• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benefits of a custom action vs a stock Rem 700?

Flakbait

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2010
Houston, Texas
What is the true benefit of a using a high quality custom action $$$ versus using a factory Remington 700 action that has been "blueprinted" by a good gunsmith to square up the barrel for perfect alignment/close tolerances.

Is it just bragging rights?

Does that tiny bit of extra close tolerance with custom high end Rem 700 like actions translate into better accuracy for a tactical rifle (non benchrest)?

I thought most important accuracy components of a tactical rifle were the following:

1. Good bedding of the stock or aluminum pillers for a free float barrel in a rigid stock.
2. Good, high quality barrel
3. Tight chamber with minimum SAAMI specs rather than loose chamber
4. Close fitting of barrel to the action with good concentricity

Re: Benefits of a custom action vs a stock Rem 700?

i think this is the third time this EXACT question has been asked in as many days.

Sorry, I have trouble looking through 4 years and 500+ post. Thanks for the help.

Don't feel bad. I asked this question like a day after the first one posted. I think its funny myself. That's why its a forum..a place for questions. I should research things a little more than I do...but I ask any question that I have at the moment cause my long days at work don't allow me to...so I ask it & keep checking in from time to time. Good luck to you.

No worries. I think forums die an awful death when every response to a question is, "Do a search. It's been discussed already."

Although, I've been guilty of being an ass a few times...We're all human.