Benchmark vs H335 - Improving H335 Performance?

recurry

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
Hi All,

First off, I'm extremely new to reloading - just started this week, so maybe this is a dumb question, but here goes:

I loaded up a bunch of .223 in different powder charges using H335 for some and Benchmark for others. All of these had the same COL, same bullet, same brass (give or take).

I noticed that no matter the load, I couldn't get H335 to deliver more than 3/4 of an inch for me at 100 yards. On the other hand, 23.5 of Benchmark put five shots through the same hole, which I was amazed by - hand loading is definitely the way to go.

My question is - is there anything I can try to get H335 to perform better? I read on a couple of sites that when loading flake or ball powder like H335 it's a good idea to clean the flash holes on the cases, which I did NOT do for any of the brass that I used on this last run... is it worth trying that as well or will that really make a difference?

I know I can just stick with Benchmark now that I have a known-good load that works perfectly, but I have to hand-weigh each load since the stick powder doesn't measure consistently through the powder measure on my LNL press - I would love to work up something using a flake powder so I could crank rounds out for my winter coyote hunting trips.

Also, is there another flake powder that is popular with the SH crowd for loading .223?

Thanks,

Russ

ssgp2

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2004
montreal,Canada
Re: Benchmark vs H335 - Improving H335 Performance?

For 52grs SMK , I used 25grs of H335 with Win primer and brass.
5rnds in 1 hole at 100yds.

For heavier bullets, I used Varget.

Never tried Benchmark in my 223.

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enios</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like to use mag primers with H-335 </div></div>

Ditto, especially on cases with more than 40gr of water capacity.

recurry

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010

Thanks for the thoughts on this guys. I should probably try some other bullets as well, just using the 1K 55gr solid points that I got for free when I bought the press.

Enios

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2009
North East Alabama

25.6 of H335 yields the best groups with a 55 in my bolt gun with 1/12 twist with CCI mag primers. For the most part AA2015 on an average yields the best groups. 24.2 grs in LC 06 brass and Rem 7 1/2 primers with a 40 Vmax on top is what yielded the 5 shot groups in my avatar and that's not the best it's shot. Just one of 12 different groups and loads I shot that day. 23.8 and a 52 Amax is it's favorite fodder.

Enios

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2009
North East Alabama

Haven't shot any 62's but 25.3 of H335 and the 65 SGK shoots pretty consistent groups for me out of a 1/12 (which it shouldn't but does) at just under 3000fps. 24.5 of AA2015 gave the best groups with the 60 Nosler at around 3150. I can't swear how good because I can't find my targets but on my load work up sheet I had excellent under group size which normally means when working up group I had more than 4 5 shot groups under a 1/2"

These were worked up in Remington 700VS with the HS stock with the 26" varmint barrel. Rifle worthy of a Nightforce but it will stay on the 308.

recurry

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">may want to give BLC2 a try.... Meters well & shoots great pushing 62 grainers out of my 1/9 twist AR...... </div></div>

Thanks - I'll definitely try moving up to some heavier bullets. I have a 1:9 ratio in my LTR, so I'll try that combination next time around and see what happens there. I have to try some different primers as well - when I first started reloading I didn't understand that they can make a difference, as people are pointing out, and I was just using a couple old boxes of primers that a friend gave me to play with. I'll try taking those up a notch as well.

Cheers,

Russ