• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benefits of Annealing?

Pointblanktx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2012
Tampa, FL
I know you mainly do it for neck consistency, but does it really extend brass life? I have done a lot of reading and am not able to get any kind of answer regarding the brass life. I know there are a lot of variable to brass life like charges, primer pockets, etc. so I am just curious if it helps.

Re: Benefits of Annealing?

I think the longevity would be implied. Softening the necks should lower the likelihood of split necks.

I just started annealing recently and so far it appears to help with case life due to softening of the neck area. However, in my case (pun intended!) the primer pockets tend to open up before the necks would split. So it may be a moot point for me. But as far as neck tension goes I did a 600 yard test with 5 loads that I had tested the day before and group sizes did shrink by an average of 0.5" to 1" (weather conditions were approximately identical). I used Norma brass in a 300 WM that had been fired at least 4 times prior to annealing. I neck size with Redding Competition Neck Bushings.

I just started annealing recently and so far it appears to help with case life due to softening of the neck area. However, in my case (pun intended!) the primer pockets tend to open up before the necks would split. So it may be a moot point for me. But as far as neck tension goes I did a 600 yard test with 5 loads that I had tested the day before and group sizes did shrink by an average of 0.5" to 1" (weather conditions were approximately identical). I used Norma brass in a 300 WM that had been fired at least 4 times prior to annealing. I neck size with Redding Competition Neck Bushings.

I anneal my brass every 4 or 5 firings, and it could just be me, but I swear that it tightens the groups up. Around firing 5 groups expand, anneal, they get slightly better, but they seem to be best after firing 2/3. Could just be a good/bad days though.

I anneal all my rifle brass and besides extending case life there are other benefits as well. Accuracy will generally be improved through achieving more consistent neck tension. Sizing is generally easier and FL sizing more consistent.

Now are you guys using the various automated machines that are on the market, or are you doing it by hand (torch/drill) etc.?

I guess Im trying to decide on the $500 investment in an annealing machine will be worth it or not. I know its a decision I have to make, but just want to get the views of the people who have them or are doing it now.

I used a 3/8 drive 1/2 deep socket for a while, it worked, last year I built a machine from JMorris plans, much more uniform than by hand, now I want Bench Source machine because I'm too lazy to redneck engineer a way for the cases to rotate while in the flames, my advice is do it by hand in a dark room until funds are there for a machine.

Use to anneal my by hand but eventually acquired a Bench Source machine not so much for the speed but for consistency. Well worth the investment and even use on small batches of brass. Once you get familiar with it, setup takes a few minutes and you are ready to go.

I anneal ever other firing, but I lose brass to loose primer pockets after 5 or 6 re-loadings. It's an accuracy thing rather than a longevity thing to me.

I anneal by using a drill, a propane torch, and a couple vises to make sure everything stays in the same spot, mixed with a very annoying/loud beeper/timer. The benchsource machine is much better for consistency, but since I just shoot by myself for fun I cannot justify buying it.