• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benchmark vs H335 - Improving H335 Performance?

recurry

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
Hi All,

First off, I'm extremely new to reloading - just started this week, so maybe this is a dumb question, but here goes:

I loaded up a bunch of .223 in different powder charges using H335 for some and Benchmark for others. All of these had the same COL, same bullet, same brass (give or take).

I noticed that no matter the load, I couldn't get H335 to deliver more than 3/4 of an inch for me at 100 yards. On the other hand, 23.5 of Benchmark put five shots through the same hole, which I was amazed by - hand loading is definitely the way to go.

My question is - is there anything I can try to get H335 to perform better? I read on a couple of sites that when loading flake or ball powder like H335 it's a good idea to clean the flash holes on the cases, which I did NOT do for any of the brass that I used on this last run... is it worth trying that as well or will that really make a difference?

I know I can just stick with Benchmark now that I have a known-good load that works perfectly, but I have to hand-weigh each load since the stick powder doesn't measure consistently through the powder measure on my LNL press - I would love to work up something using a flake powder so I could crank rounds out for my winter coyote hunting trips.

Also, is there another flake powder that is popular with the SH crowd for loading .223?

Thanks,

Russ

Re: Benchmark vs H335 - Improving H335 Performance?

For 52grs SMK , I used 25grs of H335 with Win primer and brass.
5rnds in 1 hole at 100yds.

For heavier bullets, I used Varget.

Never tried Benchmark in my 223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enios</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like to use mag primers with H-335 </div></div>

Ditto, especially on cases with more than 40gr of water capacity.

Thanks for the thoughts on this guys. I should probably try some other bullets as well, just using the 1K 55gr solid points that I got for free when I bought the press.

25.6 of H335 yields the best groups with a 55 in my bolt gun with 1/12 twist with CCI mag primers. For the most part AA2015 on an average yields the best groups. 24.2 grs in LC 06 brass and Rem 7 1/2 primers with a 40 Vmax on top is what yielded the 5 shot groups in my avatar and that's not the best it's shot. Just one of 12 different groups and loads I shot that day. 23.8 and a 52 Amax is it's favorite fodder.

Haven't shot any 62's but 25.3 of H335 and the 65 SGK shoots pretty consistent groups for me out of a 1/12 (which it shouldn't but does) at just under 3000fps. 24.5 of AA2015 gave the best groups with the 60 Nosler at around 3150. I can't swear how good because I can't find my targets but on my load work up sheet I had excellent under group size which normally means when working up group I had more than 4 5 shot groups under a 1/2"

These were worked up in Remington 700VS with the HS stock with the 26" varmint barrel. Rifle worthy of a Nightforce but it will stay on the 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">may want to give BLC2 a try.... Meters well & shoots great pushing 62 grainers out of my 1/9 twist AR...... </div></div>

Thanks - I'll definitely try moving up to some heavier bullets. I have a 1:9 ratio in my LTR, so I'll try that combination next time around and see what happens there. I have to try some different primers as well - when I first started reloading I didn't understand that they can make a difference, as people are pointing out, and I was just using a couple old boxes of primers that a friend gave me to play with. I'll try taking those up a notch as well.

Cheers,

Russ