K total round count), just running a dry patch through, the bore was nice and clean with a minimal amount of carbon and no copper. What was really graphic is how smooth the bore was compared to his.

I'm stuck on Benchmark for all my future barrels.

benchmarks are awesome. Mine has been shooting excellent. Price was really good from 3rd gen. This was first time out load devo. it kept every test load at .5 or better. My load stays around 1/3. I highly recommend one.

i have 4 rifles, barreled and chamber by benchmark plus a couple of buddies with a few builds on their tubes also. All three of us have the same 260 built, actions, stocks etc, they are twins. all three of them shoot same ammo with same dope but these 260 were built during a 2 year span, they even had the same unfired throat depth.
so yeah, benchmark makes good barrels and great shooting rifles.
cheers.

Thanks for the response boys,

Makes me feel confident as i am just finishing the pieces to my 260 rem build before i send it off to the smith around Christmas! Barrel will be ordered today and then when i return from the moose hunt the rest of the parts should be in and sent off!! just have to locate a good action for a good price or stick with the original plan and use my Remington 700! decisions decisions!

Build so far will be;

Blueprinted Remington 700 S/A
26" Benchmark Remington Varmint Contour Barrel
McMillan A5 stock (arriving Friday)
Jewel Trigger (Also arriving Friday)
PTG Bottom Metal M5 style

Parts for after hunt;
Badger or Surgeon Bolt knob
Muzzle Brake-undecided (JP, JEC or possibly APA)

And then all sent off and cerakoted and put together!

I had a Benchmark put on my M2013 in 338 Norma Mag and it shoot nice small groups. They even did a custom contour for me and it didn't take long for it to hit my door step. I ordered it first thinking that it would take the longest to get, it was the first thing that came in. I was shocked. They quoted me a time frame and I thought yeah what ever, typical industry, but they are true to their word and I actually got it sooner by about 3 weeks. The product is excellent. I will have no hesitation to have another one spun up.

xdeano

Last edited:
v7zd7a.jpg
235u7n.jpg

2qmztxf.jpg

308jx3t.jpg

Remington 700 6.5 creedmoor 24" with their brake. Broken in per their instructions and the first pic was shot 81-84. Barrel sends factory 140gr Amax's @ 2690 20fps slower than labeled 2710. She's a hammer tho.

Build has changed, i was able to locate a Stiller Tac 30 at an awesome price so i sold off the Remington and the Stiller should be here in a few weeks!!

They are doing a build for me currently as well, Defiance Deviant, heavy Palma @ 24" in 243 chambered for DTACs, Manners TF4A. It will be the match rifle for next year. Benchmark also tends to have wait times for builds that are often half as long as others, it varies obviously depending on business.

WOW! The only thing that could be remotely considered "bad" was that that a member's barrel ran 20 fps slower than expected!! In this crowd of demanding shooters - no bad news is amazing!!
I have a BenchMark barrel and was deciding what to do with it. After talking w/ BM today I am sending them a heavier contoured barrel back and they are gonna swap it for a lightweight barrel. They are also gonna install it on my Colt Light Rifle and chamber it in 6.5-06.

WOW! The only thing that could be remotely considered "bad" was that that a member's barrel ran 20 fps slower than expected!!

And that 20 fps could be due to lack of account for distance to chrono, ambient temperature, or even the chrono calibration.

My issue right now is that I still have another month to go before my new barrel and trued action will be ready.

11 years ago BM sent me a sample of some of the first barrels they ever made. Still have a couple in use on personal guns.

My big Overwatch Magnum and new experiemental gun both have them as well.

NO COMPLAINTS. They shoot, they machine well, and the folks that run the place have the poop in one neat little pile.

Buy with confidence!

the folks that run the place have the poop in one neat little pile.

Have you ever been to their location? If you haven't you have no idea how close to the truth that last part is. Let's just say that they are "Very Close" to a dairy farm.

Once again I have to repeat, you couldn't do business with better bunch of people.

Just had them rebarrel my rifle. Got it back two weeks ago. This was my second time out after break in. Nice five shot group. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413175875.416334.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413175885.666460.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up needing a new barrel recently for a .308 and bought a Benchmark 1-10 5R from 3rd Gen Shooter Supply. I only have 110 rounds down the tube since I installed it about a month ago but it is doing really well. It gives good velocity, great precision, and cleans really easily. Federal Gold Medal 175gn SMK and Hornady 155gn OTM shoots about .5-.6 MOA. I am getting 190gn SMK down range at 2650fps (ES 20fps, SD 9fps) and average around .3 MOA using Winchester cases, CCI BR-2 primers, and Reloader 17. I just started a ladder with 208gn Horandy A-MAX with Reloader 17 this morning and will be doing some seating depth testing with it this evening but it looks promising as well.

I understand this is a sample of one but this one is a good one.